Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Au contraire, tis’ a rational discussion; but merely a difference of opinion.

Factual, as it relates to the Workhorse Platform: The OP does not know that this campaign only relates to the W20, W21 or W22 chassis.[ built from July 24, 2000 through December 19, 2007. inclusive]...however, the following Workhorse Models: W24, W25.5, W16, W18, W62, W42, UFO, R26 chassis' are NOT involved in this campaign.

Further is the fact that the questioned Bosch 2 X 66 mm brake caliper assembly is in widespread use, far and beyond that of Workhorse manufacture. Bosch systems are used worldwide on a variety of manufactured vehicles. Hundreds-of-thousands of semi trucks are currently using this same brakes without issue.. Of course these rigs are on the road at least 3 days a week, thousands of miles. However they have not exhibited any problems since their introduction and none are expected. These vehicles possibly may never fall into a recall campaign.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was intended as an observation of those that continually bash Workhorse and not as an indictment of the discussion.
Then there are those that also blamed Ford for the failures of Firestone tires. Just doesn't sound very rational to me.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the W 24, Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38-P, Whatever you buy make sure it doesn't have a vacuum toilet!!!!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The 52,000 units were only the ones after the magic governmental decided date.......... Go ahead and bash away.
Lindsay Richards: I hope you will agree it is not "bashing" when I make this post solely to refute your incorrect statement. Your statment I've quoted (above) is simply not correct.

The correct fact is that EVERY Workhorse RV chassis EVER BUILT with the Bosch 66mm calipers was included in the recall. There was no "magic date" that excluded ANY units from the recall. Ed
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my travels I have found that the only company who makes motor homes which does not have "Issues" with the chassis is... There is not any.... Every company has issues from time to time.

The main issue with Workhorse is this: When it looked like there MIGHT be an issue.. Rather than cover it up like so many companies have done they turned it over to the NHTSA and said very little about it.

And when NHTSA decided that there was indeed an issue.. turns out it was not Workhorse, but one of their suppliers who was at fault.. So they went after the supplier.. .Who did the common thing and stalled like you would not believe.

Catch is... Several companies use that supplier.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #34

Don't work for Workhorse and I have owned motorhomes with both Workhorse and Ford chassis. I would buy a Workhorse chassis over a Ford every time.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #35

Long layups are not regular in the bread delivery business, but are very, very common in the RV business. Here in my state (Florida) we have thousands and thousands of snowbirds that come every winter and leave their motor homes stationary for months at a time. Many even connect up to sunrooms and such. These long storages happen all over AMERICA. Looks like the other chassis makers must have taken this into consideration ad they don’t have the problems. You also remember that WH and their engineers fought and denied the problem for 2 years allowing folks to continue to drive everywhere (including mountains) during this time period. Oh, I forgot, they still are. I might add in my case, WH factory viewed 6 photographs of the front brakes and said they were fine. The great dealer who had personally installed 46 calipers before me, said, he thought the front brakes should be installed, but that WH had denied the claim and said they were perfect.). I went with the maker as I as many others have been “had” by dealers before. 2 weeks and 800 miles later I almost went off the side of a mountain with my family. (hardly a hully bahoo as you say), but I guess we all define safety in different ways. I posted my results on this forum and wrote up a great dealer report at the request of one of the shills and never revived any warning about driving with the defective front brakes in harsh conditions. Happy Trails.

When counting up those trillions of sharks, be sure to include all the guys who had problems prior to the magic government imposed date and were denied help and have been talked so nasty too by the famous “lady” at WH Recall center who’s 5 letter nick name isn’t allowed on this forum. I wonder how you guys defend this horrible attitude about customer service. A pleasant voice and customer attention would have gone a long way toward calming me, but the nastiness continues. I still can’t get over how they denied the $3.75 toll charge. Are they completely ignorant of customer service or what?

By the way, I do live South. I am just going further South and had a wonderful water front lot at Wal-Mart last night. It was buy the retention pond and the birds in it this morning were great.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any particular reason why you did not post the pictures here way back when and get some other opinions besides that of the dealer you did not trust and Workhorse?
Quote:
WH factory viewed 6 photographs of the front brakes and said they were fine.
Do you still have those pictures that you could post now?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #37

I wish I had the photos. They were digital and emailed to WH which is the standard practice. He had the back and front on separate pages and went over all of them with me. I asked if I could have them and he said no. I didn't make a deal out of it as I had no idea how WH was (I had gotten all my information from this forum.) If I remember right, there were one each of the pads which I had him replace as long as he was in there. Little did I know getting in there was going to be a regular thing. The dealer was very good and has about 70 bays. Usually do work on many FL tour buses. Bottom line was he said he would replace them and WH said I'd have to pay. The recalled with new design brakes was said to be coming real soon, so I believed WH and rosy advise on this forum. Big error on my part. Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one.

Note to shill, this like most posts was in direct response to a question to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got to admit I did not think of the dealership as having taken the pictures instead of you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #39

It was my understanding that in order to have WH pay for replacement of broken, old calipers with replacement old design calipers, these photos were required by WH to pay. I was told they had by regulation 48 hours to review the photos before deciding to pay (This meant I had to spend my own money for a motel one of the 3 nights my coach was at the second dealer in his bays and it was against his insurance not to allow customers to stay there. I fully understand even thought I had stayed at the bays at Lazy Days 6 days. They took the full allowed time to decide from the photos and denied the motel bill. The brakes were obviously defective and leaking onto the roadway, but they did the min allowed to comply with the law. Customer service was not involved. The tec told me immediately what would be needed as he had done nothing but replace broken old design brakes with unbroken old design brakes for some time. (This was before new design was available for us, but word was they were coming soon.) This is how it worked for us regular guys. I am unsure how it worked for the “special” ones.

It is also my understanding that when you got your working old design brakes replaced with the new design, everybody just got in line and if you were on the list, it was done. No reason for photos. I had no problems at this stage. All my problems occurred when getting defective and broken brakes (twice) with defective, but not broken brakes. If I had the photos take 800 miles before my mountainside accident now, everything would be different. I think the photos would be a liability.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
I can say that we must have been lucky and our dealer was a dream to work with and as a they are a authorized workhorse service center the 3 times we had our 03 Bounder on the W22 took one day each time. First they did one side, then next trip one more failed and then they issued the recall and they did all 4 again. The first time we took it in the dealer said they weren't sure if workhorse would cover but had it approved by their rep the same day.

Tracy
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
I can say that we must have been lucky and our dealer was a dream to work with and as a they are a authorized workhorse service center the 3 times we had our 03 Bounder on the W22 took one day each time. First they did one side, then next trip one more failed and then they issued the recall and they did all 4 again. The first time we took it in the dealer said they weren't sure if workhorse would cover but had it approved by their rep the same day.

Tracy
Now you are one of us "special " ones. Had the same excelent service both times myself. Harold
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #42

I had great service from my 3 visits to WH dealers. The "special" I was referring to wasn't the dealer, but it does make a good story for the guys I guess; true or not.

The magic date was when they started paying for the coaches who had old design brakes fail and replace them themselves. WH denied them payment for the pre date replacements (several thousand bucks), but they were eligible for the recall to get new design brakes. Big difference from what you said. These guys are out the cash because there brakes failed before the date. They got the new design, but had to pay for their old design brake replacement. Several have posted here and I believe this is how the government got involved in the 2 year battle to get the recall. Others who were involved will know more. I think it is morally wrong and a bad business decision to make somebody pay for brakes that were later proved to be defective and paid for past a certain date.