Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wood floor installation

We purchased a 2004 Monaco Signature 45' 4 slide Castle IV in 2013. This coach, while mechanically sound, had not been well maintained as far as the slide seals and canvas slide toppers were concerned. Farther more it had been stored in an open storage lot in the south east and had been broken into and all the entertainment electronics, satellite receiver, radio, and backup camera display were stolen. We bought the coach fully realizing that extensive repairs were going to be needed and the price we paid reflected this. Luckily I possess the skills to do a great deal of the required repairs.

After getting all the home entertainment system and accessories, installing HD satellite TV's and antenna, and replacing all the canvas awnings, we managed to get an appointment with Ernie Ekberg in Weatherford, TX ( http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net/ ) to get a new engineered hardwood floor installed. Ernie specializes in the installation of engineered hardwood floors in coaches and trailers and is a master craftsman who takes pride in doing a perfect job.

The original coach floor was about 50% tile with at least 6 tiles that had been cracked do to flexing of the rotted sub floor. The removal of the tile was a slow job – it was chiseled up about 1 sq. in. at a time. The subfloor consisted of two layers of 5/8” OSB. All the rotted sections were cut out and repaired using 5/8” AB marine grade plywood. The entire floor project took 16 days of Ernie's and my time. When I wasn't running for plywood and picking up odds and ends we needed, I was helping with the removal of the old floor, repairs and clean up. It was a BIG project!!

We selected commercial grade 9/16” engineered bamboo wood flooring for the replacement floor. Wife loves the ease with which this floor can be cleaned and it is sure good looking and wears well.

We have lived full time in this coach since June 2013. The floor was done 1 1/2 years ago. We have driven 25,600+ miles in that time and have been across the country 5 times. After completing the repairs and the new floor, we have a reliable, good looking coach that will definitely last us until we are ready to hang up the keys and settle down.

The following photos show the rotted floor, repairs, tile removal and installation of the bamboo floor. The color variation in the floor is do to 3 different cameras that were used in taking the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03713.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	110893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03722.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	110894  

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	110895   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03723.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	110896  

Name:	DSC03733.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	110897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03734.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	110898  

Name:	DSC03772.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	110899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03776.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	110900  

Name:	DSC03773.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	110901  
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looks Great! Engine access/step especially. We also used Engineered Bamboo in our stick home, it looks great and wears wonderfully.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

Looks great. Wish I had your skills, could use them on a Bounder😜 . We just had Ernie install engineered Acacia 1 week ago. Love it. But Bounder has cheapa@@ slides so it's a bit of a pain to try and keep them from getting scratched. Our picsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446405161.346362.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	110902Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446405178.153605.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	110904Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446405196.731059.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	110905

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Flooring cost question

I've got an 06 monaco diplomat...part tile part carpet.. What do you think a project to replace all with engineered floor would cost in round numbers, so I know what to budget for...want to get this done after first of year
TIA
leshchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

Curious?... Are people gluiing down the flooring or doing the floating method?... What if any shrinkage/expansion issues has anyone had?
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We did ours with vinyl plank. Left it floating. My justification was vibration, bumps, etc.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Engineered wood adhered with urethane adhesive- no problems. Cuts right up against the walls and cabinets- no issue. Engineered wood is dimensionally stable. If you have heard different- you have been misinformed.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Looks great. Wish I had your skills, could use them on a Bounder�� . We just had Ernie install engineered Acacia 1 week ago. Love it. But Bounder has cheapa@@ slides so it's a bit of a pain to try and keep them from getting scratched. Our picsAttachment 110902Attachment 110904Attachment 110905

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
The wood should have been from side to side instead of Front to Rear. We want the floor to look wider, not longer. This is what i did.

Also the wood should be bigger to make the floor look bigger. One could think that thin wood in a small area will look bigger but it is the opposite we have to do. So put wider wood.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Curious?... Are people gluiing down the flooring or doing the floating method?... What if any shrinkage/expansion issues has anyone had?
I use floating method. I drove more than 10 000 miles no problems. I have purchased an extra box. If I get a problem I can fix it.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Carl- to each his own.
100% of my installs are lengthwise- and 100% of clients are happy.
and 100% is adhered, not floating
to each his own~
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Carl- to each his own.
100% of my installs are lengthwise- and 100% of clients are happy.
and 100% is adhered, not floating
to each his own~
Ernie,

The job you do is very good looking this is why they are satisfied.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
The wood should have been from side to side instead of Front to Rear. We want the floor to look wider, not longer. This is what i did.

Also the wood should be bigger to make the floor look bigger. One could think that thin wood in a small area will look bigger but it is the opposite we have to do. So put wider wood.
Personally I can not imagine having the wood run side to side, would look very busy I think but as mentioned to each his own.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Personally I can not imagine having the wood run side to side, would look very busy I think but as mentioned to each his own.
In Florida, in a campground I saw a Fleetwood Pace Arrow vision 36.5 same year and same color as mine. I went to see the owner. We shared all our tricks. Then I visited his and he visited mine.

Both of us were very surprised to see how much his living space looked smaller. It was like if he had lost 33% space compared to mine.

The best would be to go 45 degree but this was to much work.

Anyway, there is no debate here, any decorator would tell you to put it side to side. I don't know about USA decorator but here in French Quebec they would all go side to side.

Look by yourself at the pictures shown here in this thread and then look at a floor on a 500k or more Allegro Bus:

Click on the picture.

They put bigger pieces (well, it is a fake vinyl but still). And they don't go front to rear. Going 45 degree strech the lines in two directions.

In my opinion another mistake in the current thread is that he did not put a "4 to 5 inches ceramic" strip on the floor in the kitchen (8 to 10 inches on a four extensions). This is mandatory to separate visually the kitchen. Just a few inches and it is like magic. But if you put more than 6 inches then the living space will look smaller. Just try it with newspaper for a test.

Click on this image to see an example of ceramic strip:

But he put wood under the driver's seat and this is very very good in my opinion. It expand visually the floor up to the front. And the job he has done is simply perfect and very professionnal. Very nice looking and clean.

Finally, a floating floor is more adequate in a motorhome. A glued floor can not expand anywhere else than between each piece of wood. So on the long term you will see cracks. You could glue a small area of wooden floor on a single piece of thick plywood and have the plywood floating on the floor on sticking tape. Let's say 3' x 8' in my opinion would be the maximum. Bigger than that the plywood would not resist the torsions.

For a floating floor, you put a sticking tape on the first row in the kitchen and then the rest is floating and will adapt with the vehicule torsions. And there are torsions. Don't trust any other suggestions about it, there are torsions because it is not a house but a moving vehicule.

Hey, this is just my opinion, I am not an expert.

Tags
install