Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #15

We travel from Alaska to the 'lower 48' about every two years and (knock on wood) we have not had any major issues. For us it is about slowing down when the roads get bad and paying attention to what is going on around you. Our biggest issue on a few trips has been the weather, either snow storms, lot of rain or forest fires. One thing to keep in mind is to keep well stocked on supplies, water, fuel and what ever you need, in the case that the road gets shut down. It could be for a few hours to a few days.
The trip is worth all of the problems and can be enjoyed. Be safe!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
With your side radiator it will not be necessary.
Not true, there are cases where a rock has gotten into the fan and either broken a blade or ruined the radiator/CAC/cooler. Spartan even lists them in their parts catalog. I got one when I was there in 2004 for our rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Cruise Ship is another great option. No mud and great food.
Done that twice, much nicer but you really don't see the country!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #18

You'll never be able to experience Alaska from a ship. Did the cruise thing and wasn't impressed. Then in 2007 we motorcycled it, and that really wetted our appetite. In 2012 took the motorhome up for the entire summer with no road problems, except for the usual frost heaves. And now we plan on going back in 2015. It's an amazing place, but only if you get away from civilization to be able to see bear,caribou,moose, and other animals in their natural habitat. Not to mention the most outstanding fishing I've ever done. It should definately be on everyone's bucket list.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
The major issue we encountered when traveling on the Alaskan Highway in 2012 was the road washed out and left us stranded in Watson Lake, Yukon for 5 days. In the small town of approx. 1200 people there was a build up of 500 plus trucks and RVs. I always fill the diesel tank before stopping for the night and you should be prepared to be self sufficient for several days in case of vehicle or other problems. Carry an unmounted tire of your size so that it can be changed on the road if needed. You may not be able to quickly find your size.

You will find the roads comparable to the lower 48 with the exception of the frost heaves marked with orange flags or cones. SLOW DOWN when you see the flags. We found the most frost heaves from Destruction Bay, Yukon to the Alaskan boarder.

safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
We drove up about six years ago and a Monaco pusher traveling with us had a rock come up and make a hole in the radiator. The hole was about a quarter inch in size and was at the top of the radiator engine side. I'd suspect a small rock came up and the fan launched the rock with sufficient force to penetrate the radiator. A rare one I'm sure but a grate under the engine may have prevented that damage (maybe?)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We too are planning an Alaskan trip this summer, and have been told by many at a recent rally that we need the radiator screen. We have a side mounted radiator on our 2014 Dutch Star. For those that agree, on this thread, please explain the process of installing, such as how to attach. Or better still, anyone with pictures of installation of the hardware screen would be great! Thanks!
Jbgrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #22

For folks worried about paint chips, take a look at "Transport Wrap".
It's the white film you see on new cars being delivered to your local auto dealerships.
I bought a roll to protect a classic car while being trailered to Florida. 2' X 100' for about $79 I think.

Simple to put on, simple to take off.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess I am missing something. Sure I like my RV to look nice, but I am not going to eliminate a trip because my coach may get nicked up. Hey, I bought it to travel and go places and see things.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrvman View Post
Yes,put the screen on even if you have side radiator.
it will keep the small rocks out of your belts and holes in your radiator.
I have a campground in Alaska and see many problems with this.

It seems hard to get the right parts when you need one.
put the screen on with zip ties and have a great trip.
X2 on that. It doesn't take a very big rock to get between a belt and pulley to cause major carnage to the belt.
Not a bad idea at all.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #25

Our experience traveling to the great north is prepare as you would traveling in the lower 48. Except for frost heaves, which by the way are pretty well marked, some of the worst roads we've been on was traveling through the midwest, PA., and CA. We're already gearing up mentally to going back for all of summer 2015. Another thing to consider is when we went up in 2012 we arrived on the Kenai around the 1st week of June. They hadn't started any kind of road work on the Alaska hwy. then, so the trip was pretty uneventful. Except for incredible scenery, especially the Wrangell Mtns. and Mt. Sanford after you leave Tok heading toward Palmer. WOW!!! Some of the lakes were still half frozen but the temps. weren't all that cold. I will say when we left Destruction Bay, Yukon it was snowing but not hard and it didn't last. It just added to the beauty. Man, I could go on & on about it. But words will never describe what you'll see in person. Here's a little suggestion....keep the camera on the dashboard. We took so many pics right out of the windshield when wildlife would be either in the road or along side of it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #26

The best advice is to SLOW DOWN when you drive over these gravel patches, which are usually more prevalent between Kluane Lake and the Alaska border. Plan ahead to need a few extra hours to drive this stretch, and drive slow enough to limit the jolts and jarring from the frost-heaves, pot-holes, and gravel stretches.

Your biggest challenge is not from rocks damaging your radiator, but rocks hitting your windshield due to oncoming traffic. There's always going to be some idiot who thinks it is OK to speed along these patches at 60 mph or more, and who doesn't seem to care that he's throwing up rocks at everyone he passes.

Unfortunately, there is no way to protect your windshield except to slow down and pull over as far as you dare to the right whenever you see one of these morons coming.
Guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #27

Everyone has their opinion. I have my own experience on my trip to Alaska. Recieved a stone to the windshield and a nice chip in the glass on the interstate heading toward Canada. Bounced across unmarked frost heaves. Drove across the one lane gravel road due to the washout. Drove on plenty of paved road with gravel repair sections that caused stones to mar the front of my toad and crack the fog light lens. Yes I drove slow over the gravel but it anyway. Take all precautions to protect what you value and be ready to repair the damage that you will receive. Just try to keep it to a minium. Safe travels and enjoy the scenery.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Alaska is a gravel road?

Homeless:

Are you the guy whose Arctic Fox used to be featured on the Northwood Manufacturing website?

ed
mre is offline   Reply With Quote