Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wiring-curse/blessing

The inevitable has happened. the routing of this harness was bound to do this. Thus "the curse" the wiring welded it self together and arced to the bracket. I realised I had a problem when my stairs failed to open after I parked my unit at home. "the blessing" it could have failed on the road!

I am in the process of repairs and can only pray this mess didn't damage anything else, the only way I will know is when I reconnect the batteries.
My starter wont turn over either so no engine. There is a hydraulic hose for my levelling jacks very close also so a chafing pad will be put on that.

I am not sure where all these wires go but I am looking. My batteries took a beating but seem to have taken a full charge.

These pictures were taken from the ground up.

I could fuss about how stupid this routing was and such but it won't get it fixed or help my aching back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0178.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	85774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0180.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	85775  

donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

Connect the dots with solder and shrink tubing. Small propane soldering gun very handy. Available at Radio Shack if you can find one. Also small spools of color coded wire. Also have shrink tubing.
Alrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
WOW!

What a freakn' rats nest and mess.

Yes, it's a blessing that it was discovered now versus some lonely location while on the road.

The techs working at numerous RV building facilities aren't always the smartest on this planet and most of the engineers don't have a clue.

It's one thing to assemble this stuff and another to use logic and common sense which is lacking BIG TIME in the RV industry.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When done as an added precaution take a piece of water hose about 2-3" long, cut length wise, and use plastic wire ties to secure it over the edge of the metal brace the wires arced on to begin with. From the pic it looks more likely that the wiring bundle cover chaffed thru and the wires then rubbed on the sharp edge of the bracket causing the short in the wiring harness, not that they welded together and then arced on the bracket.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Be carefull and take your time.

Get the following.

250 watt weller gun type soldering iron.
Solder
Scotch 88 tape
Some water hose from napa or top radiator hose
Spare wire
Some air hose that matches tge melted one
Some fittings to splice

Repair broken wires first then cut extend and splice the rest one at a time.

Look at routing the bundle away from anything that moves.

Water hose...???

Route the wires one at a time through a piece of water hose large enough for all to pass with room.

Tape each soldered splice well.

When all are good check operations and repair as needed until everything works and check for air leaks.

Then tape up the bundle and slide the hose over to protect it then secure in place where it is clear of moving parts.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all!
All the wires are reconnected. Soldering was not an option, the wires were directly overhead. One drop of hot solder would have quickly shut me down.

I used crimp connectors. space was limited and some wires had to be cut rather short because the insulation was brittle and bonded to the copper.

The bundle will be held away from all things with clamps and new shroud.

Everything is working after replacing several fuses except the engine starter solenoid I think a fuseable link is burned out. Finding it is going to take time.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
KIX

Donnyman..........since you used crimp connectors you may want to "paint" each connector with Liquid Electrical Tape. It's a liquid silicone product. Will keep them from corroding.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #8

Bare minimum would be scotchkote and be sure to brush it into the connectors.

Let it cure then another coat.

After that cures wrap with scotch 88.

Do not use the cheap stuff...
Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Donnyman..........since you used crimp connectors you may want to "paint" each connector with Liquid Electrical Tape. It's a liquid silicone product. Will keep them from corroding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Bare minimum would be scotchkote and be sure to brush it into the connectors.

Let it cure then another coat.

After that cures wrap with scotch 88.

Do not use the cheap stuff...
X-2 for both!
I was going to say to get the marine grade connectors with the built in heat shrink, but if you already have it done, it is a moot point! At least coat everything with the above said products, as the road salts and chemicals will quickly eat up what you have done, and you will be doing it again, on the side of the road! JMHO! Rail!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
KIX-----TQ60----guardrail53 and D lindy

All good ideas, Will do I was thinking along those lines and you all put my brain in gear, I do not want to be bothered by this bundle again.

By the way this is the third bundle that needed repairs, blown tires caused the others, the first I fixed. the second ended with a $18,000 bill (rip off) good thing my insurance covered it.

I am averaging about $10,000 a year in maintaince cost so far, so i am really into the preventative maintenance mode.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #11

That is not surprising. I watched RV Nation on TV last night. They featured a 2015 King Aire. They said it has just under 5 miles of wiring in the entire MH.
For future reference; Rescue Tape also has a voltage insulation factor to withstand 5,000 Volts, is thick and "rubbery" enough to last a long time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
WOW!

What a freakn' rats nest and mess.

Yes, it's a blessing that it was discovered now versus some lonely location while on the road.

The techs working at numerous RV building facilities aren't always the smartest on this planet and most of the engineers don't have a clue.

It's one thing to assemble this stuff and another to use logic and common sense which is lacking BIG TIME in the RV industry.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My thoughts exactly, I could tell stories...........
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

The wiring harness has caused me fits. Everything in the start system burned up including the starter. because someone wired the harness against a sharp bracket. (the one with the holes)

I just finished replacing the start switch. some time this week I will get to test to see if the starter will turn over.

Many fuses and such needed replacement and the harness is repaired. everything that was effected is up and running unless I missed something. if the starter works I'll start buttoning this thing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0178.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	90767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0180.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	90768  

Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
wiring

Well at first and some time after The starter would not turn over, I was going nuts it didn't make any sense ....until I remembered I moved a black battery lead off the positive battery lead thinking it was on the wrong post.
as it turns out that wire lead directly to the starter and had been cut and rejoined it was red at the starter and black at the battery. that was my starter problem, she's running again.

It ain't over I am closing up the wiring harness and want to used rubber coated clamps and had to order them from Granger. It is getting harder to get parts.

Tags
wiring