Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Wiring up new Atwood 10 gallon - extra wire and what to do with it

Hey everyone,
Just came across this thread (I tried to reply to it but it is so old the forum won't let me) because I just bought a 2002 Monaco and am replacing the old 10 gallon Atwood with a new 10 gallon Atwood. I have the same issue, 3 wires from the old one and 4 for the new one. In my coach at the electrical management panel, I have a 120 volt toggle switch and then a 12 volt toggle switch. I am guessing that means 120 for electric heating and 12 volt for propane heating, and I can have them both on for electric+propane heating.

I have read this thread and it looks like I can wire things up so that both of those switches work like they always have, even with this new water heater, but I just need to wire the extra wire to a 12V power source. Right next to the water heater, I have a red and black wire running into a propane gas monitor that is always on. It says on the front of it "12V" so I am thinking I can just tap into the red or black wire here to run to the 12V switch on my new water heater? Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I am not the best at reading wiring diagrams so I am trying to figure this out and get my new water heater working.

Here is the manual with the wiring

Thank you!
cgreer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

OK....
That manual is for the new water heater you have (GC10A-4E)

But does NOT cover the swapping/wiring of your old 10 gal (GC10A-3E) to the new 4E

3E used 120V AC DIRECTLY to the electric heat element and had it's OWN t-stat/ECO

4E uses 12V DC to BOTH On/Off switches, a common circuit board, one set of t-stat/ECO for heating control and the 120V AC is 'triggered' via a DC Relay

Posting how to wire is TOO long so here is a service manual that explains differences and HOW to convert.....
Manual covers Atwood Water Heaters, Ranges, Furnaces and Hardware

Info for conversion starts on pg 25 of Electronic Water Heaters Section (which is roughly pg 34 of manual)

After reading ...got questions.....send me a PM
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...nuals-2007.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OK....
That manual is for the new water heater you have (GC10A-4E)

But does NOT cover the swapping/wiring of your old 10 gal (GC10A-3E) to the new 4E

3E used 120V AC DIRECTLY to the electric heat element and had it's OWN t-stat/ECO

4E uses 12V DC to BOTH On/Off switches, a common circuit board, one set of t-stat/ECO for heating control and the 120V AC is 'triggered' via a DC Relay

Posting how to wire is TOO long so here is a service manual that explains differences and HOW to convert.....
Manual covers Atwood Water Heaters, Ranges, Furnaces and Hardware

Info for conversion starts on pg 25 of Electronic Water Heaters Section (which is roughly pg 34 of manual)

After reading ...got questions.....send me a PM
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...nuals-2007.pdf
Thank you!
cgreer00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, wiring