Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Wiper fail at highway speed.

Does anyone else have any issues with their wipers at highway speed?

I was traveling around 70mph in the rain. My driver side wiper started flexing like limp spaghetti every wipe. It eventually snapped off and i had a few more miles to my nearest exit. Luckily there lie a NAPA auto parts. Longest blade was 28”. I installed it and set sail again.

The performance of the 28” wiper was far superior to the factory 32”. It remained rigid in the same wind and mph.

So i guess my question is, is there a 32” replacement wiper that will maintain its form at highway speed?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
My driver side wiper started flexing like limp spaghetti every wipe.
R U sure the wiper blade metal clip didn't come out of the fastener at the end of the mounting bracket arm? I've noticed on ours wiper blades—sometimes—at the end of the wiper that little "V" metal clip that snaps and holds the wiper blade into bracket arm slips out allowing the tip of the wiper blade to not be securely fastened in. I always check that every time now when we break camp and get ready to get underway.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
At highway speed my original wipers would lift off the windshield. I installed a shorter wiper and it solved the problem and did a better job wiping the windshield.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 36" blades are vented which keeps them on the windshield. Unvented ones would lift up.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

I had one arm snap as it shuddered accross a dry dirty windshield before the washer fluid got to the windshield.
I now have a slightly shorter blade to reduce friction.
I now give the windshield a good RainEx application before setting out on a trip and hardly ever have to use wipers.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:

I was traveling around 70mph in the rain.

ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
This caught my attention as well...
Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #8

70 in the rain sounds like fun times. It's all an adventure.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

As mentioned previously a vented one will help and there are some that have an airfoil on them to provide down force to help keep them from lifting. I have also seen the air foils as an add on like it snaps on to you wiper blade. A shorter one will also help as mentioned but then you are getting less window wiped so depending on your windshield and your sight lines shorter may or may not work well for good visibility.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Use windshield wiper huggies (tensioner) they work great. Like a big spring to keep wipers against windshield. Available on Ebay or Amazon, about 13.00 for a pair
kykingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

I almost never use my wipers. 2 coats of Rainx and I'm good for the year. I use it on the side windows also. Keeps them cristal clear.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Does anyone else have any issues with their wipers at highway speed?

I was traveling around 70mph in the rain. My driver side wiper started flexing like limp spaghetti every wipe. It eventually snapped off and i had a few more miles to my nearest exit. Luckily there lie a NAPA auto parts. Longest blade was 28”. I installed it and set sail again.

The performance of the 28” wiper was far superior to the factory 32”. It remained rigid in the same wind and mph.

So i guess my question is, is there a 32” replacement wiper that will maintain its form at highway speed?
My originals wipers were 40 inch however I use the Rain X 32 single beam which works very well and available almost everywhere
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I almost never use my wipers. 2 coats of Rainx and I'm good for the year. I use it on the side windows also. Keeps them cristal clear.
Rain X is worth using, do the same and use Rain X wipers
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
I had one arm snap as it shuddered accross a dry dirty windshield before the washer fluid got to the windshield.
I now have a slightly shorter blade to reduce friction.
I now give the windshield a good RainEx application before setting out on a trip and hardly ever have to use wipers.
Very common problem on all vehicles. The fix is to torque / bend the blade arm so the rubber wiper is at a more oblique angle to the windshield in both the Up and Down direction. On a Car / Truck, shut the ignition off when the wiper is in the Up position so it's easy to grab.
Takes less than 5 minutes to a quiet ride.

I remember coming close, as a factory rep, to a lemon law buy back a brand new vehicle as the dealership didn't know this trick...5 minutes and the customer was happy again.