Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 02:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Wood laminate or tile floor with flush floor system slides

I have a 2009 pace arrow 38p and would like some input on removing carpet and installing solid flooring. Does the slide really scratch the floor. Which material is best under this type of slide system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

There is a lot of discussion on this topic and many different types of materials used under the rollers to protect the floor. This along with making sure the complete path of rollers is clean before moving the slide. This includes the ramp where it lowers if your system has that. I am currently replacing all the tile and carpet with hardwood in our coach. So been watching the active discussions on protecting the new floor and carefully observing where dirt might get picked up on the rollers.

Steve

Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spk64 I use the vinyl place mats. One full then cut one in half. Tape the two together with metal tape.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
epj

We replaced the carpet in our 02 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with solid bamboo. Very hard wood. We have since sold that one, but there was no evidence of the slide marking the floor. I would definitely not recommend laminate for this.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

I'm in the process of replacing the carpet in my 2006 expedition with LVP (vinyl plank). If your flush floor slide is like mine, there are no rollers. It rides on the carpet. Since the slide rides on carpet, when you remove it the slide will ride on whatever new surface you install. And yes, I believe it will scratch it as the underside of the slide is comprised of an extruded aluminum tonque/ramp and sheet metal. It might not scratch tile, but it will most likely leave marks. My solution (still theory at this stage) is to install the LVP (Coretec Plus) which is 8 mm thick. When I retract the slide, once the extruded aluminum tongue/ramp starts up the mating main floor mounted ramp I will lay pieces of carpet runner down over the LVP. I got the carpet runner at Home Depot. It comes 2' wide and is about 1/8" thick. It is tight weave carpet on one side and rubber on the other. So the total floor thickness with the LVP and carpet runner will be 0.445". This is very close to the thickness of the current carpet and pad when compressed by the weight of the slide. The rubber backing of the carpet runner will prevent it from sliding on the LVP and the carpet side will act just like the old carpet. Assuming your slide is like mine, you'll find the biggest challenge is to cover the gap between the slide floor and were the main floor material starts. The main floor material cannot start adjacent to the open slide floor due to the way the slide works. I can explain this further if you want and what my method of covering it is.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
I'm in the process of replacing the carpet in my 2006 expedition with LVP (vinyl plank). If your flush floor slide is like mine, there are no rollers. It rides on the carpet. Since the slide rides on carpet, when you remove it the slide will ride on whatever new surface you install. And yes, I believe it will scratch it as the underside of the slide is comprised of an extruded aluminum tonque/ramp and sheet metal. It might not scratch tile, but it will most likely leave marks. My solution (still theory at this stage) is to install the LVP (Coretec Plus) which is 8 mm thick. When I retract the slide, once the extruded aluminum tongue/ramp starts up the mating main floor mounted ramp I will lay pieces of carpet runner down over the LVP. I got the carpet runner at Home Depot. It comes 2' wide and is about 1/8" thick. It is tight weave carpet on one side and rubber on the other. So the total floor thickness with the LVP and carpet runner will be 0.445". This is very close to the thickness of the current carpet and pad when compressed by the weight of the slide. The rubber backing of the carpet runner will prevent it from sliding on the LVP and the carpet side will act just like the old carpet. Assuming your slide is like mine, you'll find the biggest challenge is to cover the gap between the slide floor and were the main floor material starts. The main floor material cannot start adjacent to the open slide floor due to the way the slide works. I can explain this further if you want and what my method of covering it is.
If the carpet has rubber backing and if it is stored for several months at a time, say during the off season, won't the rubber start to stick to the floor?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
What laminate are you referring to. Laminate floors are the most resistant and totally waterproof, not water resistant.
Allure Ultra are vinyl planks interlolcking
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
If the carpet has rubber backing and if it is stored for several months at a time, say during the off season, won't the rubber start to stick to the floor?
I should clarified. I f the Carpet has a rubber backing and if the RV is stored with the slide-outs closed and laying on top the carpets for several months or more, say during the off season, wouldn't there be a risk of the rubber backing sticking to the floor?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I should clarified. I f the Carpet has a rubber backing and if the RV is stored with the slide-outs closed and laying on top the carpets for several months or more, say during the off season, wouldn't there be a risk of the rubber backing sticking to the floor?
Hi Ed,

It's an interesting thought, but I don't think it will be a problem, time of course will tell. Assuming I use 5 runner strips 12" wide and 30" long under the slide (12' slide 30" deep) there will be well under 1 PSI of pressure on the runners. The rubber backing appears to be neoprene which is pretty stable. I'm guessing the worst condition I'll encounter after months of storage will be having the peel the runners up, but not scrape them loose. I think I will run a little experiment though with some scrap flooring, runner and a heavy weight. Thanks for the thought.

The comment that laminate is waterproof is not entirely correct. The base material (MDF/HDF) will absorb some water and expand (albeit only a few percent when soaked in water). I experimented with several laminate samples including bamboo, stranded bamboo and some engineered hardwood samples. They all absorb some water. The bamboo products absorbed (as determined by expansion) between 1 and 2% although I had one that was had a stranded bamboo top layer and MDF core expand 7.8%. The LVP products are waterproof and dimensionally stable.

Tags
slide