Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #15

More fantastically helpful responses! Thank you all so much! I am currently running the Michelin XRV's on my Class C, and love them. Had three Brigstone blowouts on one trip, and replaced them all with the XRV's. I picked up one of each brand tire while they were dismounted, and could not believe how much the XRV's weighed than the Brigstones, and both had the same weight rating.
I have two "newbee to forums" questions: What does it mean to DB someone, and what do the letters DW stand for (when referring to your "co-pilot")? Since I assume the writers who use the "DW" are men, presumably referring to their wives, the only definition I could come up with was "Dish Washer", and I KNOW that can't be correct ;-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #16

Hey Gary, DW on this forum means dear wife, darling wife, not sure about dish washer! That would not fly in my house!!
Did you mean PM someone? That's private message. I thought if you wanted more info on why I did what I did you could send me an email and that we we could discuss without boring everybody on this thread.
Tom

Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #17

Darned witch.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two or three recalls on Workhorse at least 2005.. Run the vin to make sure they have been satisfied.. other than that, Steering stablizer and trac bars.. no recommendations. One well built chassis.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #19

More great Info.! I am aware that a website exists upon which you can enter your vehicle's VIN and obtain any recall info. Does anyone have the identity of that website?

DW - Dear Wife. I've been married (to the same woman) for 47 years, this month. Dear Wife works great for me. PM too. Thanks for the education!
Gary
Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've put 80,000 miles on my W22 over the past 10 years. We've gone coast to coast several times and I do a lot of mountain driving here in the west during very hot weather.

Mine is stock and I get 7.1 mpg on average pulling a 4,000 lb toad. I don't think you need to "Chip" it. It does fine just as it is.

I suggest a new idler tensioner and serpentine belt along with new hoses, upper and lower.

Clean the MAF sensor, replace the spark plugs and wires with OEM parts.

I have not modified the original suspension and it handles great, no sway when trucks pass, etc.

I use Michelin XRV 22.5 tires and set them to Michelin's recommended pressure...90lb all the way around. Your's may be different based on weights.

Once a year I add 5 cans of Seafoam to the gas before a long trip. During that trip I run the generator so it gets cleaned out too.

I would suggest driving it for a few thousand miles before you pour any money into it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
More great Info.! I am aware that a website exists upon which you can enter your vehicle's VIN and obtain any recall info. Does anyone have the identity of that website?

DW - Dear Wife. I've been married (to the same woman) for 47 years, this month. Dear Wife works great for me. PM too. Thanks for the education!

Gary

I think the website is safecar.gov or something like that. If you want the build sheet for your specific Wcc chassis, post the last 8 digits ONLY of the vin# and I'll get it for you. Ed.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #22

Arch and Ed, thank you for your responses. They raised some more questions:
Arch: 1. What, and where, is the MAF sensor, and what does it do?
2. What size of Michelin XRV tire did you go to, and are you satisfied
with the larger/smaller diameter, or do you wish you had gone the
other direction, and why?

Ed: The last eight numbers of my VIN are: 73421659
PS: That is one good lookin' pooch!

Many thanks to both you you gentlemen! I sure hope I cross paths someday with each of you - and all the previous responders!
Gary
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That Vin is for a 2007 W-22. The ONLY recall was for the Bosch Brakes and it has been completed. If you want the entire build sheet, I can attach it to a reply to an email sent to edgray1@gmail.com .

May I suggest you also visit the Workhorse forum here on iRV2 and consider joining the FMCA Chapter for WCC owners HERE: www.workhorseclub.com
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
Arch and Ed, thank you for your responses. They raised some more questions:
Arch: 1. What, and where, is the MAF sensor, and what does it do?
2. What size of Michelin XRV tire did you go to, and are you satisfied
with the larger/smaller diameter, or do you wish you had gone the
other direction, and why?

Ed: The last eight numbers of my VIN are: 73421659
PS: That is one good lookin' pooch!

Many thanks to both you you gentlemen! I sure hope I cross paths someday with each of you - and all the previous responders!
Gary
The Mass Air Flow Sensor measures the amount of air entering the engine. Based on that the computer decides how much fuel to supply. If it gets dirty it causes problems because the air to fuel mixture is not correct.

It is located by the passenger front tire which is where your air filter is located. If you remove the air cleaner you can almost stick your hand in there and touch it. The sensor has wires coming out of it.

My Coach came with the Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5 tire on it and I stayed with those when I replaced them a couple years ago. I prefer 22.5 inch tires over 19.5 tires as I believe they ride better.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #25

Good luck with your choice . I love when people chime in that their gas motorhome passes diesel motorhomes even up 6-7% grades. Where you in the other motorhome to know if the accelerator was depressed all the way. I passed a Ferrari going up a 6-7% grade in my diesel , not sure what that proves. Just saying.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its been proven over and over that the "stock" wires & plugs become trash in a few thousand miles. Heavier wires with heat shields make the rig much nicer to drive. THe UP flash even more so. Headers, cold air, 180 degree thermostat, coolant change, etc. All nice complimentary mods that really add mpg and usability. THe motor doesnt make much power over 4300 rpm... so keep that in mind.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Its been proven over and over that the "stock" wires & plugs become trash in a few thousand miles. Heavier wires with heat shields make the rig much nicer to drive. THe UP flash even more so. Headers, cold air, 180 degree thermostat, coolant change, etc. All nice complimentary mods that really add mpg and usability. THe motor doesnt make much power over 4300 rpm... so keep that in mind.
My stock wires and plugs made it 50,000 miles. I don't know where you are getting your information but it's wrong.

50,000 miles is more than a few.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 2003 W-22 was running fine when OEMY replaced the original plugs and wires at around 70,000 miles. The pictures on his website are of my "worn out" plugs that were still doing their job.

These newer iridium plugs last even longer......
Ed

Tags
chassis, gas, workhorse