Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Winterizing rig with washer/dryer & ice maker

Hello, we are concerned about how to ensure we have all the water removed from washer/dryer and ice maker. Any suggestions?
sjenkins93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Since we don't know what kind of refrigerator (ice maker) you have and what approach you use to winterize, your question is hard to answer. However, I can tell you what I have always done. I use only compressed air except for the drains. Just connect the air line (about 50 lbs.) and open the hot and cold washer lines by running a short cycle. Now dump about 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze in the washer and run a spin cycle. This pumps most of the antifreeze out and takes care of the P trap in the drain.

The ice maker depends on what refrigerator you have, but the general approach is the same. Connect the air and open the solenoid for the water-in-the door until all the water is purged. Then open the ice maker solenoid to get that line clear.

If you put pink stuff in the water lines the approach is different, and I'll let someone else tell you how to avoid nasty pink stuff in the ice maker because I don't know how.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #3

Here is a link to the Splendide winterizing instructions. I used procedure B shown in the link.

Splendide Winterization
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My MH is stored in a garage with very very reliable power. I put two utility lights (trouble lights) in the W/D tub, behind the refer (next to the ice maker), next to the water pump and any where else water might sit and freeze. I use two in case a bulb burns out. Pink RV antifreeze goes in the toilet and P traps. If really cold, I check on it every day or so...doesn't stay cold that long.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

To use the 'pink stuff', you need to run both a hot and a cold short cycle through the washer with your pump on and using the winterize port to suck up the antifreeze. You must do both as that's the only way you'll get it through the mix valve (trust me, I found out the hard way!) Then dump some in the washer drum and spin it out. Just doing the spin thing won't get the antifreeze in the mix valve, so do the cycles AND the spin thing.

On the fridge, I screwed that up, too. Get a filter bypass plug for your model, as without it you can't do the compressed air or the antifreeze route dependably. Then do as directed above for air, or run pink stuff through until all water is purged from the bladder in the fridge. The tough part is the ice maker. It has to dump pink cubes once or you don't have antifreeze through the most delicate and expensive parts.

All in all, it is a PITA. I'm hoping to find storage soon where I can run 30AMP and keep heaters running if necessary.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

Winterize a Whirlpool Frig.

According to Whirlpool the best way to winterize the frig is to access the water shut off valve from the outside. They recommend turning the valve off and disconnecting the supply hose and running anti-freeze through the hose and then reconnect the hose. With the valve still turned off, run the refrigerator water holding tank dry using a glass in the door. They say if you run anti-freeze through the ice maker you will never get the anti-freeze taste out.

The frig shut off valve is located behind the frig and is accessed from outside through a small service door. Not a lot off room to work.

Iggy Konrad
2014 Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Oliver-Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter