Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #15

I would suggest avoiding anything with a 1999 or 2000 Ford Triton V-10 engine. Ours blew out a spark plug at 50,000 miles, and my research (after the fact), seems to indicate those two years were problematic.
ranchgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #16

I have a W20. Parts and service are no problem. The Cummins dealer near my home services Workhorse, as well as Onan generators (if needed). I prefer the Allison Transmission, but both drivetrains work well. Look for the floor plan you like at the price you want
Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #17

You have to be the judge!!

I have owned both, the newer Fords are better, but I now own a WH W-22 and it drives and handles much better than the Ford. The WH is also much quieter on the road (one of the first things my wife commented on). I got a little better mileage with the Ford (full Banks system) but have better power and much better shift patterns with the Allison tranny and the 8.1. To each their own.

04 Southwind 37C
Firecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #18

We have a Workhorse chassis and have had no problems with it at all. Engine and tranny work well and we maintain it on a regular basis. Problems we have had are related to awnings and plumbing issues but the coach is 7 years old so we expect minor issues.
From what I have been told the Ford chassis that are gas are just powerless for hills etc. Ours is a GM 8.1 gas and it has plenty of power.
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you get a Ford, get a newer one that has the 362 hp 3 valve engine and the newer 5 speed tranny.

Quote:
I also have a W20D chassis. There was a Brake recall which was handled. Other than that no problems. Rush Trucks handles my service and have no problem getting parts. The MH does not require the diesel additive and gets 11/12 mpg towing a CRv. I would say that is great.
11/12 mpg, really? Multi tank average?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
I also have a W20D chassis. There was a Brake recall which was handled. Other than that no problems. Rush Trucks handles my service and have no problem getting parts. The MH does not require the diesel additive and gets 11/12 mpg towing a CRv. I would say that is great.
Dennis
Dennis...if you are in Salt Lake City don't bother to go to Rush Trucks, who is the authorized Workhorse dealer. They said don't work on gas rigs. I pointed out Workhorse had a lot of gas engines....too bad, can't help you.

I found this out in July when I wanted my MAF sensor cleaned. And, to make matters worse, they couldn't recommend a place to get my gas engine worked on.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
I had a 2000 WH and what a problem on 6 wheels.

Front suspension bottomed out on the tiny coil springs.

After the pedal was half way down then you started to stop some what.

The potential PARK BRAKE LOCK UP AT ANY SPEED, it happened to my friend on his WH.

Fuse box location, a nightmare, The newer WH chassis is better.

When I got into my 02 Itasca with the Ford chassis, I was sold.

Exc. brakes, manual park brake, good power, good steering, smooth running engine.

Chassis is also set up much better for maint. and access of the various systems. Also batt. location is great.

It does lean a bit. I'm not in a hurry. I don't go fast around the curve when entering the freeway.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse chassis is on thousands of commercial vehicles. GMC dealers handle the service just fine.

But you are already concerned so don't waste your time on something that you will worry about, buy a Ford.

Hopefully it will provide you with the same uninterrupted service and ease of service I have found with my Workhorse.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had so much trouble with GM in my past life I personally wold never buy another one but then many people have no trouble at all. Ford has created a whole new industry for aftermarket suspension vendors as well. if you are in the state of Washington I believe I have read that Brazels RV in Chehalis or Centralia do extensive work on the WH chassis and have all the latest and greatest fixes for them no matter what the problem is. Might not hurt to call for peace of mind. I have bought a great many suspension parts from them for my Ford and they are good people to work with.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My Ford trucks have been flawless.

My GM vehicles have all been substandard and lots of problems

My WH chassis has been just fine
Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
If you get a Ford, get a newer one that has the 362 hp 3 valve engine and the newer 5 speed tranny.

11/12 mpg, really? Multi tank average?
CJ7ole: Perhaps you missed the "D" in his chassis model. THAT is a "fred" and they almost all get that, or better........or so I've heard......I'm getting about HALF of that moving 28K.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned both and my preferrence is WH. We have a W22 chassis and have what was considered the heaviest gas Class A built and have not had any problems at all. The 8.1/Allison trans combo is a tough one to beat. It's a pleasure to drive and we have ZERO mods of any kind done on the chassis. Why? Because it doesn't need any. If you do decide on the WH if it's a W22 just make sure the brake re-call has been done. I don't think you would be dissapointed. JMHO Good Luck on whatever you decide and enjoy your travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, workhorse