Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winterizing completely cover up MH

Local store has tarps at 50% off and am thinking of purchasing one to completely cover up my 2003 Airstream land yacht. The tarp is 60’X40’ that would completely enclose the MH. I live in Canada and do get a fair amount of snow. Is this a good idea or will it cause problems. IE moisture buildup. Of course I would do all the needed winterizing prior to the big cover-up. Any thoughts or past experiences? Good idea, bad idea?

Thanks.
Tom
RVtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #2

Good question: Hope someone answers as I was thinking the exact same thing....

Anyone cover their MH during the winter? Any need to?
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtomtom View Post
Local store has tarps at 50% off and am thinking of purchasing one to completely cover up my 2003 Airstream land yacht. The tarp is 60’X40’ that would completely enclose the MH. I live in Canada and do get a fair amount of snow. Is this a good idea or will it cause problems. IE moisture buildup. Of course I would do all the needed winterizing prior to the big cover-up. Any thoughts or past experiences? Good idea, bad idea?

Thanks.
Tom
I think most will advise you not to cover with anything that does not "breath" (allows moisture to escape). Otherwise, I think you will find moisture will build up under a tarp. A lot, including myself, do not cover, have an inside storage, or an RV/carport type cover if you have room and/or the $$$.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If any cover is not very tightly secured it can either rub a hole in itself or rub a spot on the MH. I agree with the covered storage option noted above. It's a little more money, but you don't have to worry about snow, sleet, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes covered storage would be best but because of supply and demand up here it is very expensive if you can find space. Tarp I was thinking about is 57'X37' (finished size) My MH is 32' X 12' high which includes a/c vents etc. This would leave ample tarp that I could secure to the ground with weights. This should eliminate the flapping tarp problem..sort of along the lines of shrink wraping a boat. Anyone else try this method?
Tom
RVtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If any cover is not very tightly secured it can either rub a hole in itself or rub a spot on the MH. .......
During a year of full timeing deciding on where to resettle and what to buy, I had to store my '65 Mustang outside. Kept its covered with a breathable car cover, but just the wind action caused some minor damage to the paint.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am told, especially with the new gel coat paint, that covers are not good. If you can't find indoor storage, then I would do a good waxing with a premium wax like Maguiars. Although I now have found indoor storage for the winter(Wisconsin), I kept it outdoors last winter and it weathered our winter really good with the wax. Good luck !
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
We are lucky that we live in an area where motor home garages are OK. After 6 years of being outside in the winter our motor home resides in a 15/40' garage. I certainly feel a lot better that this motor home will last longer being stored indoors when not in use. RV Covers have a tendency to rub the paint because of the wind.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cover always have---it has had benefits for me-----but I live in a gentler climate and have a storage situation that also shelters my rig somewhat with blockage on three sides.

I always hesitate to reccommed covering because I read so many unsatisfied users for too many sound reasons.

A breathable cover is a must and no matter how secure you believe it is it will rub guaranteed.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The worry I have when thinking of covering a motor home is this.

If the cover is lying on the motor home and a bit of "Grit" gets under the "Tarp" as the wind blows and the tarp moves.... SANDPAPER EFFECT.

Now, a "Car port" type structure, where the cover does not actually TOUCH the MH, Good thing in my book (if you put two standard car ports end to end to end and give them longer legs.. Just might work, seal the seam between them by sewing and/or awning tape and/or seam sealer) But anyting lying against the motor home could ruin the finish.

And I just got done with my fall wax job.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I have been covering my RV for the last 14 years from December to March with a Tyvek cover.

Few things I have learned:
- wash the MH before you put the cover on
- put mothballs, dryer sheets, or some other rodent deterrent under the cover
- make sure your cover is tall enough to cover the tires
- get the tires off the ground with boards and rubber mats
- wrap all sharp edges in duct tape
- 3 people is ideal for getting the cover on without dragging it on the ground (one on top of the MH and one on each side)
- even after you secure the cover (mine has ties that go under the coach), the cover will still shift from the wind
- I have not had any rub marks on my coach but have had awning parts tear through the cover
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Covers

I have used tarps in the past and they are quite rough and damage the finish. I then purchased fitted ones from Camper's World and I find no damage. I do add a couple of those yellow plastic grommets in the bottom and use extra rope on the bottom to keep it more snug. As said before try to buffer those pointy spots on the slide out awnings. If I see a wear spot on the cover I use extra wide duct tape and put a couple of pieces on both inside and outside of cover. You usually don't see that wear spot until you take the cover off. I put it away clean and take it off and it is still clean.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the topic. Had thoughts I would be able to run from the snow and cold, but it doesnt look like it will work out this winter. Now I have the decision to make about shed storage or purchasing a "nice" tyvek, 399.29 and covering it for the snow season. The storage shed will cost about 200.00 for the season. Thinking I will be using this MH full time next year on out. If I wasnt going to fulltime AND move down south I would lean towards purchasing cover. But I hear some problems can occur, mildew, scratches, etc. I cant really bank on getting my money back for it in resale. And will it really help against the snow any better than the others, cheaper, less expensive. Camping world has a tyvek for 399.99 for my unit. Other web pages has less expensive ones that suppose to be able to keep rain and dirt off, purchase price 200.00 cheaper. Please give me some feedback on different brand of covers and quality and durability... Thanks
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Walking around on the roof to place the tarp may increase the chance of falling off for many people. A tarp that big weighs a lot.

Also the cover can raise heck on the antennas and anything else sticking up over the roof. Just my thoughts.

Best wishes.