Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
Wireless camera for Garmin 760

Has anyone hooked up a Garmin BC 20 which is the wireless back up camera. Where did you use it? Where did you get power from.

I was thinking of setting it up as a roof clearance or front blind spot tool. We already have a built in 3 camera system that is pretty good.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
I'll keep an eye on this post as I too would like to re-purpose the use of this camera. I have a bike rack on the toad and it is out of sight from my backup camera which I keep active while driving. Ideally I would like to mount the camera in the toad and face it rearward to keep on eye on the bikes. I have taken extra precautions to insure the bikes are secure, but a camera would provide another layer of protection in that I may see a potential problem before it becomes a catastrophe.

2006 Winnebago Journey 36GSE; 2014 CRV; Blue Ox; SMI AF-1
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought the BC-20 camera as a package with the Garmin RV 760LMT GPS. The BC-20 is paired with a wireless receiver module mounted on the rear of the GPS display unit. It is a few millimeters thicker than the non-wireless module. This may affect your GPS mount (it did for me). The pairing also means that the BC-20 probably must be used with GPSes made by Garmin that use a similar module. It is not a stand-alone camera.

I used the Gamin BC-20 as my rear view camera on a 27-foot Class C. I mounted it inside, under the rear valence, pointing out the rear window. There was a 12V (cigarette lighter) outlet immediately below the rear window. I connected a cable with an on-off switch to the outlet and the camera at the beginning of each day we traveled. I stored the cable in the front console. I found it necessary to lash the 12V plug to the socket so that it would not bounce out while going down the road, making the camera signal come and go.

The transmitter that comes with the camera has a limited range and is direction-sensitive (it likes to point at the receiving unit). On my Class C, the signal was strong enough to go from front to back. If you mount it in a toad, you should put the transmitter high on the inside of the front windshield. Garmin sells extension cables if the distance between the camera and transmitter/power locations is more than the supplied cord length. "Your mileage may vary" applies here; I believe wireless cameras are not generally as reliable as wired cameras.

The camera is designed for a rear-view application. I cannot tell you if it can be set not to reverse the image- maybe, maybe not.

Finally, as is usual for these things, applying 12V power to the camera will "take over" the GPS display. However, it only requires a single press on the correct GPS screen icon to switch between the GPS and camera displays.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote