Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Winterizing in So.Calif.

I could use some advise from a senior RVer . This will be the first winter for my 2012 "Thor Hurricane" which I dont believe was insulated from the factory. I have read the advise in regards to winterizing, I obviously dont want to start blowing lines but The preperations sounds a bit extreme for my situation due to living in Southern California. The RV is stored in a Garage (Unheated) We also plan to use it for occasional trips this winter. So I would hate to have to Un-Winterize it, Then Re-Winterize it when we get back. I have been told there may be a "Red" and "Green" drain under the coach. If this is true and I drain these will that drain the water out of the rig completely including the lines??. That way when we go for a weekend can we just add water and go then drain it completely again when we get back. Does this make sense?? This is my first winter, and i am obviously green. ANY advice would be appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!!

raayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live in N.CA and have never winterized. I would venture a guess that unless it got into the mid 20s there would be no problems. If you are concerned drain the water heater and put your water hose away.

My personal opinions only.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
We lived in Southern CA and never winterized.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since your elev. is somewhere between 2,300 and 2,800ft. And it does get in the teens and 20's on few ocassions and even stored indoors, draining water lines and water heater is a good idea. I worked out that way a few times and froze my butt off. I do remember falling on my rear on the ice.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
My first reaction was "don't make me laugh". However, Mike's comments put me in mind of the fact that water is at its LEAST dense at about 25 Fahrenheit.

What this means is that -40 is not what splits your pipes, it is water turning to ice, and it can happen if the inside of your coach sustains 25 degrees for a couple of days you could have damage (you pretty much have to have everything freeze before it starts to split as the still liquid water will distribute pressure away from the expanding ice)

Drain your coach, drain your hot water tank, and make sure you drain your toilet valve as it is expensive and a small amount of ice can damage it.
2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
I live at 2600 feet and have never seen temps in the teens, and I can count the the number of times in the mid-20's. Generally I would not even consider winterizing unless temps were predicted to be below 32 degrees for more than 24 hours, and like I said, I've never seen that. Even on the rare occasions that temps do get into the high 20's it's never for more than 6-8 hours...usually.
Mark & Kathy, Rocket, Sadie & Ginger (Chihuahuas) So. Cal. FMCA 422677
2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38f 2016 RAM 1500 4x4
Swim, Bike, Run
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Depends on what part of "SoCal".

On the south side of the San Bernadinos or west side of the Sierras it just doesn't get real cold, but from Adelanto/Victorville/Lancaster north expect nightly temps in the 20's to low 30's from December through mid-February.

I'm at 2500 ft in the high desert and I drain the tanks and lines and leave it at that.

A couple of 100W light bulbs in the right places would probably work too.

It's more "West Nevada" than California!

I just noticed from your profile that you're from Lancaster, and it's 5 deg colder there than in Ridgecrest, so I'd definitely drain the tanks and lines, even if it's in a garage.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Thank You all for your comments. I will drain tanks and I think that will work!!!!
raayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Better safe than sorry. Drain everything.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Forest River Owners Club
RE: Winterizing

We are in Tehachapi. Have a new RV repair shop here, the Mech said he has been working on RV's for 25 years and only drains the lines here.... I'm new to this also, so still may pump in some anti-freeze.
Russ & Melody
Tehachapi, CA
2005 Forest River Georgetown 37'5", Ford, 3 slides
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post
We are in Tehachapi. Have a new RV repair shop here, the Mech said he has been working on RV's for 25 years and only drains the lines here.... I'm new to this also, so still may pump in some anti-freeze.
If I lived there I would not bother with anti-freeze, just open the valves and let it drain.

Winterizing is not a difficult thing - it takes me about 10 minutes on a big coach, and I have to do it several times a year because I often use the coach after we have freezing weather. The downside of antifreeze is it takes a fair amount of use to push all the unpleasant tasting and smelling fluid out of the pipes. And it is a bit expensive. I re-use the antifreeze when I know I will be re-winterizing, but I always use virgin product for the period where I know it will be in a deep freeze.
2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
How I Winterize

I live in central Wisconsin.

During the first 3 years that I owned my '96 Sahara it saw temps as low as -20 degrees F for stretches as long as 2-3 days in a row. (Some years there were more than one cold spell a year).

The past 7 years I have had to winterized twice a year because we now travel to warmer areas in early Dec and return in late March.
(The the coldest temps it sees now are in the late fall and early spring, 0 degrees F or above).

I have NEVER used antifreeze in the water lines, (the traps and washer yes).

Further I have NEVER "blown out" the water lines.

I open ALL faucets, and the low point drains.
I GRAVITY drain the water lines, water tank, water heater, and toilet.
I disconnect both the IN and OUT water lines from the water pump and run it 'till dry, (less than 2 minutes).
I disconnect the ice maker water lines at the solenoid, (located on the bottom, behind the front panel), and run it 'till it tries to get water, (the solenoid activates).
I drain the Splindide lint filter, (lower right, front), and run the washer through 2 rinse cycles, (I put 2 cups of the pink stuff in the tub after the 1st rinse cycle).

I have NEVER had a cracked plumbing pipe or a leak in the water system, and the ice maker and washer have operated as they should, each time that I have "summarized" the coach.

I am not suggesting or recommending that you do as I do.

I'm just saying how I winterize, and that it has NOT caused ANY freeze related problems.

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
I live in Orange county and have never winterized my coach. We spend about 20-30 days each winter in Mammoth skiing and only have issues when it drops below 10. I have wrapped all the lines that are exposed and have a small programmable heater in the compartment where my water heater is.

Mike Gosselin
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39S
Toad- 2013 Ford Explorer
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote