Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
KC

I have owned a Ford with the 4 speed auto and a new 04 Pickup with the Torque Shift Auto and there is no comparison between the two. We have a W22 in our new Gulf Stream. The allison works well. And as stated I have not heard of any major problems with this set up.

KC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I now have to chose between the F53 or W22. The one drawback for the W22 is it's a heavier chassis, and will lower my carrying capacity by about 400 lb. Since I'm looking at a triple slide 37 footer, both 22,000 lbs. chassis are near their limits, 19040 lbs dry weight on a Ford, so the F53 may win out by the time fuel, water and cargo are added in.

Sorry, DriVer may go FORD

MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #17

Mike T, is you RV Choice avaliable on the Workhorse W24 chassis. This would keep you choice from setting at the limit of the chassis. It would also prove to be a safer platform for a triple slide unit.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike T (miket):
The one drawback for the W22 is it's a heavier chassis, and will lower my carrying capacity by about 400 lb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>For that very reason alone I would rather have the W22 at marginal limits because the redundancy of the rail is far superior to the F53. The axle rating are also better on the W22 and you can't get any better than the industry standard Allison 5 speed automatic transmission.

WCC supplies 90% of the class 6 chassis that manufacturers chose to build 35 foot long or better gas powered motorhomes on.

Regardless of the load, given the same 37 foot motorhome, I would choose the W22 time and time again not because of my preference for WCC products but because WCC is the best proven solution for a 37 foot motorhome.

Don't worry so much about the dry weights, I would be more concerned as to how the motorhome behaved when it's fully loaded.

Now on the other hand if you see a particular 37 foot motorhome that fits your lifestyle, I say "Go for it!"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
DriVer, everytime I get behind the wheel of our W24 chassis I can't believe the improvement over the W22. So when do you trade?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
DriVer, everytime I get behind the wheel of our W24 chassis I can't believe the improvement over the W22. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>derF, I can't believe the improvement either. I took a ride & drive in a 2005 Dolphin LX, 6375 almost like yours no doubt and for once I thought that this motorhome didn't need any modifications. It was just about as perfect as a gas motorhome chassis gets.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only choice is W22 or F53. If I lose some weight, the W22 works fine ---

Really leaning to the W22 -- although it's an extra 4,500.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike T (miket):
If I lose some weight, the W22 works fine --- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well .... IF you leave Tuxie home, you'll be all set!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tuxie and his litter box --

Fairly sure it'll be the W22
Old 03-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #24

TacBear,

All 3 are good chassis. You indicated that you were looking at a Coachman and a National motorhome, however, you did not indicate the length or models. Both of these manufactures build a model on all 3 chassis. The chassis is selected based on cost and weight, with the ford being less expensive. The allison transmission is great, but whines a little, the ford 4 speed is not as smooth. If you look at a National Sea Breeze on the Ford or the LX on the W22 you will find they both have pass through storage. Do not know if it is important, but the W22 unit (either manufacturer) will be 3" higher. Good luck and hapy RVing.

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Wade & Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a