Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Wiper blades different than any auto blade?

Our wiper blades are looking a little ragged so I pulled down the arm and looked at them. 24" and appear to be just old fashion Anco or Trico arms and blades like I have been replacing since I was a kid except bolted on.

Am I missing something? I think I could go to any parts store, Walmart or order online and just bolt them on. $20 a pair for RainX at Amazon.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #2

A lot of folks do exactly what you are proposing.
If they fit the wiper arm they'll work.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
A lot of folks do exactly what you are proposing.
If they fit the wiper arm they'll work.
Thanks. That is what I figured. If the blade touches the windshield and goes back and forth, what could go wrong?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

I did this. I had to drill out the posts on the replacement blades. Simple. A minute of additional work saved me $50.

Matt B
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just replaced my driver's side wiper blade (wanted to see if it worked first before replacing both). Here's what I found:

The blades themselves are essentially the same as auto blades, except that auto blades *might* be mounted on a super-springy frame that allows it to conform to many auto's curvaceous windshields. That sounds great except that they can be so spring that they can lift the middle of the blade off our usually relatively flat RV windshields. Not all, just some.

Second, as mentioned already, it's the mounting systems that can be problematic. Many modern auto wiper mounting brackets are, in my opinion, waaay over-engineered. As such, they don't all fit RV wiper arms, even with modification. I didn't have to drill mine like oldmattb did, but I did have to remove a lot of plastic "clips" on the wiper so that I could slip it on my mounting arm. Took longer to find one that I could modify than it did to do the actual modifications.

Last, you mentioned yours are 24", which is pretty common in stores, but many RV's come with much longer blades that aren't so common. Mine are 32", but the longest I could find in Walmart, O'Reilly's and Autozone that I could modify to fit were 28", which works fine, but still... longer is better, am I right fellas?

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Just a thought. When we had an 2011 Fleetwood with 26" blades.There was enough spacing that I went with 32". Made a significant difference in the view behind the wheel. You may have an overlap problem doing this I didn't.

Problem I did have was the brand I bought required right angle adapter brackets which had to be bolted [small] to the arms to accommodate the blades or would have needed Fleetwood brand blades. Only discussing Fleetwood issue as many read the posts and may help someone. The adapters are Trico PN# B98999-146.

The rest of this post was to assure many can utilize longer blades for improved vision.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just replace the rubber part of the blades by buying the cut to fit rubber from our local Advanced AP store.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
I did this. I had to drill out the posts on the replacement blades. Simple. A minute of additional work saved me $50.

Matt B
Dido
Old 01-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

We bit the bullet and spent a few bucks extra at Camping World BUT also bought RAIN X from Autozone-Clean windshield with Windex-apply Rain X New wiper blades hardly need to be used because water is beading off windshield- Can't believe how much better it is and hardly ever use wiper other than slow speed-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motor home Windshield wiper blades come in 3 types.

One: Standard automotive like your 24" jobs.. Now there will be a comment at the bottom

Two: Rare but still standard Auto.. I think 28 or 30 inch not sure without using a tape measure.. Not all stores stock them.

Three Much longer very expensive TRUCK blades.

NOT the only difference is the length.. The only difference.

The comments:

You can get many types of automotive blades. Single edge, triple edge, and other special features... Some may or may not come in the length you need.. But the Factory blades on the MH will be the most common single type.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

Mine (see my signature) has different arms than an auto. My blades use a small bolt to fasten blades to arm. I buy regular blades, remove the plastic clip-on part, then bolt the blades onto my arms with the existing bolt.

FYI, I buy replacement 29" blades at Menards. Now WalMart carries them too. OEM size was 24", which I didn't like.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We just replace the rubber part of the blades by buying the cut to fit rubber from our local Advanced AP store.

Lori-
I always used to buy the "refills" for wipers but they have become hard to find. There is an Advance store right down the street. Too late, ordered 24" blades from Amazon.

It does look like the ones on the MH were made so it is difficult to just replace the blade like that but the new ones should be standard. Hope they fit or I can make them fit.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

Ray,IN - X2 That's what we did as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #14

wiper blade held on with two screws. a fix is to go online and order Anco part # 48-17, this will allow you to use off the shelf hook wiper blades that can be bought at any auto parts store.