Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #1

We are looking for another motorhome and I am really a "Ford Man", but I here alot about the "Workhorse" having alot of power and being better than the Ford chassis. We have our choices narrowed down between a Coachman V 10 and a National 8L "Workhorse". I know two people that have had their Allison Transmission on their HD Chevy Truck's catch fire and that is basically the same set up as the "Workhorse" chassis. Tell me which is best the Ford or the Chevy??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #2

We are looking for another motorhome and I am really a "Ford Man", but I here alot about the "Workhorse" having alot of power and being better than the Ford chassis. We have our choices narrowed down between a Coachman V 10 and a National 8L "Workhorse". I know two people that have had their Allison Transmission on their HD Chevy Truck's catch fire and that is basically the same set up as the "Workhorse" chassis. Tell me which is best the Ford or the Chevy??

Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #3

Have yet to read any negative post about Allison transmissions in motorhomes. RE chasis. the 8.1 has more power, quiter and the doghouse is lower.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #4

I've had no problems with 2 fords. Thats low mileage on the moho. Would need to get a mechanic you trust and check it out. Think a generator with only 90 hours on it would give you more problems than the motorhome.
Joe
An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #5

That is actually my Sig, we are looking at a newer Motorhome.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
tacbear,
Only you can decide which is best, and thats done by driving them. The 8.1 with the allison is touted quite heavily on this board, I drove both in 01, & bought the F-53 cause it handled much better, ride is a little bit harsher but the WH chassis (20,500 lb) was all over the road on two lane highways. The Wh has 10% better HP & torque, which I liked but couldn't live with the bouncing from right to left. Again you pays your money and takes your choice.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #7

tacbear:

To make an intelligent decision you should drive both platforms. And I don't mean just around the block. Take them out on the highway and pull some hills. In July '03 wife and I chose a '03 Itasca Suncrusier 33V. I really wanted the WH but figured I'd better give both a test drive. I had the same experience that Fred B. had. The WH steering was way too senistive for our liking..it wandered too much for our liking. Plus the unit we test drove had some kind of mechanical problem...it wouldn't go over 5 to 10 mph for the first part of our test. The poor handling and engine/fuel(??) problem scared us off. We went with the Ford and after 14,000 miles are quite happy with it, even after having a radiator hose clamp failure.

Best

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The "Jury" is out!

The best driving, riding, performing, steering (cut), braking, weight carrying or any other attribute that can be attested to a gas powered chassis is now and forever shall be firmly reside in the Workhorse camp.

This week my previously missed opportunity to test drive the W24 was fulfilled way beyond my expectations. The motorhome that we, Hitchhiker and I, drove was a 2005 National Dolphin LX. I am completely amazed at the performance of the new W24.

I took the motorhome for a short drive on city streets and transitioned to the I-4 out to the Lazy Days exit and turned around at the Rally Park. The engine responds exactly as expected and the transmission shifted as smoothly as the T1000 in my W22.

The most noticeable and appreciated improvement was the ride quality. There was no inherent or latent yaw, roll, or pitch in the chassis as it was delivered "box stock" from Workhorse and National. In my after test drive questionnaire that I completed about the Ride & Drive I commented that the W24 chassis was excellently behaved. All modes of travel in my opinion exhibited a new performance level that did not warrant any suspension modifications to improve the ride performance of the motorhome.

The braking action was flawless. The push button shifter operation is something to be experienced in person, very cool. Workhorse has certainly raised the bar in gas powered motorhome performance with the new W24 that I seriously doubt any competitor will come close to matching any time soon.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have owned three Ford F-53-V10's since 97, in 03 I purchased a Newmar KS-3740, I thought the Fords were the best, after installing Banks an Trans-command on them, but the Workhorse W-22 I have now can't compare with all the Fords I had,sorry. Only you can make the "BIG" decision,you should drive the two chassis's, we can give you advise each way, they are both good. You can see after Driver's post all us W-22 owners are now trying to figure out how we can swing a W-24 in our driveway. Its a great competive race between the two Mfg's, all the better for us Rv's. Ford is coming out with a new chassis "05" but I think Workhorse has beat them to it again.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #10

I agree, Workhorse is best, hands down. I owned 99 Georgie Boy on F53, too much engine noise and rough ride. I traded it in on 2002 Gulfstream on W22 chassis, like riding in a Lincoln compared to F53.

Motor Home mag., this issue, reports Ford has increased HP of V10 to 362, quite a jump from my old V10 at 290 HP. Says nothing about improving chassis, ride. I don't care what anyone says the V10 is NOISY.

Mike T.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #11

TacBear, It would appear presently, the Workhorse with the 8.1L engine and allison 5spd tranny has a definite edge over the F53 when it comes to power based on many posts I've read of those who switched from Ford to Workhorse. However, we have a 2000 rig on the Ford chassis and are quite happy with it except for it being somewhat underpowered on steep grades. If you're not in too big a rush to buy, you might want to wait until the 362hp V-10 with the torqueshift 5spd tranny hits the market then take an extensive test drive of both platforms before making a final decision. If we purchase another gas rig, we're certainly going to check out both platforms thoroughly before making our final choice.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I thnk the new F53 with 5-speed auto and the improved V10 is a great combination, more or less equal to the 8.1 & Allison on the Workhorse. But drive train isn't everything. The WH chassis is designed to allow huge storage bays without intererence from the frame rails, a very low "doghouse", and very high structural rigidity. I don't know if Ford has improved in those areas or not since we bought our rig in 2002, but back then the F53 physical chassis design fell way short of the WH.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #13

In the "whatever it's worth" department....I have an '03 Allegro on a W20 chassis and for the first few thousand miles I put on it I felt that it wandered alot and required careful steering so as not to overcorrect when counter-steering for a wander off. Turns out I was over-inflating my tires by close to 15 psi more than really needed, when I set the pressure per the weight charts, the wandering went away. Those demo models may have had very "hard" tires which will definetly effect the handling.
lhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #14

Here's my 3 cents worth
We had a 1999 35 foot Holiday Rambler Vacationer on the Ford V-10 frame with alum sides and roof with one slide. The MH moved a lot on the road until I installed Steer Safe. After that, it drove quite well. The MH got between 8 to 9 mpg towing a Malibu. When we swiched to a Honda CRV allwheel drive toad, it dropped the milage down to 8 to 8.5 mpg.
We purchased a 2004 36 foot HR Vacationer with the 8.1L W-22 with two slides and fiberglass sides with alum roof (much prefer alum sides). I installed a new Steer Safe and it did not make much difference. It still wonders. But I have not weighed it yet, so I put max lbs of air in tires 108lbs. I'm thinking the last post may define my problem of wonder about over pressure. I plan to get it weighed in Perry at the FMCA conv in March. My gas milage towing the Honda CRV is between 7.5 and 8.0 gpm on the new MH. I was under the impression that the workhorse was supposed to get better milage??. The W-22 Allison xmission is much louder than the Ford and it does not shift as smoothly as the Ford did. Although it seems to have much more pep, but have not been in the mts yet. I have less storage in the new MH ( could be because we have two slides and two bathrooms. Overall, I can't say one was any better than the other. The Ford with 19 inch tires, I carried a spare. With the W-22, there is no place for a spare tire. (a bummer--so I put just the tire, no rim in the back of our CRV.) The Ford had a very loud cooling fan which sounded like the engine shiftted to a low gear at high speed that was very annoying when the engine got hot. s/Toby

Tags
class a