Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of points, either way you are going to have to add antifreeze to the coach. The least hard on your "baby" is the inside storage, but at $900 you can purchase two exterior covers for the coach. Tires are made for the environment, just place something under them like a 2x6, that will protect them from the concrete or asphalt they are parked on.

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #58

What about just blowing them out and leaving them dry for the winter? And just add AF to the drains?

Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #59

Alpine Owners Club
You will get multiple opinions on blowing out the lines. My experience has not been good, I find no matter how long you blow the lines, some water will remain. If that happens it will accumulate in a low spot. While we have PEX lines in our coaches and they will expand more than copper, they still can freeze enough for the lines to break. I have heard of people blowing out the lines then adding antifreeze, this probably is the best method, but I go straight to pumping the antifreeze into my fresh water tank, then use the water pump to push the AF to all the lines in the coach flushing out all the residual water. Some folks argue that the AF can get diluted and they are right, but that diluted mixture is what goes into the p traps, and I run enough out the faucet that what is left in the trap is pure AF. One thing to be careful with, the valve on the back of the toilet for the spray head is a rigid plastic, so you MUST get all the water out, it will not stand any water left in it without breaking. This also applies if you have a refrigerator that has a ice maker or water in the door, those valves are plastic and can easily retain water.

Winterizing your coach is not complicated, select the method you feel most comfortable with and execute it carefully and you will be fine.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #60
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you need to really winterize here are some tips.
You can find more in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Wow, a lot of folks using huge amount of anti freeze. Instead of flushing with the pink stuff, i like to use the windsheild washer fluid, half the price.
I don't know why anyone would want to use something with a "Danger Poison" sign on the label. I'm surely not going to put this into my water system regardless of cost.
I am looking at a bottle of WW fluid right now. On the label with the skull and crossbone picture is a warning: " Fatal or causes blindness if swallowed. Vapors harmful. Flammable. Contains methanol. Cannot be made nonpoisonous. Keep away from heat, sparks or open flame. Keep out of the reach of children."
I buy my pink stuff on sale at a local hardware store when it's on sale. $1.99 per gallon buy one get one free. Limit four gallons. I'm in this store three to four times a week. The fellows there ring me up separately for each cash sale and I can take as many gallons as I want or need.
Lynn
Old 09-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonds corner View Post
What about just blowing them out and leaving them dry for the winter? And just add AF to the drains?
That's how I've been doing it for 40 years now--3 motorhomes and a house in WY where it gets cold, -30 deg. No pink stuff, no hassle, and it takes less time (for me at least). And when you want to use the coach again just put water in the tank and go.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My storage facility has very reliable power. For winterization I put two trouble lights, each with a 60w bulb, in every place that I need to keep from freezing. Been doing this for 10 years, works fine...been down to 8 degrees.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I realize that each of us is in a unique place in terms of our personal financial resources. But knowing that still doesn't stop me from being a little surprised when cost is cited as a driver for cutting corners on something like winterizing - whether it's using something other than the proscribed antifreeze or scrimping on the amount of antifreeze use - I just don't get it.

Even if/when I go "over the top" and use 10-12 gallons to winterize my coach - at $3.00 a gallon - it still represents a less than $40 investment to protect a vehicle that has a value significantly more than that. If cutting back a by a few gallons or by using the wrong type of fluid to save a couple of bucks - results in a "ineffective" winterization job - the cost and inconvenience to repair/replace fixtures and plumping is so significant that I just can't fathom even thinking about taking that risk.
I am new here and new to rving (I pick my first RV up Monday) but have been on Harleys for 30+ years. I have never understood paying so much for a vehicle and then wanting to save .50 or $1 on a quart of oil and the same goes for me when I will winterize my MH.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerman View Post
I am new here and new to rving (I pick my first RV up Monday) but have been on Harleys for 30+ years. I have never understood paying so much for a vehicle and then wanting to save .50 or $1 on a quart of oil and the same goes for me when I will winterize my MH.
IMO it is like going to the buffet and asking for the senior discount. It is the thrill of the deal. You hear the same thing when the discussion is about how much discount from MSRP.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO it is like going to the buffet and asking for the senior discount.
I have never asked for a senior discount. One of my saddest moments was when I went with the wife to a local restaurant for breakfast and got a senior discount without asking!
Lynn
Old 09-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #67
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have never asked for a senior discount. One of my saddest moments was when I went with the wife to a local restaurant for breakfast and got a senior discount without asking!
Lynn
My 80 year old dad loves the senior discount he wears his senior discount like a badge of honor and has no problem with being a senior. He doesn't need a discount for anything, he's just glad to be 80 and doesn't care who knows it.

Don't be sad be happy you've made it. My health sucks and I may not make it to a senior discount but if I do I'll be bragging about it.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Lynn
My sad day was going into Bojangles ordering coffee and being charged $.59.I
went out side to tell my friends the coffee was on sale, only to find out I got the senior discount. That's when reality hit me.
I know I am off topic, but I had to add this.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerman View Post
For me it has nothing to do with cost. I just don't like dealing with the pink stuff and having to clean out the system (including ice maker) when using the coach again. I do believe in protecting everything from any temperature--even below 0 deg. F.

Tags
winter