Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Winterizing Solar Battery System

I live in Frigid Central Canada ( Manitoba ) and am parking it indoors for the winter. I have 6 - 6v Batteries with Outback system. I have a store switch in the coach and hope to have 15 amp plug in storage. Should I put it to STORE and leave Outback on while plugged in for the winter. never done this before and have no place to store the batteries + 4 are very hard to get out underneath.. prefer to leave in... any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry McNich View Post
I live in Frigid Central Canada ( Manitoba ) and am parking it indoors for the winter. I have 6 - 6v Batteries with Outback system. I have a store switch in the coach and hope to have 15 amp plug in storage. Should I put it to STORE and leave Outback on while plugged in for the winter. never done this before and have no place to store the batteries + 4 are very hard to get out underneath.. prefer to leave in... any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks Jerry

Solar does no good indoors. I would charge batteries fully, then disconnect negative cable from battery bank to prevent ALL drain. Batteries self discharge slower the colder it gets.... they will be fine if disconnected.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Make sure batteries are fully charged before disconnecting them. If they are fully charged they
Will not freeze down to -92F

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7958.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	219536
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

As above,but if you get a 15 amp power source in storage, I would leave the batteries hooked up and charger on. They would not freeze and would remain charged. It won't matter what you do with the solar circuit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

I would make sure they are fully charged , them disconnect them. They will only discharge 5% per month. I live in Northern Ontario and that is all I do with mine. They remain in the coach outside all winter and are 10 yrs old. With any type of charger , it could fail and result in overcharging or total discharging of the bank. Disconnecting eliminates any chance of charging failure.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Contact the manufacturer - don't rely on amateurs that tell your "I did such-n-such and it worked for me."
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Personally, I would disconnect the batteries and remove them from the coach. Store in a heated area. If batteries are even slightly discharged, they will freeze - especially in your climate. Frozen batteries are no longer usable.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Yah, I here you Roger.. I am going to take them out and store them.. there brand new this year and why take a chance..

Thank you Jerry
Old 09-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

We leave a car in our unheated garage for six months through the winter with nothing but a smart trickle charger plugged in. When we get back in May, the battery is fully charged and ready to go. Been doing this for several years without a problem. It would be no different with a motorhome if plugged in for the charger to do it's thing.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #10

Left my MH with 6 - 6v batteries and the chassis battery stored over the winter, outside, in Anchorage for 4 winters, used it in the spring, summer every year. Always fully charged all batteries and left the batteries ground disconnected. Less than 1.5 voltage drop on any battery when I returned in the spring.
No reason to leave connected to charger or trying to store them warm.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

Really... great to here, thank you. I have received so many different opinions on this that I just took all 6 out Sunday and am storing them warm. But, thank you for your answer and next year I will do as you said. Do you remove all negative post connections or just the 1 post to break the connection. How cold does it get up there, here in Winnipeg it probably averages -20c but have some spells of -30c.

Again thank you for your post... I will do it this way next fall for sure, a real pain taking out of them and storage is a hastle.

Tags
battery, solar, winter