RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Winterizing

I think I overdid the Anti-Freeze. I emptied all the water. I do not have a water heater bipass. I put 11 gallons of Anti-Freeze in because I couldn’t get the water to run bright pink then realized that I hadn’t drained my water heater. I panicked and added 3 more gallons.so that I could see the bright pink and now I have about 3 inches of Anti-Freeze in my tub that won’t go down. Obviously my grey tank is full. Now what? Did I screw everything up? I have. 1993 fleetwood Coronado 33ft

Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

So......empty the grey tank. It should be empty for winterizing anyway.

All the tanks should be empty.

And youíre sure thereís no bypass for the water heater? Youíre not supposed to put RV antifreeze in them. Nothing really wrong, but itís a waste of a lot of RV antifreeze when you bypass a drained tank.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think that at this point anything will be gained by purging your system other than the water heater.

You need to have a 360 degree view of your water heater to look for a bypass. You may have to remove a panel to get to the valves, but the black tank does need to be drained and flushed.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think that at this point anything will be gained by purging your system other than the water heater.

You need to have a 360 degree view of your water heater to look for a bypass. You may have to remove a panel to get to the valves, but the black tank does need to be drained and flushed.
Why would you need to drain and flush the black tank, he said the grey tank is full.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Why would you need to drain and flush the black tank, he said the grey tank is full.

Thank you for catching that.

Water heater....
Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terre View Post
I think I overdid the Anti-Freeze. I emptied all the water. I do not have a water heater bipass. I put 11 gallons of Anti-Freeze in because I couldnít get the water to run bright pink then realized that I hadnít drained my water heater. I panicked and added 3 more gallons.so that I could see the bright pink and now I have about 3 inches of Anti-Freeze in my tub that wonít go down. Obviously my grey tank is full. Now what? Did I screw everything up? I have. 1993 fleetwood Coronado 33ft
You will be fine. Wash/rinse it all out in the spring. There is enough antifreeze in that grey tank that it won't freeze if you cant dump it yet.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

Should I dump some of it to get it out of the bathtub?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #8

Thank you everyone.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

I would dump the grey tank. If it is full , there wouldn't be enough antifreeze in in to prevent it from freezing. Freezing might not hurt the tank , but it may split the lines and valves. While you're at it make sure the black tank is empty. On some older RV's , without a bypass valve you had to remove the lines from the hot water tank and install a bypass hose. If your temps only get slightly below freezing , you might be ok.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I would dump the grey tank. If it is full , there wouldn't be enough antifreeze in in to prevent it from freezing. Freezing might not hurt the tank , but it may split the lines and valves. While you're at it make sure the black tank is empty. On some older RV's , without a bypass valve you had to remove the lines from the hot water tank and install a bypass hose. If your temps only get slightly below freezing , you might be ok.
My Gulf Stream Class C did not have a water heater bypass. I made up a hose to bypass the heater to winterize. Access to the heater was easy as it was under the bed. I just drained the heater and left the drain plug out for the winter.
If I was the OP I'd drain the heater, drain the tanks if possible and forget the price I paid for the antifreeze. Flush the system in the spring.
Lesson learned. Better safe than sorry.
Lynn
Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Step 1 and 2 and 3 are Empty the Black and then the Grey and the Fresh water tanks.
then empty the hot water tank. Leave the drain open for now.
Then bypass it either with a handy bypass valve or by rerouting the lines temporarily so the tank doesn't get antifreeze.
Open the low point valves.
Remove all water filters including a sink drinking water filter
Send 30psi dried compressed air into the city water connection and open valves until only air exits.
etc.
The process has been documented so many times I don't know why I am doing so again.
Ya just need to follow it.
If your grey tank is full, you didn't follow the steps.
don't wing it. You'll damage stuff for SURE.
Is the 1993 RV new to you? Who did the winterization other years?
It's not hard. You just have to follow the step by step (in order).
Old 11-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Step 1 and 2 and 3 are Empty the Black and then the Grey and the Fresh water tanks.
then empty the hot water tank. Leave the drain open for now.
Then bypass it either with a handy bypass valve or by rerouting the lines temporarily so the tank doesn't get antifreeze.
Open the low point valves.
Remove all water filters including a sink drinking water filter
Send 30psi dried compressed air into the city water connection and open valves until only air exits.
etc.
The process has been documented so many times I don't know why I am doing so again.
Ya just need to follow it.
If your grey tank is full, you didn't follow the steps.
don't wing it. You'll damage stuff for SURE.
You will still need to blow out the sink and bath tub drain "P" traps then fill the traps with antifreeze for odor control. The advantage to the pink RV antifreeze is protection from water droplets which can still be on faucet internals and the RV antifreeze will help keep faucet washers and the toilet valve soft and pliable during storage. The on board water pump will benefit from the RV antifreeze also.
Lynn
Old 11-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You will still need to blow out the sink and bath tub drain "P" traps then fill the traps with antifreeze for odor control. The advantage to the pink RV antifreeze is protection from water droplets which can still be on faucet internals and the RV antifreeze will help keep faucet washers and the toilet valve soft and pliable during storage. The on board water pump will benefit from the RV antifreeze also.
Lynn
Tell how to blow water out of a "P" trap??? Then-why, when the anti-freeze replaces it anyway??? I must have been doing it wrong the last 47 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Tell how to blow water out of a "P" trap??? Then-why, when the anti-freeze replaces it anyway??? I must have been doing it wrong the last 47 years.
If Dav L is going to use antifreeze he wouldn't have to blow out the P traps. He made reference to antifreeze in his post but didn't detail it any further. I just wanted to be sure he attended to the P traps.
I blow mine out after I run antifreeze through the lines to be sure no water is remaining in the traps. Then I add pure antifreeze which will not evaporate as fast as water or antifreeze mixture.
Blowing the P traps out is simple. You can pull the air line into the RV or do as I do and use a portable air tank. In the kitchen sink I screw the drain basket into the drain above the trap, wrap a rag around the blow gun on the air hose and slowly blow air into the open drain. When the drain stops gurgling I stop. Then I move to the bathroom drain and blow it out then do the same with the shower drain.
Once the traps are blown out I add the clear antifreeze.
My RV will sit in storage from the second week of October until mid May. I have been accused of going overboard with my winterizing methods but I continue to be as through as I can doing the winterizing.
I bought a TT back in the 80's which hadn't been winterized. I knew this when I bought it and the price I paid for it reflected it. It was a real job redoing all the plumbing etc. I'm not anxious to do it again.
Lynn

Tags
winter