Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Winterizing

After seeing my electric bill I ask this: If your unoccupied RV is winterized, is there any benefit in running a space heater on cold nights?
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No benefit to warming a winterized unoccupied RV that I can see. I winterize it and leave it. I start the genset once a month and run it for two hours at about half capacity as suggested in my Owners Manual. To load the genset, I use the heat pumps.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Only to keep the mice warm IMO.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Not unless you want a warm place to hang out in like I do.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in Florida so 'winter' has a different definition here than in many other states, but I heat mine only on nights when it's predicted to get below freezing.
And as Motohomo mentioned, I'll also heat it if I'm going to do some work on it or just hang out there for a while.
Mine is stored at home, so turning on/off heaters is no real effort - unlike those who have to store them miles from home.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
No benefit to warming a winterized unoccupied RV that I can see. I winterize it and leave it....
Agreed you're just wasting money.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Agreed you're just wasting money.

Lori-
Thanks for the helpful comments. I'm from a nonchilly climate and don't want to break nothin or waste nothin. Have a great day.
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Southeast Texas here so i haven't ever had to fully winterize. I usually just drain the water from the lowest point and call it good. Well, this season has been colder than usual with several below 20° temps. Knowing there was probably still a bit of water in the lines, i decided to plug into shore and run the propane furnace. To my surprise, the wall thermostat is settable down to 33°, which i figure was a good temp to keep the chill down.

My reason for running the furnace is that i didn't add antifreeze or blow out the lines. I wouldn't have run the heat if i had done either of the above.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorVegas View Post
After seeing my electric bill I ask this: If your unoccupied RV is winterized, is there any benefit in running a space heater on cold nights?
No, not to my knowledge.

Tags
winter