Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Winterizing issues

I have a 2000 Country Coach Intrigue that I am trying to winterize. We are first time owner/Rver's. Low points are drained. I was told I have to drain the hot water heater via water bung on drivers side of coach. Is this necessary to winterize the coach.
Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be able to bypass the water heater and then drain it using the plug. After bypassing the hot water heater than you would winterize both hot and cold the same way by turning on all faucets one at a time.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Take a quick inventory of water filters,washing machine,Insta hot and ice maker. Get back for more help. Those are the trickier points.
The washing machine you will want to run hot and separately for partial cycle to make sure each gets pink. Skip to final spin to get into its pump.
My friend and I made faucet hoses and a couple fittings into inline filter bypasses for ice maker and drinking water faucet filters. We could of made of pex or cpvc as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

this hot water heater does have a bypass. My problem is someone before our recent purchase, put a steel pipe plug into the aluminum heater bung that is on the outside of the coach, and where I am presuming I must drain the tank from. Consequently the 2 different metal have welded themselves together making it impossible to get the plug out. I have tried several products of a penatrating nature to no avail. drilling and retaping seems like the only option left and I really don't want to do that, but I can't figure out any other way. especially since I'm not sure I'm in the right location to drill.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Drill a hole in plug for now.
You could try an easy out with judicious heat.
You can put a water heater bypass in pretty easily if you can get to the back of the wh.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would take a propane torch and heat the alum around the plug to get it out.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
Dom

You could try a six sided socket to remove bung. Either way,once you have removed bung, try to find a brass one. A plastic one can be a pain, as they can strip easy. I have a brass one with a 1/4 mpf to 1/4 flare fitting, then a 1/4 inch flare cap. Then when I drain tank, all I have to do to drain tank is to remove cap. The bung would be a 3/4 mpf Available at most hardware stores
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Heat with propane torch and remove with a LONG handled breaker bar with a six sided socket. You can also bump with an impact wrench.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Like already said.Get the water out by drill a hole if going to be below freezing for 8hrs. Kano Kroil is best PB blaster is very good .Keep soaking it and tap at it a hundred times or so WITH small hammer ,vibes loosen it up not to mash it in. Heat is not gonna work if full of water. If you heat put socket on plug to tap heat away from it. Try to just heat one spot at top of the bung rather than all around it will distort the round hole more and not expand the plug as much. Impact can really help run it low setting for a while and spray again for vibration to loosen again before really trying to crank on it.
Good luck, use Teflon tape this time its a good release agent.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #10

I use air to winterize the RV. You might be able to remove most of the water from the water heater by using air. It's worth a try. One time on an RV I used air and heard the air going through the water heater. don't know if yours is set up like that one or not.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

praise the Lord, and thanks to all for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Like already said.Get the water out by drill a hole if going to be below freezing for 8hrs. Kano Kroil is best PB blaster is very good .Keep soaking it and tap at it a hundred times or so WITH small hammer ,vibes loosen it up not to mash it in. Heat is not gonna work if full of water. If you heat put socket on plug to tap heat away from it. Try to just heat one spot at top of the bung rather than all around it will distort the round hole more and not expand the plug as much. Impact can really help run it low setting for a while and spray again for vibration to loosen again before really trying to crank on it.
Good luck, use Teflon tape this time its a good release agent.
several sessions of 3 different penatrants, and then the steady bounce of a low pressure and the bung is out. every now has pink stuff, trying to finallize the washer. got the pink stuff in both hot and cold, but I've forgotten the next step. daaaa
Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #12

If you mean for winterizing the washer once pink in hot and cold Spin water out which will place antifreeze in the pump
Also what about the toilet. If you have a unit that uses an accumulator for pressure such as a headhunter you will need to drain it as well.

greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter