Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Wireless backup camera's anyone installed one?

been looking on ebay and they have some that are corded and some that are wireless. wireless meaning there is no cord between the camera and screen. they are color and have night vision. wondering if anyone has installed and used one. do they give good clear video, any interference problems? would rather not run a cable if I don't have to.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #2

I bought a wireless unit for my Class B and found out it had to hook-up at the transmission for reverse, so by the time it was all said and done it saved me from running about 6'-8' of more wire. I guess what I'm saying is it wasn't worth the added cost for my application.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Weird, my unit hooked to the reverse switch under the dash and that in turn powered the camera. To save wiring underneath the RV I wired mine to the back up lights and every time I went into reverse the camera came on. The monitor just was powered up from the ignition so when the vehicle was running thye monitor was waiting for the camera to send it signals. The camera and monitor worked as well as could be expected with a bit of minor noise causing flicker.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #4

Depending on the model they are really not designed for Motorhomes because of the length. The one I used was very touchy on my crew cab truck because of the distance, going 30+ feet I am geussing it would be out of range
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
rtr

Winnebago Owners Club
I have one fro NAVTOGo and it worked well on my 32 foot and have moved to my 35 ft works well there too color monitor
rtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wireless are limited to distance so yes, 30' from camera to monitor might be too far. They do make signal boosters but then that is another item to install and wire up. EDIT: the guy above didn't have issues with distance but I have read of others who did. Depends on brand and install I guess.

I bought an inexpensive Pyle brand that was wired. Bought a 50' cord, ran it down and along the chassis rails and back up into the dash and put an on/off switch on the dash so I can run it anytime. It was a bit of work running everything but I love having it!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best to do it right the first time and use hard wiring. I prefer the adjustable Pan and Tilt Rear Camera with color 7' monitor. It is made by Total Vision for RVs. With the push of a button the camera will pan left and right 180 degrees and also up and down. Total Vision Products: The new standard in mobile vision products The system allows adding a total of 6 cameras. I have had my Total Vision camera system for over 7 years with no problems. It is a camera system you can install yourself. Run all wires under the coach and thru the front firewall to the dash and fuse panel.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I read somewhere about an RVer who hooked up a four camera security system be bought from Costco and when he plugged it into his laptop (on doghouse) he had a left, right toad and behind toad view of his proximity about the motorhome. I will await them going on sale at our local Costco and buy one then. His computer screen was split four ways, the toad and behind toad cameras were located where his old B & W camera went and the bottom left and right split screen were his side views.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Best to do it right the first time and use hard wiring. I prefer the adjustable Pan and Tilt Rear Camera with color 7' monitor. It is made by Total Vision for RVs. With the push of a button the camera will pan left and right 180 degrees and also up and down. Total Vision Products: The new standard in mobile vision products The system allows adding a total of 6 cameras. I have had my Total Vision camera system for over 7 years with no problems. It is a camera system you can install yourself. Run all wires under the coach and thru the front firewall to the dash and fuse panel.
Do you have this product?
DDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

I have a wired Review Safety unit that works very well. I tried a wireless but reception was poor. Since then I would consider a POV camera that uses wifi to your cell phone or tablet. POV cameras tend to have super wide angle lenses and the reception should be good for inside your coach.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

I use a wireless Uniden two cam system in my mh to keep an eye on the dogs in the garage. Works great. I am a little over 45 feet from front to back have have had not problems with color or sound. 7 inch monitor but you would have to run 12 volt to cam.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #12

I'm towing a 30 foot TT, but I installed one of the Voyager WVOS511 wireless cameras. This one pairs the monitor with the camera to exclude interference and it worked very well on the inaugural trip. I wired the camera power to a clearance light as per the instructions. I have to run with the running lights on for the camera to have power, but it was just like having a rear view mirror looking out behind the trailer during the trip. The only hard part was drilling the hole in the siding, which was not difficult as much as it was nerve wracking.

I wish the top to bottom field of view was slightly wider. I can just see my rear bumper, but only about a car length or two back behind me. Would like to be able to see further back. I would highly recommend this unit.

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #13

My system went on the blink last December. I purchased an inexpensive wireless system and installed it on a snowless day. I mounted the transmitter inside the coach, and the receiver on the dash. It works great. My MH is 37 feet. I have mine wired so that I can check behind me while driving.
iamcanuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I'm towing a 30 foot TT, but I installed one of the Voyager WVOS511 wireless cameras.

The only hard part was drilling the hole in the siding, which was not difficult as much as it was nerve wracking.

Andre
Andre, what did you use to seal the hole? My first time to put a hole in the wall and I want to weather seal it correctly after I install our camera. Thanks
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, camera