Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,726
Winterize!!!!!

Have people looking to winterizeing I'm afraid, here it is, so sorry.
__________________

__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Next week after trip I am on now
__________________

__________________
Ocean bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,614
Ha! "Winterize", for us, means moving our cool-weather clothes from under the bed. ;-)
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 227
Do you use the pink stuff or is air pressure sufficient?
__________________
kidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,948
Pink stuff in the blown out piping is good insurance against trapped water.

FWIW I will dump before heading home on out last trip out. Anything that goes down the toilet or sink after that will not be enough to be an issue. After I get home I will open the drain on the water tank and pull the plug out of the hot water tank. Then I will set up an air line to blow out the lines with. I don't use a lot of pressure but to be safe I open the water faucets first. Give it 5 minutes or so. Make sure all the faucets get opened.

After the compressor is done I have a shut off at the water tank output and a connection point for the pump input. I shut off all the valves, set the bypass on the HW tank. Turn off the pump and set up the tubing to draw antifreeze out of the jug. Then I turn on the pump and let the pump draw in as much of the jug as it will to pressurize the system. If it sucks in the whole jug I screwed up and it is probably going into the HW tank. (It goes in fast enough that it is hard to make a decision before the jug is gone.) When the pump stops because the lines are pressurized I open each valve in turn and let out the air and antifreeze mix. By the time I do both faucets at any sink I have a reasonable load in the trap for the sink. Ditto shower. Flush the toilet until the antifreeze runs out. I also crack the valve back into the fresh water tank to get a little antifreeze into the the valve body. I usually do the same with the two valves into the HW tank. It does not take a lot but it takes care of any pockets in the valve body that trap a bit of water. Don't forget the outside shower. That will take me about 2 gallons of pink stuff. If I have a bit left I dump it into the traps.

I am very fussy about what antifreeze I buy. There are 2 versions. The more expensive is straight glycol. It can be diluted. The cheaper stuff is a mix of water and glycol for a couple of dollars less. My thought is that most of the lines do not matter as long as they are reasonably empty. The problem is water trapped in valve bodies and traps. I would rather put in the good stuff and dilute the trapped water instead of putting in the cheap stuff and blowing a valve body (BTDT) with a mixture that has too much water in it.

The other thing I do is put a couple of pieces of styrofoam in the outside shower. one is cut to go around the valves and the other goes over it. On out unit there is no insulation over the outside shower but it shares under cupboard space with the water heater. If we take off for warmer climes I can water up the fresh water tank and head out. I dump the HW bypass before I put the plug back but I do not dump out the outside shower. Fill the HW tank and run the residual anti freeze into the waste tanks. That way I can use the water for everything but drinking the first day out and still have some protection on the outside shower. By the end of the second or third day out we are in weather warm enough to dump and flush the system to get rid of any residual antifreeze. It also pays to dump a gallon or two of water and some detergent down the toilet to liquify anything that has dried out in the bottom of the black tank.
__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Ha! "Winterize", for us, means moving our cool-weather clothes from under the bed. ;-)

Same here! (-:
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
Member
 
GoldWing2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Nottingham, PA
Posts: 99
This is going to be the first time I have had to winterized a rig with an Ice maker, washer/dryer and dishwasher. Curious how to do that, I guess i have to run the units with The anti freeze on the water lines? I think it's going to take a little longer this year.
__________________
Rod and Emma
2015 Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL9, 380hp, 28ft Car Hauler Trailer, 2014 Ford, C-Max, 2004 Honda VTX1800, 2003 Honda Gold Wing, GL1800 w/2 Seat Champion Sidecar
GoldWing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Pink stuff in the blown out piping is good insurance against trapped water.

FWIW I will dump before heading home on out last trip out. Anything that goes down the toilet or sink after that will not be enough to be an issue. After I get home I will open the drain on the water tank and pull the plug out of the hot water tank. Then I will set up an air line to blow out the lines with. I don't use a lot of pressure but to be safe I open the water faucets first. Give it 5 minutes or so. Make sure all the faucets get opened.

After the compressor is done I have a shut off at the water tank output and a connection point for the pump input. I shut off all the valves, set the bypass on the HW tank. Turn off the pump and set up the tubing to draw antifreeze out of the jug. Then I turn on the pump and let the pump draw in as much of the jug as it will to pressurize the system. If it sucks in the whole jug I screwed up and it is probably going into the HW tank. (It goes in fast enough that it is hard to make a decision before the jug is gone.) When the pump stops because the lines are pressurized I open each valve in turn and let out the air and antifreeze mix. By the time I do both faucets at any sink I have a reasonable load in the trap for the sink. Ditto shower. Flush the toilet until the antifreeze runs out. I also crack the valve back into the fresh water tank to get a little antifreeze into the the valve body. I usually do the same with the two valves into the HW tank. It does not take a lot but it takes care of any pockets in the valve body that trap a bit of water. Don't forget the outside shower. That will take me about 2 gallons of pink stuff. If I have a bit left I dump it into the traps.

I am very fussy about what antifreeze I buy. There are 2 versions. The more expensive is straight glycol. It can be diluted. The cheaper stuff is a mix of water and glycol for a couple of dollars less. My thought is that most of the lines do not matter as long as they are reasonably empty. The problem is water trapped in valve bodies and traps. I would rather put in the good stuff and dilute the trapped water instead of putting in the cheap stuff and blowing a valve body (BTDT) with a mixture that has too much water in it.

The other thing I do is put a couple of pieces of styrofoam in the outside shower. one is cut to go around the valves and the other goes over it. On out unit there is no insulation over the outside shower but it shares under cupboard space with the water heater. If we take off for warmer climes I can water up the fresh water tank and head out. I dump the HW bypass before I put the plug back but I do not dump out the outside shower. Fill the HW tank and run the residual anti freeze into the waste tanks. That way I can use the water for everything but drinking the first day out and still have some protection on the outside shower. By the end of the second or third day out we are in weather warm enough to dump and flush the system to get rid of any residual antifreeze. It also pays to dump a gallon or two of water and some detergent down the toilet to liquify anything that has dried out in the bottom of the black tank.
This sounds like a good plan, especially to let the faucet closed then charge it with antifreeze, I will try this.

Thanks
__________________
kidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bamber Lake
Posts: 364
40+ years and never used the pink stuff only air and some pink stuff in all the traps. If it ain't broke why use it.
__________________
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,726
I never have blown out lines on my coach, have low point drains, open drain for HWH, operate the by-pass valves turn opposite from summer operation, open all faucets, remove filters, drain ice maker by removing hoses feeding the water valve in back of fridge and the one up to ice maker. What water left in ice maker remove with paper towels or sponge. No anti in ice maker.
Once all drained pump in the pink stuff using the water pump siphon hose and collect the water at each faucet that's left in lines than some pink in a bottle.
ADD anti in all traps and extra to feed to back of drain valves of black and gray tanks.
If you have a whole house filter push in the tab of check valve of city water hose inlet so the short pipe from filter to city water inlet has the pink stuff all so.
If you have a washer dryer check the link in first post its all covered there.
Next spring De-winterizing is there also plus sanitizing your water system.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
40+ years and never used the pink stuff only air and some pink stuff in all the traps. If it ain't broke why use it.
Actually, in my MH instruction book, they describe the two methods, one with air pressure, the other with the pink stuff, no preference mentionned, it says the method choosen is up to the owner. You still have to get some pink stuff in all the drains.

It says the MH will use 5 gallons of pink stuff if you use the pink method. Sometimes I winterize 2 or 3 times a year, period before going south, before comming back and sometimes boonducking in the cold. I would prefer not to use the pink but I am also afraid of some water left in the lines.

I would think that the water left in the lines would freeze up but since it is so little it would have enough space to expand in the line itself without braking the lines. These are PEX lines and I would think it can take some epansion without braking.
__________________
kidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welches, Oregon
Posts: 798
What about your residential fridge? Last year I didn't think about and my filter inside the fridge froze and broke. The valve also broke apart. Easy replacement, but I'm going to heat tape them and take out the filter this time. I also don't like the inside of the RV going below freezing. Concerns are the three TV's and washer dryer.
__________________
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sheboygan WI
Posts: 83
Can you leave the batteries in through the Wisconsin winter? Thanks
__________________
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,948
The problem with the air method is not the PEX lines. It turns out to be water trapped in the valve bodies. Learned it the hard way the second or third year we had a MH and one of the HW tank bypass valves cracked. That's why I use the good stuff and run it through the valves that are normally off. It only takes a little to push any water out or at least dilute it with antifreeze.
__________________

__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Specifics on how to winterize Coachman Chaparal Lite slepe67 Forest River Owners Forum 5 09-12-2014 09:53 AM
Should I winterize my coach for Arkansas Indoor storage michguy Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 09-10-2014 02:31 PM
To winterize or not? MARY A Class A Motorhome Discussions 13 07-08-2014 10:21 AM
99 HR Endeavor 37WDS dewinterize and winterize for Florida trip... Bad Bolt Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 01-06-2014 06:48 PM
Do I have to winterize my TT? bandsmills Travel Trailer Discussion 20 12-12-2013 05:28 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.