Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Wiring schematic

I am completing the install on my MCD window shade and need some input on wiring the DPDT momentary switch. This is a Rocker switch that controls the up and down directin of the shade with off being in the middle. I have attached a pdf of the manual and the wiring schematic is on page 7. My first thought was that the 12v + and - wires would only be connected to the + and - pins on the switch on the left hand side. But now I see a reference to "jumper Wire after the line passes through the + and - pins on the right side of the switch. Am I correct that the + and - 12v wires first connect to the right side pins and then continue to the left side pins by a jumper wire. It seem to makes sense since each side would need power. Right. I sometimes get confused with schematics. Thanks

MCD-AmDuo-OM-r6-1-5-download-2.pdf

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A DPDT switch is actually two switches with one button. The left and right side of the switch are not internally connected in the switch.

All they are doing with the jumpers is to power both the up and down function with one set of power wires. In one position the switch runs power to the black wire and in the other position it runs power to the black with strip wire.

There are no + or - poles (connections) on a switch. If the switch is labeled as such it is only to help someone to wire the switch.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
A DPDT switch is actually two switches with one button. The left and right side of the switch are not internally connected in the switch.

All they are doing with the jumpers is to power both the up and down function with one set of power wires. In one position the switch runs power to the black wire and in the other position it runs power to the black with strip wire.

There are no + or - poles (connections) on a switch. If the switch is labeled as such it is only to help someone to wire the switch.
Thanks I felt that was right, but wanted to make sure.. You are correct there are no + / - on the switch just on the schematic showing where to connect the wires. Thanks again.

Don
Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Thanks I felt that was right, but wanted to make sure.. You are correct there are no + / - on the switch just on the schematic showing where to connect the wires. Thanks again.

Don
Everything connected and works like a charm. Thanks again
Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
glad you got it wired correctly and it is working. Just for your information. To reverse the direction of a DC motor you reverse the polarity of the power to it. What the switch you wired in does is have the polarity to the motor in one direction when you push the switch up and the polarity to the motor the other direction when you push it down.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
glad you got it wired correctly and it is working. Just for your information. To reverse the direction of a DC motor you reverse the polarity of the power to it. What the switch you wired in does is have the polarity to the motor in one direction when you push the switch up and the polarity to the motor the other direction when you push it down.
By Gorge that is absolutely correct.

DC Direct Current simply put is like a water system, send water (12vdc) one way and it pushing the object from left to right, Now reverse, or send the water the other way and it pushes the object from right to left.

Tags
wiring