RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winterize in East Texas?

We have recently moved to Nacogdoches, TX (east Texas) and am not sure if we need to winterize our Class A gas motorhome or not. It looks like we will get below freezing at times, but not like it was in the mountains where we moved from.
Is anyone in this area and know if we need to winterize or not? We want to use it 2 or 3 times this winter. It is parked at the house so we can just run the furnace if it is only going to freeze a few times.
Thanks for any local advice.

wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
You know what they say about the weather in Tx.
I have mine in an enclosed garage but no heat. I have never winterized it, I also like to do some winter camping.

if it gets bad enough turn on some heat or use a portable safe heater. Just pay attention to the cold snaps.

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
We have recently moved to Nacogdoches, TX (east Texas) and am not sure if we need to winterize our Class A gas motorhome or not. It looks like we will get below freezing at times, but not like it was in the mountains where we moved from.
Is anyone in this area and know if we need to winterize or not? We want to use it 2 or 3 times this winter. It is parked at the house so we can just run the furnace if it is only going to freeze a few times.
Thanks for any local advice.
We are in north central Texas so it will get colder here. I have not winterized in four years and we have had temps down to 16 degrees for four nights. If it's going to get in the mid 20's I'll set the furnaces at 50-55 degrees and maybe put a tiny heater in the wet bay if the forecast is into the teens. I have a four station thermometer that I can monitor remotely and have never seen temps below 36 degrees in the wet bay. If your furnace puts heat into the wet bay, you should be just fine. We also like to go occasionally during the winter months so I don't want to winterize/de-winterize every time.
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks. I appreciate your replies and your insight. I will not winterize, but will use the furnace if it will stay below freezing for a good while.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #5

We live south of Ft. Worth and I do winterize our MH after each use in the winter. Our unit is stored under cover, but open to the temperatures. I use the pancake compressor setting the pressure to 40 lbs and blow out the lines using an adapter attached to the fresh water intake. I also open the line to the fridge ice maker. It takes about 15 minutes to winterize, and without any water, there cannot be any water damage from freezing water.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

I say it depends on if you can maintain internal temperature, have power where the RV is stored, etc. I am about 90 miles southeast of you in western Louisiana, and don't winterize, however I do store my coach in a non-insulated shed where there is power, and did have to replace a low point drain valve that froze and cracked a year or so ago. (I had a small 250 watt personal heater running in the wet bay, but the power went out during the night, I don't know how cold it got in the shed, but it was 23 in there when I checked on it at 10 am the next morning) Of course last winter we had a 40+ year low low 12F and 13F two nights in a row here, so remember just because it usually does not get that cold it can happen. Very rarely it even gets cold enough here for long enough that ponds freeze over, but even that can happen, I have only seen that once around 1986, and at that time many of the older folks said they had never seen that happen before.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

For peace of mind, I would suggest to winterize the MH. Once you do it a couple of times, it becomes pretty easy to do. Some people will just blow out the lines and you should get by with a min use of RV antifreeze.
We spent 2 winters near Houston and it got into the teens one time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would open the low point drains and keep the tanks (black, gray, potable, water heater) empty. Instant RV just add water.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I appreciate all the helpful responses. It is supposed to get in the lower 20's tomorrow night (I didn't realize it got that cold here, especially in November); so I have drained all the water lines and blew them out with my pancake air compressor and drained the fresh water tank and hot water heater.

One question I have is "do you close the low point drain valves and the fresh water tank valve - or do you leave them open?

I can not drain the black and gray tanks as I do not have a sewer connection at home, where I store the RV in the driveway where it is connected with a 30 amp outlet. Will I be OK just pouring a little antifreeze in the black and gray tanks? That way I will have antifreeze in the traps under the sinks also.

Thanks, Wade Griffin
Old 11-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

I suspect you will be fine with the black and gray tanks for this short dip down to the low 20's as it will only last 12 hours or so. This should not be long enough for that volume of water to freeze, plus it is not exactly pure water so the freezing point will be suppressed some.

I just got home from a trip to AZ and NM last weekend, my coach has enclosed tanks in the basement, but exposed drain pipes and dump fittings. On one night on my trip the temperature made it down to 18F with temperatures below freezing for about 15 hours. This is the only time I have had trouble dumping my tanks as the contents of the drain pipes started to turn to slush, and it took about 30 seconds for the water from the tank to push the slush plug out of the pipe and through the hose when I opened the dump valve the next morning around 10 am when the temperature was up to 37F.

Ike
p.s. if you can run some heat inside the coach overnight tomorrow night, also heat up your water heater if you have not pulled the drain plug. That way water you missed will not freeze and crack stuff (think sprayer hose, toilet valve, shower fitting, etc.). This sort of temperature is very rare for November, but not uncommon for January or February in the region.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure you drain the water heater, clear the inside and outside shower valves and toilet valves. Put the pink antifreeze in the P-traps.

Ken
Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #12

We're about 90 miles south of the OP so I'm sure he gets a little bit colder than us. We always get a few days of below freezing every year but rarely do temps go below 20 for any length of time. Our rig is under cover but not enclosed, so it is exposed to the cold temperatures that come through at times.

I've never had to go through the trouble of using RV antifreeze down here. I don't do anything down to 30. If temps are forecast to go below 30, then I open all the valves inside the rig and drain the water lines through the outside shower, the lowest point on our rig. I sometimes drain the HW heater and furnace (stat at lowest setting) if temps are forecast to remain in the 20s for more than a few hours. A big portion of the gray and black tanks are in the wet bay where I sometimes place a 75 or 100 watt incandescent bulb. These steps have worked fine for many a year.

Tags
texas, winter, winterize