Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Workhorse Brake Recall

On a recent trip I experienced a problem with the right front brake locking up. I could tell the vehicle wasn't riding correctly and pulled over. The right front wheel was so hot I could not touch the hub cap for over an hour. I called for road side assistance and by the time they came, the brake freed itself up. I returned home and scheduled the motorhome for service. I took it to a shop that was recomended by Camping World. It turns out it was not a Workhorse authorized service center. I have an extended warranty so I had them contact the company and they advised us that a recall was in effect for my vehicle. I never received any notice of the problem. On contacting Workhorse, they told me I had to take it to an anuthorized service center for evaluation and if it met the requirements that it would be covered. In the meanwhile it cost me $282.86 for the diagnosis.
When I took it to the authorized Workhorse service center, they inspected the parts and I was notified that all four calipers and the seal on the right front bearing would be replaced under the recall.
The first shop told me that I MUST have the brake hoses, pads and wheel bearings replaced because they have been damaged. The workhorse center said they were OK and didn't need replaceing. The first shop told me this after I informed them that I was taking it to an authorized workhorse dealer so they had no axe to grind at that time. they were very friendly and said that I should insist on this work being done.
My question is, should I or can I have an independent mechanic inspect the parts to determine what course I should take. Any adivse would be apprieciated.

PhilNDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
It seems to me sad and reckless for WH to dally around with brakes. Nothing on that chassis or any chassis is more important to life and limb than the brakes. IMHO if those brakes got that hot, and I am sure they did, it affected nearly every part of the system. I would get an attorney, if WH did not pony up to the total replacement of all the parts qualified mechanics deemed needed to be replaced. A strong letter from an attorney will not cost you that much and will establish a record for all time.

Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
If you search for this topic over on rv.net you will find a very long string with all kinds of information on the situation. I don't know any details since I don't own a WH chassis. But folks over there are on top of the situation.
Bob & Katie Cook

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ummmm....if you search for this topic right here on iRV2 in the Workhorse Chassis forum, you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about this topic.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I would go with the advice offered by the authorized Workhorse repair center. It is true that Workhorse has a pending recall on the brake calipers used on your coach, however the recall has not been launched at this time due to no suitable parts being available from the manufacturer, (Bosch). Make sure you are listed as owner of the coach with Workhorse, with your current address, and you should be notified when the recall begins.
The Workhorse repair facility is offering to replace all four calipers, and these replaced calipers will be replaced once again, once suitable replacement units are available from Bosch. I am sure the Workhorse facility where your coach is presently located will inspect and replace any additional parts as required.
If you want more info on this, do a search here on this site. Lots of reading on this subject.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PhilNDenise: First let me say WELCOME to iRV2.com. We're glad you joined and posted.

Sorry to hear that you have experienced the "hanging caliper" problem with your brakes. Please scroll on down to the Workhorse Forum below where you can join in the many discussions there regarding brakes.
Your first post seems to indicate that you found your way into an ASC which will provide a temporary fix until the "final fix" parts become available. I wish you good luck.

FYI, you are listed as the owner of record of a W-22, and therefore "should" have received an "Interim Notice" back in May 2009 regarding what to do in case of a brake related problem. Those documents are in the "stickys" at the top of the Workhorse forum for your reference.

Again, WELCOME to iRV2.com!

2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote