Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winterizing questions from a newbie

Ok, I dumped the fresh water and blew out all the lines with 40psi compressed air, took apart the ice maker's fill lines at the solonoid and blew them out, wiht the ice maker shut off arm in the down position. Pulled the plug on the water heater and let it drain, rinsing the side off when it finished and put the plug in the silverware drawer and stuffed a rag in the hole to keep critters out. (probably won't know what the hell that plug is next year, but I'll figure it out when I fill the system.) Drained and left open the grey water tank.

So, that leaves the black water tank and the washer I'm told the washer just needs about 1/2 gallon of rv antifreeze in the drum and run it thru the spin cycle for a few minutes to flush it thru and into the p trap. Remove the fill hoses and she's good to go. Sound right??? Andf what about the black water tank. It's empty and rinsed and has about a gallon of water in it with deod tads. Shall I just dump the other 1/2 gallon of pink in there and call it good? Or should I just move south and be done with it?

Cheers,
TonyMac
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #2

Winterizing questions from a newbie

I will have to remember to blow out the icemaker solenoid.

I would run af/pink through the washing machine. Cold wash, warm wash, and hot wash to be sure all lines and valves are winterized. Maybe a small load size or I am able to see pink run into the little detergent/softener drawer.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Move south. But curious as to why you would leave the gray water tank valve open? I put a little (2 cups) antifreeze in both the black and gray tanks after dumping. Just paranoid.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Don't forget the strainer on the water pump. Check to ensure that all the water is out or it will crack.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the quick replies!!

I intend to pour four gallons of pink into the fresh water tank as I have no pickup line installed, and pump it thru the system with the water heater bypassed. Running outta time, I deploy to the 'desert' on Sunday and we just bought this monster. KILLER deal, so we had to do it, but now we want to protect it. Moving south is out of the question as yet, but retirement is in May15. YEssss.

Found the washer was installed by a moron so I had to remove it and set it on the floor for now. Vent hose was crushed against the false back wall of the compartment and the washer feet had punched a hole in the deck of its compartment due to the thin ply deck. Gotta fix that when I get home from this 'vacation'.

I leave the grey open to ensure no water is against the valve that might freeze, it's hooked to a grey water capable drain that runs into our pasture irrigation. Bad idea??? Can't let the black go there, so do I just pour some pink in there?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I put a couple cups in the black and gray tanks. I have never put it in the fresh tank. I have mine done for me each year. Cheap insurance.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Newmar instructions are to pump into system and at the end of doing faucets, etc. to open the valve to the fresh water tank to prevent the fill line to the water tank from freezing. Of course I screwed up and had it open at the start so a few gallons went into the fresh water tank. Good flush next year.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post

I intend to pour four gallons of pink into the fresh water tank as I have no pickup line installed, and pump it thru the system with the water heater bypassed.

I leave the grey open to ensure no water is against the valve that might freeze, it's hooked to a grey water capable drain that runs into our pasture irrigation. Bad idea??? Can't let the black go there, so do I just pour some pink in there?
I completely empty all freshwater, the grey water tank, and black water tank. Then I do as you intend to with approximately 4 gallons of pink stuff. I let the pink stuff that goes down the toilet and into the grey water tank stay there. I shut off the freshwater pump and open the faucets and shower valves. I leave the black water and grey water valves closed. I bypass the HWH after I drain it and leave the plug out.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:

I intend to pour four gallons of pink into the fresh water tank as I have no pickup line installed, and pump it thru the system with the water heater bypassed. Running outta time, I deploy to the 'desert' on Sunday and we just bought this monster. KILLER deal, so we had to do it, but now we want to protect it. Moving south is out of the question as yet, but retirement is in May15. YEssss.

Found the washer was installed by a moron so I had to remove it and set it on the floor for now. Vent hose was crushed against the false back wall of the compartment and the washer feet had punched a hole in the deck of its compartment due to the thin ply deck. Gotta fix that when I get home from this 'vacation'.

Do not forget the outside shower faucet, do not ask me how I know. . .and yes, it sits there right next to the antifreeze pickup tube. Sigh.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
All done, thanks for the help guys. I thought last nite to turn off the propane at the tank and bleed any moisture outta the brakes and that should be it!?? And next year there will be an anti freeze pickup tube, hopefully it'll remind me to run pink thru the outside faucet. Dang Bruce, that must have hurt. Don't you just hate it -- it happens to me all the time!

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Tony Mac,

You ave done everything great except 2 things. Don't leave grey water tank valve open, instead put about 2 cup of antifreeze in grey tank through the shower. Second thing put at least a cup of antifreeze in all the "p" traps including the shower and put antifreeze in the toilet bowl.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I intend to pour four gallons of pink into the fresh water tank as I have no pickup line installed
Wow, I can naturally be wrong, but I can't picture a Monaco not having a way to bypass the fresh water tank when winterizing. Chances are that you will have either a tube or three-way valve connector with one threaded end left open near the water pump. While you do want to drain the fresh water tank as much as humanly possible, it is a waist to put antifreeze in it.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #13

I thought that too, even my inexpensive TT has a fresh water bypass and 3 feet of tube. I just did a practice run, winterization with water and food coloring, way easier than I thought it would ever be.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I leave the grey open to ensure no water is against the valve that might freeze, it's hooked to a grey water capable drain that runs into our pasture irrigation.
This allows critters to enter the gray tank....not good. Remember, many bugs will not be hindered by a small amount of water (or antifreeze) in a p-trap.

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned. Don't forget to drain the toilet's spray hose and nozzle (if you have one) and the sink spray hose if separate from the faucet.

And.....I would be hesitant to put pink rv antifreeze in the toilet bowl. Might just fine you'll have a pink toilet bowl next spring.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter