Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wipers wipe but not the glass

Anyone know of a better wiper system, I was coming home from a trip and ran into my first rain turned on the wipers and they work fine they just don't hit the glass and leave the water there I thought that being a new motor home that maybe the wipers were bad so I bought a new set at camping world only to find out they don't fit. Called tru vision and was told to contact wiper technologists they had the blades in stock and sent them right out put those on only to find out the same problem is there so.... I called them back and ordered two smaller sizes from a 32 inch to a 30 and 28 as I read they worked better but that didn't work either. I have the contoured or boomerang type. I called Fleetwood and they told me they are having problems but a new wiper arm would fix it and gave me the part number and connected me to the parts department only to be told that was the same arm that I had. Anybody had this problem and be able to fit it I would love to here from them thanks in advance Greg
GREG M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG M View Post
Anyone know of a better wiper system, I was coming home from a trip and ran into my first rain turned on the wipers and they work fine they just don't hit the glass and leave the water there I thought that being a new motor home that maybe the wipers were bad so I bought a new set at camping world only to find out they don't fit. Called tru vision and was told to contact wiper technologists they had the blades in stock and sent them right out put those on only to find out the same problem is there so.... I called them back and ordered two smaller sizes from a 32 inch to a 30 and 28 as I read they worked better but that didn't work either. I have the contoured or boomerang type. I called Fleetwood and they told me they are having problems but a new wiper arm would fix it and gave me the part number and connected me to the parts department only to be told that was the same arm that I had. Anybody had this problem and be able to fit it I would love to here from them thanks in advance Greg
A theory

Take a look where the wiper arm is attached to the wiper drive shaft. There is usually a small sheet metal sliding lock that is a backup device to hold the arm in place. If it isn't pushed towards the shaft, it will not allow enough pressure to be generated by the arm to hold the wiper hard against the windshield. I have had several Ford pickups with that arrangement and when new, they are fairly easy to move - like with a wash mitt. Also - these locks might have been left that way to prevent degradation of the wiper rubber while the unit sat in a dealer's yard. Then, of course, the factory installer(low man on the assembly line??) may have never been instructed to lock them.

Dave W
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

I had a U-Haul box van with that problem - not good on a rainy day in Seattle. I just bent the actuating arm until the blades did hit the screen with a bit of pressure. It was a bit of an old beater F350 diesel on a one-way rental, so I figured it was an acceptable fix.

When I turned the truck in at the Redmond U-Haul place, the desk guy said, "Where did you find that old thing? I haven't seen one in the last 5 years."
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the help but so far it's not what wrong. the blade of 32 inches hits the glass on the 2 or 3 inches on the top and bottom of the blade but nothing in the middle. RIGHT where my line of sight is. I might try the bending after I get home just in case it breaks. Of course it rainy season thanks again greg
GREG M is offline   Reply With Quote