Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Workhorse chassies

while browsing used class A's recently ive noticed alot of what appears to be good deals on some, mostly the WH models. So upon reading on this forum Ive learned there have been some issues with motorhomes built on the WH. My question is, should I steer clear of them, are they alot of trouble ? is it overhyped? are the current WH owners pleased or dissatisfied? Are the Fords better ? thanks, john
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
while browsing used class A's recently ive noticed alot of what appears to be good deals on some, mostly the WH models. So upon reading on this forum Ive learned there have been some issues with motorhomes built on the WH. My question is, should I steer clear of them, are they alot of trouble ? is it overhyped? are the current WH owners pleased or dissatisfied? Are the Fords better ? thanks, john
WH is one of the best gas chassis you could find. Couple that with the Allison Transmission and you have a real nice package. Very happy with mine. Brake recall information can be found in this website. Search Recall.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All the bad talk about WH chassis is just a bunch of crap. Theyhad a problem with the brakes which were not manufactured by WH. I love my Allegro Bay on a w22 chassis. I think it is the best riding mh I have ever had.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 Winnie has the Workhorse chassis and I had 36,000 mioles on it and never had any brake issues. Over all it is a great package. The Allison tranny is second to none. The 8.1 is the next best thing to a diesel IMHO.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DITTO all of the above.

I love my 02.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6

Are there any years or models to avoid?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can find a MH on the Workhorse UFO chassis, give it a test ride. I think you will be truly impressed.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any chassis over a late 04 will have Blistien shocks and the 2 1/2 " toque bar on front end.
If its a use coach the owner may have added other options also.
There is a brake recall that will give you a new brake system its something to bring up with the seller of coach your interested in.
I have the W-22 and it drives excellently with the Allison trans.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #9

How about length ? Do the longer mh's have more sway issues ?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Are there any years or models to avoid?
Not ot avoid, but to look for - a motorhome on a W24 chassis. The W24 uses different brakes so you will avoid the brake problems. We love our W24.

I believe the UFO suggested by wthomas1 uses different brakes as well. I test drove a motorhome on a UFO chassis a couple of years ago, and the handling was amazing. The only problem is there weren't many motorhomes built on the UFO.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We just bought our 2008-2009 Gulf Stream Crescendo C40K. It is on a Workhorse, we traded a 2003 Bounder also on a Workhorse chassis.
The ride and handling are great. Would not trade it. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
while browsing used class A's recently ive noticed alot of what appears to be good deals on some, mostly the WH models. So upon reading on this forum Ive learned there have been some issues with motorhomes built on the WH.
Coincidence? Some swear this isn’t happening, but unfortunately it is. I have one. The word is out there and try as they might, you can not put the spilled milk back in the glass. Notice the folks saying it isn’t happening are mainly members of the Work Horse Chassis forum and some evidently work for Work Horse at show. Check around with dealers before you make any decisions. The recession has made a lot of deals out there. Best deals from individuals.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Coincidence? Some swear this isn’t happening, but unfortunately it is. I have one. The word is out there and try as they might, you can not put the spilled milk back in the glass. Notice the folks saying it isn’t happening are mainly members of the Work Horse Chassis forum and some evidently work for Work Horse at show. Check around with dealers before you make any decisions. The recession has made a lot of deals out there. Best deals from individuals.
I don't work at Work Horse. Drive any used Class A gas MH on a Ford Chassis, and then drive one on a WorkHorse. If you don't find the WorkHorse rides and handles better. I will eat my hat...Oh wait...I don't own a hat...
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Dixieray53 hit the nail on the head. Go drive a few different models and make your own decision.
As of today I've put 55,555 miles on my W22 and would buy another if something happened to this one. Mine is 37' 11" and it handles quite well. Trucks passing do not cause any sway at all.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote