Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #29

2 questions that I have yet to see in all my searches are.
1 when draining the hwh it seems that the bipass should not be switched until all water has been drained. If switching bipass first then draining the hwt wouldn't that trap water at the bipass?

2 for those who dont like the antifreeze smell from the pink stuff sitting in the lines all winter, would it not help to blow out all the lines immediately after putting the pink stuff in? First blow all the lines out then put pink stuff in then blow the lines out a second time..?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may switch the bypass prior to draining, I do not know why they would suggest otherwise in fact (I sure would not). Just open the manual lever on the TPR valve to let air in so water can come out (else it's gonna take a long, long, time)

Old 01-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I have this connector but it leaks like crazy! It seems the quick-connect fitting on here is not compatible with the quick-connect on my hoses. Are there different standards or something? My hoses don't leak with any of my other standard tools. The fitting on this item appears to be longer and slightly thinner. I end up having to fill my compressor several times to blow out my lines.

There are multiple sizes of the air quick fitting. You could figure out which your adapter is and buy a female to match it and connect that to the male that matches you air chuck.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Using a small portable air compressor may work, but will take a fair amount of time because the tank is so small. I try to keep the pressure above 40 psi to do an effective job, and even with a 20 gallong tank, this takes a pause or two to let the tank fill up again.

Only the "belt and suspenders" folks use pink stuff after effectively getting all the water out. You don't need to bypass the water at all if you're using air; just let the water out before you start. It is important to repeat opening each valve to make sure you have all the water. Don't forget the outside shower and the low side drains for both hot and cold. And there is also the toilet (including wash down) as well as the clothes washer and the ice maker (including water in the door) if you have that.

After that, pink stuff in all traps (including the washer) and you're good to go. Of course you drain all water from the fresh water tank before you start.

It is easy to build the adapter you need using parts from the local hardware store. I made mine universal because I also uses it for the sprinkler system at home.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #33

It's not so much belt and suspenders as it is time. To really blow out all the water takes more than a quick flick of the faucet. I have to blow out the lines for 10 to 20 minutes then still suck in some antifreeze for the pump then add some to the traps and I am still taking a chance on the HW bypass valves unless I want to add more blowout time. Blowing out the bulk of the water only takes a couple of minutes then putting in pink takes a couple of more and it's done. The traps get their dose while making sure the faucets are full. I just flip the bypass valves to get some in the line. I'm done while I'd still be blowing air to do the job right on air alone.

FWIW from my point of view the issue is mostly mental. I really question if most people can taste the antifreeze after a rinse and the first tank of water. Maybe some supertasters can but I can't so I don't worry about it. The material is the same stuff as the manufacturers dump in salt so it won't cake and other food so it will remain moist or give a better mouth feel etc. Worrying about it is like only drinking bottled water. You duck the chlorine or flouride only to be dosed with BPA.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
When I winterized I had air compressor hooked up and the water tank drain open. After the tank had drained, I flipped the bypass valve and allowed air to blow for about 5 minutes on each setting. You're trying to get water out of the lines, to leave the valve on one setting or the other could allow water to be in the line up to the valve.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You may switch the bypass prior to draining, I do not know why they would suggest otherwise in fact (I sure would not). Just open the manual lever on the TPR valve to let air in so water can come out (else it's gonna take a long, long, time)
Because water will be pressurised at the bipass and could freeze. I did it today and it was no slower then usual. Why would you think it would drain slower when not bipassed?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW from my point of view the issue is mostly mental. I really question if most people can taste the antifreeze after a rinse and the first tank of water. Maybe some supertasters can but I can't so I don't worry about it. The material is the same stuff as the manufacturers dump in salt so it won't cake and other food so it will remain moist or give a better mouth feel etc. Worrying about it is like only drinking bottled water. You duck the chlorine or flouride only to be dosed with BPA.
X2

IMO it is a matter of risk. What is the cost if you have to replace lines in your rig? How difficult is it? I could do it but have decided that it is easier to pink than to refit. May be like using a framing hammer for a tack but it makes me comfortable.

A lot depends upon where you are winterizing for. If you are winterizing for 20 it may not be as critical as winterizing for -40.

This may be '"belt and suspenders" but I dont worry about getting caught with my pants around my ankles.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in a pretty cool climate and I do both. We always get a few nights over the course of the winter where we see -15. But honestly even that 8 degree temp in Florida deserves going both routes. The anti-freeze really isn't that expensive when you consider the price of replacing lines. I replaced a couple of lines in my sons TT and while it was a doable project, it wasn't one I enjoyed. I'd much rather spend less than an hour to blow out the lines and then consume less than 2 gallons of anti-freeze for peace of mind. +8 is more than enough to burst a line.

LSC9901 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter