Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Wobbly Winegard Batwing

I have a 1999 Airstream class A with most likely the orig. Winegard batwing antenna. It does not have the wingman on it so I want to upgrade however the antenna when raised and you are on the roof so you can look at it is able to wobble around maybe 4 inches or so. Also this antenna when fully in the up position is on a slight angle from top to bottom I think that is the way they were in 1999. I have noticed the new ones are straight up. They look a lot better straight up I took the thing apart and lubricated everything and noticed a black rubber ring in the base where the crank worm gear goes thru the base had a break in it but it still seems to work. As far as I can tell nothing is bent or broken. My dilemma is should I get the wingman or get the entire Winegard antenna mechanism complete replacement? If this is normal to have some wobble it would save me a lot of labor and some cash to just replace the antenna head and be done with it. Any input would be appreciated
Airstream14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like the rotation plate retaining nut is loose. There is a long tube nut tool used to tighten these. To access, simply remove the crank handle, spring and ceiling rotator. The nut is up inside the assembly. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

Wow, I did not see any nut up in the bottom of it when looking. It looked like the only thing holding downward pressure was the spring, and when I crank it up the shaft with the crank on it wobbles all around the hole in the white plastic plate on the ceiling. If I am on the roof I can actually lift the antenna up a quarter inch at least. I will look at it tonight unless there is a big storm and get back to you as to what I find out. I wonder if that nut is just missing.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Just another note. The wobble I am talking about is between the base plate and the upper assembly not between the baseplate and the roof. It is secured to the roof very well.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

I just went out and removed the lower assembly and there is no nut in there someone must have lost it or could not get it back on and threw it away.
Is there a place i can get replacement parts for this ?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Don't know where to just get the retaining nut so good luck. You might try Winegard customer support they have a good selection of replacement parts on their website.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417287376.448239.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	80208

Here is a parts diagram which includes part numbers. Hope it help.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote