Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Wonder why

Had to cancel this years trip North due to my wife breaking her hip. In canceling reservations it seamed the parks that are the hardest to get into are the ones that have the no refund of deposit policy. I know they are going to fill the spot so no loss of revenue to them but still no refund, but they want me to book for next year. What's everyones thought on this?

mccrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Had to cancel this years trip North due to my wife breaking her hip. In canceling reservations it seamed the parks that are the hardest to get into are the ones that have the no refund of deposit policy. I know they are going to fill the spot so no loss of revenue to them but still no refund, but they want me to book for next year. What's everyones thought on this?

Because they can!

High demand, low supply = high prices. First day of Econ 101.

Hope your DW heals quickly and correctly.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

It seems like this is the trend in RV park deposits. I usually check their cancel reservations policy before I book. I'm especially wary of CGs that want the entire rental up front.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
mccrob
My thought is they care more about the $$ than they do about you.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

If they told me no refund, I'll tell them to forget the request because either I'll be there or a relative. Then, if I can't get anyone to take my place as my guest, the slot can just stay empty.

I can understand maybe a 10% or so cancellation fee, but no refund at all is unacceptable.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Feel free to share the park name. I certainly would not want to go there no matter how popular they are. Not being able to go because of a medical reason trump all policies. As much as I detest the airlines at least they give consideration for medical issues.
Social media is a powerful thing. I'd let the park know I was going to post it to all my social media accounts and advise everyone I know of the lack of consideration. I am not a fan of anyone taking advantage of another person regardless of what their "policy" is.
Hope the recovery is quick and you are able to get out there nad enjoy the RV soon!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with Dean, it's because they can!

I would go ahead and use it for next year. At least there's a chance you can recover your money!

Sure hope Elaine recovers quickly!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

My brother's wife became sick and he had to cancel all of the trips they had planned for this summer and he went through the same thing. It is a rip off because like you said, they are going to fill that spot regardless. I could understand cancelling a week before but he was cancelling months in advance. How about a little compassion for some of the people that pay the parks bills.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Campgrounds with easy refund policies inevitably find themselves dealing with people who will book several weekends through the summer, then cancel some on short notice if the weather is bad or they decide to do something else. The rest of us pay the penalty for these low-class leeches.

Years ago there were stores in the northeast called Service Merchandise. They had a 30 day, no question return policy. It became quite common for the low-grade types to buy a big TV in January, watch the last two weeks of the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl, and then return the TV; or buy a big video camera, go on vacation, then return the video rig on return.
We reap what they sow.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
They may rent the spot. Then again they may not. The closer to arrival time the reservations are canceled the less likely it can be rented. In addition how many people did they turn away for those same dates. Those who were turned away won't try to book those dates again. If the site is booked it'll be by someone who made spur of the moment plans.

As mentioned in another post the owners are trying to ensure the sights are filled. Past practices of booking multiple sites or multiple dates then not showing because of bad weather or other changes in plans has resulted in this type of policy.

In most places the camping season is short. In order to survive the owners need to keep the sites full or nearly full the entire season. With a non-refundable deposit there are fewer no shows.

We've been camping for over 40 years and RVing for the last 18. In all those years we've never had a campground with a non refundable policy not explain the terms before we make the reservation. We understand our commitment before we make a deposit and are willing to accept the responsibility.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I see the term trip north. Are these one night stands or week? If one night I can see the CG owners point. They have labor in you reservation and cancel then maybe a recent. If week or so then I side with one night or ? penalty. HAVE you ever heard of people who make several reservations just in case they can go at different places to covet weather? It's not always the big rich camp ground owner, so much of the time it's the little guy trying to make a living with a limited time to do so. Just another pointof view.

LEN
Old 07-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #12

IMO anyone who makes a reservation at a campground or RV park with a "cancellation policy", (or any other policy they disagree with), has no right to complain about any policy.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Certainly "because they can", but they have some very legitimate reasons too. For one, neither you nor they want people reserving sites on a whim, "just in case" they will need it. And there is some overhead in making and changing/cancelling reservations, and its not just a few seconds to type on the keyboard. A high demand park takes a fair amount of site management time to get people into sites that best fit the size they need or the type they want, and it is often desirable to shift people around if a desirable site opens up.

We worked in RV parks for several years and even managed a popular one for awhile. It's not as simple as you might think.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately it because the CG has lost $$ with people booking and cancelling last minute, or not at all. They are adopting policies the same as a hotel or resort because they may or may not re-rent that space. I don't blame the CG I blame the inconsiderate people who have forced the CG to take this position, depending on when the stay was booked and then cancelled they may have been able to rent that space a number of times, once that night is gone it is gone forever, they cannot recover it.

If you are booking well in advance and facing a cancellation fee that is high enough that you deem it needed, you can check into the purchase of trip cancellation insurance.

On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote