Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Winterizing in 2017

I live in Maryland and have 2018 Winnebago Vista LX. Is it really necessary to winterize my MH in this state? Aren't they building MH's better than they did 10/15 years ago to prevent this issue?
sparkie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Water freezes at 0 deg. C and if your new rig remains in that freezing environment long enough, the science will not be denied. Sad but true.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Is it going to go below freezing for more than a couple of hours at a time? Do you want to take a chance on your new motorhome sustaining serious damage due to freezing?
The pipes will probably take the cold, but valves and joints in the pipes could easily crack if frozen. The water pump could be ruined if frozen, and the water heater could burst.
I would definitely winterize.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope!
If it gets below freezing for 24 hours the danger of frozen pipes exists.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie47 View Post
I live in Maryland and have 2018 Winnebago Vista LX. Is it really necessary to winterize my MH in this state? Aren't they building MH's better than they did 10/15 years ago to prevent this issue?
I'm 4 hrs south of you, and just winterized...

If you want to risk it and not put in antifreeze, then at least blow out all the lines with air. Hook up air compressor with a fitting to a garden hose, open all the lines one by one, cycle the washer, let refrig make air cubes overnight, put some antifreeze in each trap, drain all your tanks and hot water heater (after turning it off of course).

Just for grins, you can fill a glass with water and a couple plastic water bottles and stick it in your RV for the winter. See how they make make out.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
what are the winters like where you live? where I live...Chicago...we winterize and have been winterizing since we began this RV thing in 1986. how were RVs built 10-15 years ago that precluded the need to winterize?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The short answers to your 2 questions are: Yes, No (in that order)

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

On Friday 11/10/2017 it is predicted to go down to 20 degrees F and be below freezing for 11 hours in Maryland. So yes you do need to winterize. As mentioned earlier, you can use an air compressor to blow out all the water lines and put antifreeze in the drains and run it through any appliances that use water.

Or, you could take your chances and see if everything comes out OK. After all it's only $ 135/ hr to pay a repair man to fix what leaks plus the cost of materials.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

We are 20 minutes east of Dave and don't really plan on it. Many variables, and some that will vary year to year. I didn't winterize last winter and actually bought the coach just before some of the coldest weather of the season. One of the variables is connections. Ours is hooked to 30 amps and the house LP system, so I can run as much heat into it as I want. Last year we were only on 110. I left the water heater on and cabinets open. I work nights, so when it was really cold, I would turn the heat on over night. Our first trip was to Jordan Lake and we got up to snow on the ground that Sunday.
Worst case for me (hopefully) will be dumping the tanks and pulling the slide in.

Next year, we hope our version of winterizing will be backing into a heated bus garage, with about 4-5 more bays so we can rent Dave a space for his and he won't have the hassle of winterizing.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Winterizing in 2017

Here in Texas we seldom see more than five to ten nights a year below freezing, but a coach parked outside still needs to be winterized to some extent. Fortunately, ours is garaged and enjoys it’s own 50 amp service so we don’t bother with that.

A few years ago on this forum a chap from Canada asked a similar question, “How should I winterize my coach?” One of our resident wags told him, “Drive south until you cross I-10 and look for a place to park”.

I always liked that answer.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #11

I live in southern NJ not normally known for its harsh winters, however back in the 70's with my first TT with a bathroom I followed the advice of someone about blowing the lines out with air only. Unfortunately, condensation in the lines settled in a low spot and ruptured the copper lines. In the spring when getting ready for an outing guess what I was fixing. Since that time and several rv's later I've always believed in the pink stuff. Its cheap, doesn't take a whole lot of time and represents insurance against possible pipe and valve replacements. Now you can install a little valve on the inlet side of the water pump which is cheap and easy to install, hook up your little tubing and dump it into the jug of the pink stuff and in a few minutes you're done with a level of insurance that you're safe whether you get a hard or soft freeze. Just did it this morning myself, better safe than sorry.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! We Southerners are not really that well up on winter weather but I'm pretty sure others have covered it.

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Aren't they building MH's better than they did 10/15 years ago to prevent this issue?
No. Some MH's are not made better than 10-15 years ago.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

I blow out the lines AND use the PINK STUFF!!! Do it myself at a cost of UNDER $10 plus I enjoy doing it...then I know it's done RIGHT!

I'm sure someone will be more than happy to tell me where I'm wrong, however...I don't really care!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter