Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wire loving rodent

Got to my campsite after storing my rig for 3 months on asphalt near the Sarasota airport. Ordered up my usual internet service from Spectrum and they said I was getting a poor signal so they would need to send out tech. FYI I ripped out all of the old RG59 coax along with the coax switch five years ago and ran RG 6 from the rear electric bay, uninterrupted, to the cabinet over the passenger seat. Well, this is what we found:

Old and new coax chewed down to the central solid conductor, a vacuum hose severed, the firewall grommet nearly gone and I am hoping everything else chewed and exposed is audio wiring, I will find out tomorrow when I dig out the wiring diagram. (The RG6 wire was cut before I took the pic, it is at the top). Right now I have a temp cable running from the pedestal to the cabinet running through the driver door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chewed coax.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	236865  
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #2

Yup, they can do a lot of damage. Squirrel?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

If your deductible is less than the fix it cost, have them pay the difference. No tag on your insurance as it's nature. Good luck.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Yup, they can do a lot of damage. Squirrel?
Could be, it was near a tree.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzerbiz View Post
If your deductible is less than the fix it cost, have them pay the difference. No tag on your insurance as it's nature. Good luck.
It will be a DIY project, thanks for the info though.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #6

Nasty!! Feel for you man. My coach lives beside my house on a pad in Sarasota. One time I found one bay storage area with a bunch of acorns I also found rat droppings in the bays and sometimes the coach. I have started a heavy peppermint oil on cotton balls in punctured baggies strategy - seems to work plus I have some rat traps set in strategic spots - caught one a month ago but none since (no acorns anymore either). Not sure where they are getting in ....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Nasty!! Feel for you man. My coach lives beside my house on a pad in Sarasota. One time I found one bay storage area with a bunch of acorns I also found rat droppings in the bays and sometimes the coach. I have started a heavy peppermint oil on cotton balls in punctured baggies strategy - seems to work plus I have some rat traps set in strategic spots - caught one a month ago but none since (no acorns anymore either). Not sure where they are getting in ....
Rats and acorns????? Acorns is squirrels in my book.... then again... it's Florida
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #8

Rats in AZ. I use rid-a-rat. No problem. I did catch 20 in a snap trap.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Three wires completely severed, one vacuum line with a piece taken out, and three more wires with insulation stripped off. Last fall I purchased a box full of Wirefy heat shrink butt connectors with the matching ratcheting crimper, came in very handy today. Bought a roll of Scotch Super 88 to rewrap the wires and a roll of Gorilla tape to replace the grommet. After squeezing the Gorilla tape wrapped cable bundle through the hole, I ripped several pieces to half width and added several layers inside and out to secure it in place.

Wires were primarily related to the air conditioner. A few abandoned coax that were damaged were simply removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall grommet.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	237052  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #10

So.... because there was water coming into my basement when driving in the rain I went looking for the leak. Found holes big enough to send a herd of rodents through....

https://dragonship.blog/basement-leak/
Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

A question to general population here:
What is it about coax, wiring, wire harnesses and the like that attracts rodents and squirrels in the first place? Why chew on these items and not something else or somewhere else? Like rubber gas lines, tires, slide seals, water drain lines, hydraulic hoses...get my drift?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
What is it about coax, wiring, wire harnesses and the like that attracts rodents and squirrels in the first place? Why chew on these items and not something else or somewhere else? Like rubber gas lines, tires, slide seals, water drain lines, hydraulic hoses...get my drift?
And how do they know to go right to the place where it enters the coach, that big ol' grommet?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I was told that the insulation is made from a soybean based material. Therefore, some of the soy scent/flavor/aroma remains? I've had several rounds of damage with squirrels. Remember the movie Caddy Shack? That's me.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
I was told that the insulation is made from a soybean based material.
New cars. Last few years. Law suit against Toyota just for this.