Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Winterizing with compressed air.

I recently purchased a portable air compressor and want to use compressed air instead of the pink anti-freeze for winterizing. The air compressor I have has an adjustable pressure regulator and is listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where do you connect the pressure to the motor home? I would assume it is at the fresh water hose connect inlet. What type hardware do you use to connect it to the fresh water inlet? What pressure do you use for blowing the water out of the lines? I have looked using the search feature on this forum but could not find the answers I was looking for. Thanks for your assistance.

jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Yes you connect it to the fresh water inlet. Most RV supply stores would have some type of connector for it. Walmart may have one also. I made my own before I knew you could buy them. I have a quick connect hose connection on one end, and a quick connect air connection one the other end connected with a small length of hose. I run around 35 psi, you could go more or less, but 35 seems to work.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

You are correct in that one uses the fresh water input. You will need to buy or make an adapter that fits and accepts the end of your air hose. You still need to drain the water tank and you still may have to winterize your pump. You also need to bypass and drain your HW tank.

Here is a picture of the plug CW sells:

Blow-out Plug - Camco 36104 - Winterizing - Camping World

I used it once or twice with a clip on type air chuck. This year I got fed up and drilled and tapped it for an air hose fitting. Considering it is a low pressure high volume application threads in plastic should not be an issue.

FWIW I blow out my lines then use the pink stuff. Either way you need to make sure all valves are clear of water. Trapped water can freeze and crack the valve body. That means working each valve while air or anti freeze runs through it.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Keep pressure at about 40 psi or less, you don't want to damage anything. It should be good to 65 psi, but why push it? Also, don't forget some RV antifreeze for the sink and shower traps. By keeping liquid in the traps you won't have black tank odors backing in to the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I recently purchased a portable air compressor and want to use compressed air instead of the pink anti-freeze for winterizing. The air compressor I have has an adjustable pressure regulator and is listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where do you connect the pressure to the motor home? I would assume it is at the fresh water hose connect inlet. What type hardware do you use to connect it to the fresh water inlet? What pressure do you use for blowing the water out of the lines? I have looked using the search feature on this forum but could not find the answers I was looking for. Thanks for your assistance.
jlabit
I use one of these in the water inlet:

If you regulate the "air pressure" to the same pressure as the "pressure of the water you use" you will cause no harm.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Drain the water heater - let it drain thoroughly. Then replace the plug, since you will want to blow out the hot water lines also.

Then make sure you have a faucet open in the MH before you connect the compressor. If you don't do so, it is possible you may become distracted with expensive results. The pressure in the water lines can build up quickly.

Open each faucet separately (including hot water) until the gurgling stops. Then go back through and repeat the process with each faucet.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Turn the hot water bypass on and take out the plug on the hot water heater.

I use compressed air at 45 lbs.

I hook the compressor up to the fresh water inlet and turn the compressor on. Then I go around to each tap in the system and open it until the majority of the water is out. I do several circuits opening one tap at a time. The final round should be when no water or spray comes out of the tap.

Dont forget the toilet and low point valves.

After I am competely blow out I hook up the pump inlet to the diverter and suck the system full of pink. It is the easiest way I am certain to protect the pump and any low spots that may serve to have water collect in them. I thoroughly flush the system out when dewinterizing so have not had an issue with pink taste.

After that I add antifreeze to all of the traps.

Have not winterized the coach yet which will be a different proceedure as the aqua hot and ice cube lines are issues. Aqua hot recommends pink as they say the air method may not get all the water out.

The air method should work if sufficient pressure and volume can be delivered to force all of the water out. I use a small compressor so pink is in.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You are correct in that one uses the fresh water input. You will need to buy or make an adapter that fits and accepts the end of your air hose. You still need to drain the water tank and you still may have to winterize your pump. You also need to bypass and drain your HW tank.

Here is a picture of the plug CW sells:

Blow-out Plug - Camco 36104 - Winterizing - Camping World

I used it once or twice with a clip on type air chuck. This year I got fed up and drilled and tapped it for an air hose fitting. Considering it is a low pressure high volume application threads in plastic should not be an issue.

FWIW I blow out my lines then use the pink stuff. Either way you need to make sure all valves are clear of water. Trapped water can freeze and crack the valve body. That means working each valve while air or anti freeze runs through it.
CW also sells a connector for the quick connect on the compressor side.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a link to a good you tube video of winterizing water lines with air.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. We did it using the info provided here. It got down to 16 degrees here in the Sunshine State of Florida last night. You folks are wonderful. Thanks for your assistance.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Did you remember to bring your brass monkey inside? I left mine out last night, and oh, the humanity!!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are blowing out all the lines, there is no need for the pink stuff except for your traps and possibly your pump. I set my compressor regulator to 40psi so there is no way to over pressurize the system. This has worked fine for several years.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Amazon.com: Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect: Automotive
Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #14

I have this connector but it leaks like crazy! It seems the quick-connect fitting on here is not compatible with the quick-connect on my hoses. Are there different standards or something? My hoses don't leak with any of my other standard tools. The fitting on this item appears to be longer and slightly thinner. I end up having to fill my compressor several times to blow out my lines.

MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter