Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

With experience, do you now "pack light" for trips?

After you've traveled a few years, do you find that you pack lighter for extended trips?

Last year we did a 4-week and an 8-week trip. I learned that you can buy everything you need on the road, when you need it. And you might not ever need it!

Found that, outside of having lots of socks and underwear, we really didn't all that many pairs of jeans and t shirts and different coats or sweaters.

Food? We really did not need to pack as much. There's always a WalMart or other groceries. And we found some pretty nice food stores in our travels that we had not shopped at before.

We're planning a Spring trip to the Gulf, and I want to see how light we can pack to start this time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW always takes too much food from the stick house. And yes, we really don't use many clothes either.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #3

Food is one thing, durable goods like clothing and tools are another. We are in the NE so we usually start with a mix of short and long clothes just to get out of town. Ditto jackets and hats that might get packed away after a few days on the road.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My DH is the "overpacker" He likes to clear the cabinets whenever we hit the road. The one thing we always forget seems to be ketchup/mustard or something along those lines! But that's why we have Wal Mart! I do have to say after years of this I really have packing down to a science and it always goes smoothly. We keep jackets in the MH so we don't have to always add them and water shoes too!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
After you've traveled a few years, do you find that you pack lighter for extended trips?

Last year we did a 4-week and an 8-week trip. I learned that you can buy everything you need on the road, when you need it. And you might not ever need it!

Found that, outside of having lots of socks and underwear, we really didn't all that many pairs of jeans and t shirts and different coats or sweaters.

Food? We really did not need to pack as much. There's always a WalMart or other groceries. And we found some pretty nice food stores in our travels that we had not shopped at before.

We're planning a Spring trip to the GUlf, and I want to see how light we can pack to start this time.
Don't feel bad, we've all made the same mistakes (and some of us still do!)

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ah, our motto is if we have room, fill it with something!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

When we FTd we had everything we owned with us and YET we didn't have as near as much stuff as majority of weekend campers brought with them.......they would start setting up and stuff would come out and keep getting pulled out like a circus clown car.

I could open any compartment and SEE everything inside. Same with drawers/cabinets/closets.

Motto was

1 Bag IN-------2 Bags OUT
Old 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We have been 4 months a year summer traveler for 14 years. We find we pack less and less each year. We leave the cool weather clothes and shoes in the MH along with other always used items. We pack a shopping list and make a Walmart stop. Much easier than several trips packing food into the MH.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

For us, every trip seems to be a little different than the last. Really depends on where we are going, what time of year it is and how long we are going to stay. Having said that, we always seem to over pack to some degree.

hatchet
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We usually travel light. not many clothes other than socks and underwear but I am guilty of too many lawn chairs. When company comes by to visit, I like a seat for everyone and we always tale a lot of drinks.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Ah, our motto is if we have room, fill it with something!

Sounds like my wife, too much stuff we argue about it constantly that's why I needed the W24?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #12

When we leave for the summer, whatever is in the pantry and fridge in S&B goes with us and whatever is left in the freezer does too, then food wise it depends on where we are going. This years first stop is Yosemite for a week, so we will have to have groceries for that time. If we were headed to wine country, for example, we'd wait to shop when we got to where we were going and would supplement what we took out of the house fridge. This took us 2 seasons to figure out.

As for clothes and other stuff, the coach has it's stuff, the S&B has it's stuff. We pack very little else, that took us the same 2 seasons. We can literally pack up and get out of town in an hour now.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

We keep ours packed with all kinds of clothes we normally wear, and only bring extra stuff that may be specific to where we are going. As far as food we bring a good amount of frozen meats and quick microwave type frozen snacks. We start off with a fairly full fridge and usually stop at stores for food shopping like we normally would if we were at home, after the first week or so. I figure we have a big fridge so why not use the space.

I usually have all the chemicals, toilet paper, mechanical stuff needed for the length of trip, but as said you can always stop at stores if needed. I'd rather have too much than to try and save space and need something. Even with this type of packing we still have some empty spaces, drawers and room in the closets.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We're getting better with each trip.

While there are a few areas we could improve on in terms of the "quantity" of stuff we bring (clothing and food jumps to mind) - our real efforts these days are focused on how to better organize and store stuff inside the coach and "basement".

We've had our coach for just about a year now - but are almost always actively searching for better ways to protect stuff and/or eliminate movement when we're actually rolling - as well as to improve ease of access and "organization over time". Ease of access = making it as easy to get to stuff at the back of deep storage compartments as it is to get the stuff at the front. "Organization over time" = packing things in such a way that drawers and compartments don't immediately have that freshly ransacked look as soon as we pull something out of them.

Finding the perfect size/shape bins to help organize overhead compartments seems to be an endless quest. Tweaking how we pack in order to find the best place for each and every thing we do bring seems to be a constant as well.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light