Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Winterizing fresh water tank

When I drain my fresh water tank there is about 1 inch on the bottom that I cannot get out. I have also tried to use an inside faucet to take out the last of the water.

I don't know why they don't put the drain on the bottom of the tank. Sure would make the job easier.

What do most of you do in this situation??

Thanks
Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I have a drain and leave it unplugged for the winter. Are you sure theres no drain plug?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I have a drain and leave it unplugged for the winter. Are you sure theres no drain plug?
There is a drain but only on the side. It is about as close to the bottom as they could get it but it leaves about an inch of water
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey big, I have this same problem. My drain comes off the side of the tank and takes a 90 degree turn out the bottom of the coach. Leaves about an inch..Hasn't caused me a problem in 2 cold Indiana winters so far.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Leave the tank drain valve open and if you have jacks tilt toward drain side if no jack take a drive and most water will come out a small amount will not hurt anything.
Leave the tank drain open in case any water in drain line will not back up and freeze pipe or valve.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Hey big, I have this same problem. My drain comes off the side of the tank and takes a 90 degree turn out the bottom of the coach. Leaves about an inch..Hasn't caused me a problem in 2 cold Indiana winters so far.
I was thinking that maybe if it froze it would take the path of least resistance which would be straight up. I am sure that someone who knows about these things will chime in....

I also did the same thing you were talking about last winter but we headed south before it got really cold
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Leave the tank drain valve open and if you have jacks tilt toward drain side if no jack take a drive and most water will come out a small amount will not hurt anything.
I did the jacks when I originally put it in storage. Helped a little bit, but still has about an inch in the bottom. We always go south in the winter but this year we are waiting to see what happens with the idiot's in DC

Tags
tank, water