Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Got the pink stuff covered as described in this thread.

One thing I didn't see is any discussion on the batteries (sorry if I missed it here).

We have an Xantrex Inverter/charger with the 3 stage charger. I suspect the key here is to plug it in to shore power and leave the house battery switch ON. How about the chassis batteries?
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #86

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
Hi Camato5,

We have the same motorhome, I have the 2013 version EX. I wanted to mention that the ice maker solenoid is behind a small door outside, on the driver's side about eye level. It might be a good idea to drain the ice maker and get pink stuff into the ice maker too, since that valve is on an outside wall.

Also, we ran the washer through a cycle with hot/warm and cold water to get the antifreeze into that system as well.

I thought it was funny that I had to call Thor to find out where the shut off valves are for the water heater, they didn't know! By the time they found it somewhere in the prints, I had already realized it was behind the water heater itself, in the basement, behind a small panel requiring 4 screws to remove.

Good Luck with your Tuscany!
Thanks for the info Musikboy. I have been looking for that WH bypass, also good info about the solenoid on the ice maker. We have yet to use our washer but I think I can get to it from a panel inside the bedroom. I think my WH and washer will be ok because I have a space heater in the coach set on 45° but I do need to check that solenoid. is it tied to a water line?????
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Thanks for the info Musikboy. I have been looking for that WH bypass, also good info about the solenoid on the ice maker. We have yet to use our washer but I think I can get to it from a panel inside the bedroom. I think my WH and washer will be ok because I have a space heater in the coach set on 45° but I do need to check that solenoid. is it tied to a water line?????

The bypass is typically a kit you have to add yourself. Your washer and ice maker both have solenoids. They are electric valves located between the water feed and your appliance that come on when it calls for water.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pink stuff

Camato5, the hot water tank bypass valves are behind a panel in the basement behind the hot water heater, 4 screws removes the panel.

The interior electric heater will not save your HW tank or your washer in deep winter weather, I made the effort and winterized both. I made the mistake of pumping pink stuff into the HW tank before I found the shutoff so I did waste some antifreeze.

The solenoid is about eye level directly behind the refrigerator. It unlocks with the same key you use for your fuel tank.

Also, I poured pink stuff down the line which is the clean out, the flush, for the blackwater tank. There is a valve in that line that needs to be protected.

Hope that helps.
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #89

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winterized plumbing still useable coach

I was thinking of winterizing my lines then using bottled watter and antifreeze in the gray and black tanks so I could still use the toilet and have coffee, etc in the coach in cold weather....

Anybody have any tips? Water containers for the pottie? Gallon jugs? Bottled water for coffee?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would use 100% pink for all your black water flushing it is cheep enough. Use wipes and hand sanitizer for hands so as not to accidentally get any water in your sink traps. Better yet head south!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #91

93 Pace Arrow Diesel pusher.

I open all faucets (hot & cold), open the expansion valve on the HWH & then open two drain valves. EVERTHING drains w/o issue.
Every time I pull the hot rod out of the HWH it has no water.
Only put the pink stuff in the traps.
May years thru New Hampshire winter w/o issue. Many of those years not conneted to power! I just charge BOTH house & chassis batteries & then disconnect.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your lucky if all water drops out the plumbing fittings and valves, can retain water in bends and the seals in your toilet needs pink stuff so seal doesn't dry out.
Most WH's will retain some minor water in its bottom but not enough to worry about.
If you can avoid the extra addition of pumping in pink stuff into plumbing system your doing well.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #93

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I was thinking of winterizing my lines then using bottled watter and antifreeze in the gray and black tanks so I could still use the toilet and have coffee, etc in the coach in cold weather....

Anybody have any tips? Water containers for the pottie? Gallon jugs? Bottled water for coffee?
Good morning, Kent!

That is exactly what we do when using the coach after winterizing it and the temps are below freezing. We use bottled water for coffee and the toilet, and use hand sanitizer instead of soap and water. We have full hook-ups at home, so we simply dump the tanks once we get back.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Good morning, Kent!

That is exactly what we do when using the coach after winterizing it and the temps are below freezing. We use bottled water for coffee and the toilet, and use hand sanitizer instead of soap and water. We have full hook-ups at home, so we simply dump the tanks once we get back.

Bruce
Plus I did pee in a reservoir for extended stay, but not the wife, I bought a 2 gallons black reservoir at Walmart, the one you use for oil change, it has a big opening, I also use the pink stuff to mix in the waste water.

What I did before when I was short on water, I used an external water reservoir then put the hose in, just like you do when winterizing. After, I air purged and got the pink stuff back in.

But I think the best thing I done was to get some warm air duct in the basement, it should prevent anything from freezing.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #95

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Musikboy, I was going to purchase a w/n bypass kit but decided to look at the water heater set up first. Luckily I found that the 2014 Tuscany has one already installed so I bypassed as you suggested. Also looked for the solenoid on the icemaker in the keyed door you described and found a by pass valve there too. I drained the small hose going to the ice maker too (it was already drained) I think I have everything drained now but will keep the heaters on for safety sake HA. It does not freeze here for very long. Most of our winters in Arkansas have freezing temperatures but get above freezing in the day time. There are times it gets pretty crappy here though.
thanks for everyone's help, My 5er I used to have was not that complicated and neither is this Tuscany once I did it the first time. I did make a list of everything I turned and opened and drained though. This way when I crank da bus back up I will remember everything I did to winterize. ( a mind is a terrible thing to waste ha)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #96

Carolina Campers
Well, we finally got a couple of days and nights of that cold stuff in NC. Luckily, my coach sits on a pad beside my house when I am home with 50 amp shore power. So I winterized by turning my heater up to 65 degrees.... As my unit has ducts into the basement areas for both the fresh water and gray & black water bays, it should be fine until it gets back to 70 degree temps during the day and 60's at night next week... Then I am heading to FL later in December to maintain the 70's or better.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #97

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winterized our MH and wouldn't you know it... hasn't dropped below 44 degrees since.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #98

Freightliner Owners Club
better safe than sorry

Tags
winter