Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
+1 If you don't want to do it this way and since you already have the water lines removed, disconnect the power leads and remove the valve completely
I have been removing mine ever since purchasing my coach. Only problem seems to be the foil insulation around it is falling apart after doing this several times.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
HHIDan thanks for pics, now you say the solenoid does not need drained if 12v is present due to heating coil. I keep my rig plugged in when stored and just keep eye on battary water level. I do turn off and empty the fridge so I don't know if that turns heater coil off or not. Does anyone know?
The refrig must be on to have power to everything...just like any appliance.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The refrig must be on to have power to everything...just like any appliance.
That's what I suspected! You would think the RV industry or RVer wold come up with a easier way to winterize a coach with fridge and ice maker. The washing machine too is a pain. I just blow lines out and add pink stuff and start a cycle then turn off.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Completed water system blow out

Finally got to blow out the refrigerator ice maker solenoid today. I was surprised by the amount of trapped water in the valve. I used a 110V jumper after disconnecting the wires from the Solenoid and compressed air to blow it out with the outlet hose off. Worked really well. I will add some pictures if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrig sol2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	76585   Click image for larger version

Name:	refrig sol1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	76586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	refrig sol.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	76587   Click image for larger version

Name:	refrig sol3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	76588  

Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just put winterizing hose in antifreeze and let fridge make pink cubes. Then I shut her down.

I reverse process in spring until I get non-pink ice.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Andylarson, I've been doing ours the same way since we bought ours new. I drain our fresh water supply first, blow out the supply lines, and then run the antifreeze through everything. Takes less than 2 gallons to do everything with the water heater by-pass being used. I always end up with about 1/3 gallon antifreeze left over after pumping it through and filling the drains, I then leave the winterizing hose in the leftover antifreeze with the pump and ice maker turned on and wait for pink cubes to be made. Once I have pink cubes I'm done. Dump the rest of the antifreeze into the toilet and say goodbye to the rv till spring!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterod View Post
Finally got to blow out the refrigerator ice maker solenoid today. I was surprised by the amount of trapped water in the valve. I used a 110V jumper after disconnecting the wires from the Solenoid and compressed air to blow it out with the outlet hose off. Worked really well. I will add some pictures if I can.
It appears to be easy if you have three hands! lol

Just so I have this right, the hand on far right that is holding the wire, is holding a 120 v wire, the other is attached to solenoid and the other end of both are plugged into a 120 v outlet.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #22

Ok on some of the Dometics there are multiple valves only the ice maker valve is 120v I have a short extension cord I cut the end off and installed 2 female spade connectors to. When winterizing I do the entire coach then hook my cord to the ice maker valve and plug it in till I get pink in the lines. The second valve used for water in the door is 12 v so I just use the power and ground wires from the reefer to power it up and do the same. To do a washing machine pour about half a gallon of antifreeze in it then set it to warm wash turn it on and let it fill for a couple min then shut it off. reset if needed and put on rinse and again turn it on this runs the discharge pump which is all that is needed to winterize a washer.you have protected the inlet solenoids and the discharge pump the rest will not be harmed by freezing.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #23

interesting posts. For many years I've been in club that just disconnects the water lines and let it be. I've never had a problem but I sure don't want one either. Hmmm I should be winterizing the next week or so.

chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just did my Dometic ice maker solenoid. 3 screws and its out in my hand and into a bag. Took less time than to blow it out. Of course, it will cost me 60 extra seconds when I go to de-winterize.

Tags
refrigerator, winter