Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I am in the process of buying my first Class A and would like some feedback or advice on which driv
workhorse 75 78.13%
Ford V-10 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #29

Hi Catdave, you're most welcome, I just wish Ford had built the V10 back in 2000 with as much HP and torque as the 8.1 and used the Allison 5spd, instead of the 4spd. I know they now have the 5spd Torqshift (sp?), but I don't think it will be as good as the Allison.

Take care and travel safe, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #30

I do find the comments of the WH zealots rather interesting. Is the WH really THAT good? IMO, NO. Is the Ford really that bad? Again, IMO, NO.

There is a DriVer equivalent on RV.net - Bagman. Chuck swears by the WH and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. In an exchange of emails he stated (with respect to his Allego):

"...when I drove it home, it was all over the road. I've subsequently added Bilstein shocks, Safe-T-Plus steering Satbilizer, a Davis Tru-Trac, and a Henderson rear trac bar. Now she is a great driver and handles very well."

Note the word "NOW" - which clearly means that off the shelf it was NOT. He certainly put in a LOT of $$$ into it (which widens the price gap between the chassis even more). I only had to add a Davis TruTrac to the 2000 F53 I bought used and had for a year (that was the only thing I did to it - no repairs needed - nothing - and I had it for the fourth year of its life [and yes, we do wonder why we traded]). Bagman also added a Banks kit to the 8.1 Vortec, so I guess the horsepower of the 8.1, as good as it may be, still isn't enough for everyone.

What also makes me question the WH is the substantial number of problems that have been reported. Way beyond anything I've seen with the F53.

With respect to GVWR - I have no doubt the W24 was a major consideration for WH - and I'm referring to the federal law I've seen mentioned with respect to the GCWR which WH had to bump beyond the 26,000 lb limit (2000 lbs wouldn't allow for much of a toad). No doubt they just decided to roll with this one and let buyers who live in the few states that require a different license for a GCWR over 26k lbs worry about that issue themselves (if they become aware of it - (same situation for DPs). No doubt I'm not the only one who has often wondered how a chassis line could be produced with has a range wide range of GVWRs and then they all have the same GCWR - and I think this all ties to the 26,000 Fed limit (which I take it is ignored by most states when it comes to licensing drivers??).

Sure WH had to make big improvements to what it bought from GM. GM got out because it was not competitive and its volume fell to such trivial numbers that it really couldn't justify staying in the biz.

There have been many comments about how wonderful WH is, but I wonder if it is making any money? It had to put a lot of bucks into its DP chassis yet one rarely sees them. The Presido has it for 2005 but Winnie dropped it as an option (and I recently encountered someone who saw a 2004 Journey with the WH - only one I've heard of). Does WH have a substantial backer who can keep it going if cash flow gets thin? What are warranty costs doing to them as they have to be considerable given the reports we read. Since the company is private, none of these numbers are available.

Service has been hotly debated. I live in a small city of 84,000. I had two Ford authorized RV service dealers to chose from. Neither GM dealer would service WH or the 8.1 in a WH (for most of the past 6 years I've had one vehicle from each of the GM dealers so I know them well). Sure, not all Ford dealers can handle the F53, but just about every Ford truck dealer can help you. GM itself does not provide the warranty on the Vortec 8.1 - that comes from WH, just like GM has to supply the warranty on the Honda engine in the VUE (try taking that to a Honda dealer for warranty work).

The same kine of debate goes on in the DP world - CAT vs Cummins, with the Detroit Diesel guys assuming they are above the discussion. Frankly, I'd buy a coach with a CAT, Cummins or DD - and now Freightliner is offering the Mercedes engine (given they are both DC companies I wonder what took so long - DC also owns DD of course) and that is going to sweeten the mix and give another good choice to buyers.

If I were buying a gas MH would I buy one on a WH chassis or a Ford chassis? Frankly, I'd take one on either chassis if the rest of the MH had what I wanted. With respect to the WH, my hope would be that it has sorted out most of its problems by now.

My .02.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #31
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
"...when I drove it home, it was all over the road. I've subsequently added Bilstein shocks, Safe-T-Plus steering Satbilizer, a Davis Tru-Trac, and a Henderson rear trac bar. Now she is a great driver and handles very well." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This commentary is not at all remarkable since its been experienced and repeated by numerous Workhorse owners of 2001-(early)2004 model year motorhomes. My experience mirrors the above commentary from that owner however we probably did it first here on iRV2.

Quite a few of us have worked through these issues and have chosen to upgrade the performance of our motorhomes for our own benefit. Quite a few WCC owners have not and are satisfied with the performance they receive. There is no set rule that all the modifications listed need to be accomplished in order to have a "great driver"

Workhorse upgraded the W-Series' suspension front anti-roll bar to a 2.5" unit, added 50? steering and installed Bilstein shocks on all four corners. The need for chassis modifications is not as pronounced as it formerly may have been.

My experience while driving a box stock 2005 36 foot W-24 Dolphin LX motorhome left no doubt in my mind that it did not need an entire set of chassis upgrades. It performed fine just the way it was. The push button shifter on a gas chassis? Priceless.

"With respect to the WH, my hope would be that it has sorted out most of its problems by now."

This definitely seems the the case with the new gas suspension.

About the R-Series, there are quite a few Meridian and Journey owners out there. You can immediately tell an R-Series by identifying the Workhorse logo on the hub caps. Early on I have heard where an OEM manufactured a motorhome on an R-Series and when it left the final assembly building it was badged as a Freightliner with a CAT engine.

The reason why OEMs choose the chassis they do is totally an internal decision much for the same reasons that Newmar chose Spartan in lieu of Freightliner for some of their product lines.

Currently Presidio has taken a leading role in using the R-Series raised rail rear cool configuration and the motorhome I understand is doing very well. The Presidio can be obtained for $149,999 with a Cummins ISC 330HP engine, 3000MH transmission and it has a 32,000 GVWR. That's some pretty good numbers in a lot of people's minds and finding an equivalent equipped motorhome identically priced would be difficult to do. The CCC on the 39B Presidio was upward of 5000 pounds.

I have seen a very popular (same class - 39 footer) RDP with a CCC of only 1600 pounds that cost a whole bunch more than the Presidio. The chassis it featured was rated at 27,000 GVWR. The CCC of my gas motorhome is greater than the RDP I am speaking about. I was shocked to see that number and the MSRP of the coach.

Workhorse is definitely a product that is worth considering whether a potential buyer is looking for a gas powered or diesel powered motorhome. Don't miss out on an opportunity to test drive either one.

"Try it you'll like it!"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #32

I voted V10 as that is what is in my new to me 2000 Vision.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been driving our 00' 20,500# v-10 for 3 years, just got back from 4,400 mile trip out west. Had no trouble with Vale & Loveland passes. I really don't know what the big deal is about an increase of 10% in HP & torque. I certainly didn't miss it & the handling of the Ford Chassis is why we chose it. No add-ons & just rock solid handling. The 01 WH 20,500# chassis did not compare in handling. We just added some goodyear G670 rv tires to the front & it improved the slightly stiffer ride quite a bit. We traveled in some pretty heavy winds last month & altho it wasn't a lot of fun, we were able to make tracks every day.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred B.:
The 01 WH 20,500# chassis did not compare in handling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One of these days you should give yourself the opportunity to test drive the new W22 or W24. You will immediately notice the ride improvement and quality of the Workhorse.

Not withstanding the horsepower or torque differences other aspects of the chassis like 4 channel 4 wheel anti lock ABS is not available on any other gas chassis. WCC gives you a 145 amp alternator which I find is important attribute in a motorhome. A 50? wheel cut is important when it comes to cutting into tight places. The frame, axles, gears and everything else about the Workhorse chassis is of benefit to its owner.

One thing that sold my wife on the Workhorse is the practically non existent doghouse. Right now Roxie the Doxie is the most appreciative of the low height profile of the doghouse since she's made that her domain. You know dachshunds, they do do do jumping very well. One thing that cracks me up is when Roxie misses her step and comes crashing into the back of the cup holder BUT she's making that mistake a lot fewer times now because she's developed better timing on her "sorta" jump.

Good luck and continued success with your motorhome. Perhaps we'll meet up at the National Rally.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of these days you should give yourself the opportunity to test drive the new W22 or W24. You will immediately notice the ride improvement and quality of the Workhorse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If'n we ever get tired of this MH & its doubtful if we will, we'll be sure to check out the WH W22 or W24s to see if the handling problems have been eradicated w/o add-ons. I will admit that the flat doghouse was tempting & the sharp turning radius is a real plus but the alternator, engine & transmission aren't really missed.
By the way, excuse my ignorance but what is 4 channel 4 wheel ABS. We've got 4 wheel ABS on the Ford, but am not sure what the 4 channel thing is all about. We sure needed the ABS coming down from Loveland Pass, when someone pulled a Booboo a ways up front (in a snowstorm) & everything came to an abrupt halt. Its the first time the ABS came on in tha last 3 years.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred B.:
By the way, excuse my ignorance but what is 4 channel 4 wheel ABS. We've got 4 wheel ABS on the Ford, but am not sure what the 4 channel thing is all about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>4W4C-ABS means that each tire is actuated independently by the ABS computer. When ABS kicks in on a WCC each tire is braking independently from the other.

The F53 has 4 wheel ABS but only 3 channel. The 2 fronts are independent however the rear brakes are both on a single channel and will work co-jointly.

So there you go!
Old 04-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last weekend, I spent the afternoon almost making a deal with a dealer for a new 37 foot Forest River Georgetown motorhome on a Ford chassis. We asked to take a ride before signing. Before we had moved two coach lengths, the rig rolled side to side excessivly. More road testing showed terrible handling characteristics. We the tried a WH W22 chassis on a 36 foot Safari Simba since they did not have a WH chassis on the Georgetown. The difference was amazing, the WH handled like my "old" P30 with the heavy IPD sway bar, Poly bushing kit on the rear sway bar and Bilsteins. It felt rock solid and safe to drive compared to the Ford. This is my own opinion of what I drove and observed.
I also do not seem to find any changes in the new 2006 Ford chassis frame, although they do claim 4 channel anti lock brakes.
I hope to find a Georgetown on a WH chassis and wil try it against the exact same model on the Ford before I buy. As of now, I prefer the WH over the Ford.

I made the same comparison in 96 with the Storm I bought. Tested both chassis with the same coach, the Ford lost out because of transmission whine I found objectionable, while the rides were very comparable.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:57 AM   #39

Mike I looked at the Georgetown. We were at a FMCA rally here in TN. The sales rep. said Georgetown was going to Ford chassis only. Because they were cheaper. Hope you find what you want.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
The sales rep. said Georgetown was going to Ford chassis only. Because they were cheaper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering two-thirds of all Class A gas motorhomes sold are built on a WH chassis, I'd question the wisdom of that move.

Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #41

Cheaper Chassis. Cheaper MH. Hope they do not cheapen the Box building as some have. Happy with our Adventurer.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #42
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Hope you find what you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike & Mo absolutely love the 37 foot floorplan on the Georgetown. It's the one with 2 bathrooms I believe and if it comes in that length they should be able to get it on a Workhorse but you're probably right about Ford being the only choice on some or most of their models.