Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Winterizing Ice Maker

Not sure how to winterize the ice maker. I use the antifreeze method for everything else but don't know how to get the stuff into the ice maker. Last year I disconnected the water line on the back of the frig and manually blew out the water but that was a major pain. I hope someone has a better suggestion.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
May not help - but - we have a water dispenser on our refrigerator. We ran the water dispenser until the pink stuff came out, thereby taking care of the ice maker. I'm impressed that you disconnected and blew out the water line. Not sure if you can trip the ice maker to fill with the pink stuff under pressure or with a compressor on the water line that would blow out the water/put in the pink stuff.

I'm sure others with more wisdom will chime in...

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI If your fridge has a water filter in it, the pink stuff might come out clear!! Ask me how I know? I went thru a gallon of the stuff before I realized it.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

Here is what I did not sure if it is correct or not. I have a standalone ice maker and not a unit in the refer.
I hooked up my air line to the water system at 35psi and left it under pressure. Let the ice maker cycle 2 batches of ice. Which emptied the line.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make ice with the winterization tube in the antifreeze until the cubes are pink.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer Ltd.
8.1 vortex

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylarson View Post
Make ice with the winterization tube in the antifreeze until the cubes are pink.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer Ltd.
8.1 vortex

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Wait......I thought anti-freeze would NOT freeze 😳
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Hi Bill,

I had the same dilemma. My ice maker winterizing instructions in the Winnebago manual seemed to be convoluted (and in my opinion, inaccurate). There is a solenoid for the ice maker BEHIND the fridge (residential) that must be protected by either antifreeze or by blowing the lines. Last year I disconnected the line, drained and blew out and the solenoid and yet it still froze and broke.

First, pull all filters. In my case, one under the sink and one in the fridge that does both the ice maker and the door water. If equipped, be sure to install a bypass plug. This year I did as mentioned by others on this post, I made two batches of ice until I got PINK slush ice. That should do it. When de-winterizing, do it without filters until all the pink is gone.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

Just drain the lines (one from fresh water filter/ system, other from ice maker to solenoid) and empty the solenoid strainer. Don't be concerned about the ice cube tray, it is designed to freeze, that's its purpose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just remove the inlet and outlet lines to the solenoid that feeds the ice maker. Remove the solenoid and store in a warm place.
Took me about 5 minutes. Gravity will drain the line that heads up to the ice maker and pink will flow to the supply line. Mine has a shutoff on the supply side so that pink doesn't flow constantly while pump is running.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Here is what I did not sure if it is correct or not. I have a standalone ice maker and not a unit in the refer.
I hooked up my air line to the water system at 35psi and left it under pressure. Let the ice maker cycle 2 batches of ice. Which emptied the line.
We have a U-Line ice maker. I can remove the front panel and disconnect the water line there, then at the other end I have a drain petcock on the low point.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Wait......I thought anti-freeze would NOT freeze ��
Correct! Frozen pink stuff indicates the presence of water (or maybe you're camping at the North Pole). Seriously, anti-freeze does have a freeze point, but I don't know if we see it in the continental US of A. Remember wind chill is an effect, and does NOT count towards freezing points. I believe the most that we can see is where it may turn to slush, but even then, it's not supposed to expand which is what causes the damage.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We have a U-Line ice maker. I can remove the front panel and disconnect the water line there, then at the other end I have a drain petcock on the low point.

I will need to check that out.
I just moved the RV into its new garage tonight. Last year 38 was the lowest the building seen inside. So may not need to worry about any of it.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #13

On a Dometic, the ice maker solenoid on the back of the refrigerator is powered by 120 volts.

1. Make a 120 volt pigtail with female spade fittings.
2. Disconnect the operating 120 volt wires from the solenoid.
3. Connect the 120 volt pigtail to the solenoid and plug it into a 120 volt receptacle.There’s one at the back of the refrigerator.
4. The solenoid opens and the pink stuff can flow through it to and out of the ice maker.
5. When you see pink stuff in the ice storage container, job done.
6. Disconnect pigtail from 120 power.
7. You can leave the pigtail connected to the solenoid until you de-winterize.Then just supply city water to the system. Reconnect the pigtail to 120 volts and flush the ice maker.
Good luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #14

Just circled back to this thread to see other postings. Some solid advice here. I sure wish I had a solenoid that was easy enough to get to for either the wiring or removal process. Unfortunately, my solenoid is located behind the fridge and through a small access door (maybe 10"x10") on the exterior. (Journey 36M) And then the solenoid main body and the wiring is located behind a large metal access plate attached to the back of the fridge with about 10 screws! For me it was a much easier option to run the pink through the ice maker. Very, very tight space

cheers,
Joopy

Tags
winter