Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #1

I experienced a unusaul situation this morning, the shiftlever would not come out of park, after rocking the tilt column, it finally came out of park, anyone else experience this?

Les

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #2

I experienced a unusaul situation this morning, the shiftlever would not come out of park, after rocking the tilt column, it finally came out of park, anyone else experience this?

Les

Old 04-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've linked your post to the WCMC forum below in the owner's corner, where you will get more exposure. ED
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The most severe problem begins along the path of resolution with this statement, "What's your year, make and model?"

We'll see if some folks that own a rig like yours will respond other wise we'll have something to go on when we research this problem. Perhaps we can come up with something for you.

Welcome and thanks for the question.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #5

Sometimes mine is hard to get out of park the first time. What I do is push the gearshift forward, & then out of park. Works for me.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Need to have your foot on the brake - there's a mechanical interlock to the shifter to prevent shifting out of park without your foot on the brake. It may be that the mechanism is slightly out of adjustment and wiggling the column "fixed" it.

Quite a few WH owners report occasionaly problem of this sort and there are a couple of things to rty. One is pushing the lever firmly forward to seat it in the park lock and then pull back again to unlatch. Another is to press the brake down firmly. A coupe times I've had to raise the rear end on the jacks and let it down again - I think there may have been enough pressure against the park gear pawl to make it hard to get out of park.

A search of the Workhorse onwers section here should turn up quite a few messages on "Park"
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #7

Thanks to all, I will keep all of these suggestions in mind, I did keep my foot on the brake, in the process of trying to release the brake, as I believe this is required, this unit has become a real piece of intestinal fortitude, and with the numerous problems that we have encountered, since buying new (#3), we are at the point we would buy the old Cambria Fleetwood back in a heart-beat. By the way, this is a 3650 Landau by Georgie Boy, W22 model, and I understand Coachman Industries have acquired, we have encountered a lot of songs and dances from the factory folks in Indiana, Thanks again.....
Old 04-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #8

Sorry, I left out that it is a 2005, with 3100 miles....
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse claims no problem, but I've had it happen 7 or 8 times. Solution is simple, but a pain in the butt.

Lay on the floor, and depress the brake peddle with your hand. Just back (TOWARDS the driver) is a light gray brake light switch. The plunger, which hits against the brake peddle arm sticks. With the peddle down, you can push the spring loaded plunger in and out a couple times, then it will come out of park.

I've taken our coach to Workhorse and of course it does not happen there, so they say there is nothing wrong.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #10

Once again, thanks too all for there suggestions, I have written all of the responses down for future reference....

Les Lloyd
Old 04-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Foot on brake pedal lift gear shift handle towards you should disingage from park than slip into drive. Just the reverse to go in park lift out OF drive towards you and slip over to park. DONE "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Les & Doris:
I experienced a unusaul situation this morning, the shiftlever would not come out of park, after rocking the tilt column, it finally came out of park, anyone else experience this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This problem has been worked elsewhere on the forum, I believe.

Anyway, I had the same problem. Many readers suggested various solutions, but none hit on the correct one.

In my case it was the brake light switch. No matter how hard I pushed the brake pedal, the switch would not totally disengage. That kept the transmission locked in park.

It's a matter of readjusting the switch (it might take two people and various body contortions to do that!) so that the plunger pops out all the way when you push the brake pedal, and returns sufficiently to turn off the brake lights when you release the pedal.

The switch is round, and perhaps 2" long. It has a nylon (or plastic) threaded body that extends through a hole in a metal bracket mounted just above the brake pedal.

The switch is supposed to be threaded through the hole so that the plunger properly pops in and out when the pedal is applied. I think there should be keeper nuts on the switch (one on each side of the metal bracket), but the WH dealers told me 'no.'

However, we all know what happens! Whoever makes that assembly at WH just pushes the switch into the bracket resulting in damage to the threaded plastic body of the switch. Vibration and use causes the switch to eventually get out of proper position.

My solution was to buy the proper sized plastic nuts and place them on the switch body; one before it goes into the metal bracket, and the other after to hold it in place.

Good luck!