Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I am not going to respond to the naysayer except to point out that I do not work for Workhorse. I never had the brake issues, but I have had them recalled and it IS nice to know that I don't have to worry. The handling of my 04 W22 on a 38' Winnie is a whole lot better than a lot of other rigs I have seen. Trucks passing and high winds do not much effect at all... amazingly so.
Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All the hype is about the brake problem they've had and the slow response time to address the issue. Now that that is taken care of I would hope people would quit bashing the Workhorse name. It is a great chassis and teamed with all the components that make it up, I don't think you'll find a better one. If you are still considering a WH just make sure the brake issue has been addressed on the particular rig you are looking at. There will be documentation that the service has been completed. To add we LOVE ours and wouldn't trade it.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
How about length ? Do the longer mh's have more sway issues ?
We have one of the heaviest coaches built on the W22 platform. We have no sway no rock and roll at all. It's just shy of 38' and lacks a lot of CCC that people look for. With some carefull planning and the correct placement of the things you carry on board (clothes, food etc.) we have NO problems at all. There is not one modification made to our chassis at all and it drives like a dream. We travel out West a lot and use the major highways to get to our destinations and have NO problem with trucks passing us or Busses (bow wave) I guess you call it to disrupt my driving. At times the only thing that bothers me might be crosswinds which effect any motorhome, I don't care what brand it is.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Are there any years or models to avoid?
I would avoid anything (chassis, make and/or model) that has not been driven on a regular basis and for which they cannot provide complete service records. On our 06' W-22, we just had the brake recall completed at just under 48,000 miles, pads were worn evenly down to about 50%, rotors and abs sensors were all good. We just paid for new pads and are good to go for the next 75k miles or so. Happy travels,

Bob
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are now on our second Workhorse chassis. Traded in the 05 P32 for an 09 W22 when we decided to go full time. Test drive a Ford and then the Workhorse and judge the ride and handling for yourself. I am also biased because I am a member of the Workhorse Chassis Forum.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I own a workhorse and I sure would not have another one.
They don't even make a full size, because GM quick makine the 8.1 engine
Do a workhorse search, and you still buy one, you deserve what you get
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
I don't work at Work Horse. Drive any used Class A gas MH on a Ford Chassis, and then drive one on a WorkHorse. If you don't find the WorkHorse rides and handles better. I will eat my hat...Oh wait...I don't own a hat...
Start eating. My '99 Winnebago on a Ford chasis rode a whole lot better than my 2005 WH chasis. I love my '05 motorhome but sure wold like to have it on my old Ford chasis.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #22

The original poster stated that he noted that used Work Horse chassis coaches appeared to be selling for less than comparable coaches. He didn’t ask about how this one or that one had preformed over the years. He was asking if the reputation from their long fight against the recall, their 2 year saga of getting a replacement, and horrible customer service had resulted in bad trade in values. The fact that he as well as many others have noticed it in my mind makes it true. I am a victim of it myself as I have one. The fact that they are out of the gasser engine business, now makes them an orphan coach. People can believe anything they want, but in my opinion they have their head in the sand or some other dark place. Doesn’t matter if the reputation is true or not, resale value is based upon what people think. If people think there is a problem, they won’t buy them and the value goes down. It is already happening. The only way to deal with it sell at a loss or keep it for a very long time. I don’t mind being called a Work Horse naysayer, so you guys shouldn’t mind being called a Work Horse shill.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 55,000 miles on my W22 and am very happy with it. I love the Allison transmission. I have not had any brake problems but did have the recall completed. I paid for new pads and I am good to go. I want to purchase a newer W24 while I can still get a 8.1 engine.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re: “The fact that they are out of the gasser engine business, now makes them an orphan coach…”
FWIW: The OP is not even looking at a “NEW” coach or one under WH warranty! These engines are the best big blocks out there. Repairable practically anywhere, anytime and parts will be available till we all die of old age. No problems whatsoever with this engine. I Challenge anyone to prove otherwise. The key issue is with the overall WH reputation perceived.

BTW: Granted, WH bashers have a private axe-to-grind due to their own particular cost outlay /inconveniences; when you get to that point there’s little anyone can say to alter opinion. Additional contribution via Owner ignorance, unauthorized repairs, lack of documentation, etc., have contributed to this sour-taste for a sizeable number of owners. You need to put this into perspective:

Out of 50,000 units approx. half are now cleared of this brake campaign. Out of this, a huge percentage have not had any lockup problems whatsoever (and gladly got a brake inspection for free). I warrant another 20,000 haven’t even heard of a brake issue. The bottom line is that the few Owners with issues have made it known on many forums; the long wait for resolution gave more, supposed, credibility to this being a huge (quantity) number motorhomes affected.

But, You hear very little from the 95% of brake problem-free owners because it’s not in our nature to boast unnecessarily about our satisfaction with performance as we expected in the first place. It’s just not done. The name bashing crowd will get the attention.

If people are now apprehensive of WH quality, then it’s a buyer’s market for good deals to be had. If your future resell value has you worried, then you’ve not been observant of the long term. In several years time, this will be a faint memory and today’s customarily depreciation rates will be literally unchanged.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #25

The 52,000 units were only the ones after the magic governmental decided date. We have heard from other owner who have had the same problem and had to have their brakes repaired and denied WH compensation as they were broken too early. Glad to hear you admit that their bad reputation is a short term problem. That's a good start for you. You now need to work on that attitude that it's all the owners fault next.
I am now off to take my coach on a week or so trip South. Go ahead and bash away.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I chose my “wording” carefully. Nowhere did I imply it’s “all” the Owner’s fault. You read into it what you expected to hear.

Surely, the Navistar certified repair reports have a tally of the stuck calipers vs. the number of perfectly normal brakes that have been inspected to date. We will one day find the hully bahoo was, simply, reliant upon, perhaps, one key factor like: say, a long lay-up of time when coaches were not on-the-road and driven. These Bosch calipers are on Federal Express, UPS, etc, delivery, bakery trucks (driven daily) without any problem whatsoever. And these numbers are not quoted anywhere in the RV forums. Again, I am not saying “All” are due to owner fault long-term storage of motorhomes. Just that the “identical” Bosch brake calipers under different type vehicle installation, are not subjected to this campaign.

This is not bashing…It’s a colorful exchange/ disagreement . I’m simply speaking the obvious reply to the OP’s post, (for example) : If 200 Trillion sharks swim the ocean, it’s the handful that attack people that garner the press’ attention. Succinctly put.

Come on down Southward. You can expect good weather. We’re enjoying a 7-day outlook of 70+ degrees w/o any rain in the forcast. Spring appears to be close at hand.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another installment in the continuing saga of the irrational.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Addressing the OP's question. I would not hestitate to buy a Workhorse chassis coach. Make sure the recall has either been done or make it a condition of the sale. Don't be a Lemming like some. People's perceptions are frankly not always based on good information, but more often on hearsay and are reactionary. As suggested, drive examples of the chassis you are interested in and draw your own conclusions. I tried the Ford against the WorkHorse and found it lacking for my tastes. I was completely unfamiliar with either at that point. Your mileage may vary.

Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote