Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I am in the process of buying my first Class A and would like some feedback or advice on which driv
workhorse 75 78.13%
Ford V-10 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #43

At work I use Ford F-550's with the V-10 power train. The trucks are loaded up with tools and material right to the GVWR. To me, it seems you have to have your foot into it a lot to get the trucks moving and up to speed.

My experience at work with the V-10 and four speed tranny is part of the reason I went with the Workhorse Chassis. The other is an old school way of thinking, cubic inches. It's hard to compete when your at 415ci and the other guy's at 496ci. Then throw in the Allison tranny, and you are going to have your hands full.

The good thing is this kind of competition between Ford and Workhorse means the consumer will have better products . Be Safe !!!!

93 Wrangler, 20' Santek Trailer
SoCal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #44
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
MIKE & MOE,
If you are looking to get a Georgetown with two baths the Ford chassis may not be able to support the 37' coach. Had Ford chassis on two Newmars I had to add leaf springs on one an air bags on the other so coachs could clear rear wheels when coach rocked back an forth. Wheels rub top of wheel well.
Have a Newmar now with bath & 1/2 on WH couldn't be happier. ---"007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, it's the 370TS and is still available for 2006 on a W22, although I think a W24 would be a better choice. They also now show over 3,000 extra for the new Ford chassis, so the price difference may not be much.

DriVer ... Arlington has a 2006 on a Ford, check the website if you get a chance, and see ya soon !!!!!!! Camp T is ready !!!!
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #46

Just stopped at our new RV dealer in town. Tennessee Out Doors. They have a new batch of Geaorge Towns in All on the new Ford chassis. So guess Geroge Twon is switching.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #47

For whatever it's worth, our 2000 37'8" double slide Residency is built on the Ford chassis which supports our coach with no problem. Have not found it necessary to add any components to strenghten the factory equipped suspension.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know if this is allowed, but this is a site that sells 2006's and shows WH is available --- http://shekinah.com/index2.html
Old 07-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It now seems that Forest River does not use the WH chassis, preferring the Ford for pricing reasons.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #50

My opinion is, the diehard Ford people will always swear by their Fords, for better or worse. And the Chevy people will do the same thing. I happen to be one of the "Chevy people", so I have the workhorse chassis. I think I have the better engine and the better (Allison) transmission. I have little faith in Ford transmissions. I know too many people that lost them prematurely. I test drove a couple of V10's before I settled on the workhorse, and you have to rev the V10 so high to squeeze the power out, it sounds like its going to blow up (pinging sound). As far as the cost difference, I paid an extra $4800 to upgrade from the Ford to Workhorse chassis on my 05 Bounder. To me it was worth it.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #51

mcpdjohn has it pretty much correct. But for Driver to show such bias and still call himself an "Administrator" is rediculous! The fact is that there are good and bad points to both chassis and the only reason that there is a Workhors chassis is the fact that Ford was beating GM so badly that they gave up and sold the chassis division! And it is also a fact today that the Workhorse, although it has some good things going for it, the chassis is so heavy that the motorhome built on it have a complete lack of CCC! Read the reviews in Motorhome Magazine and others. The same coach that has a 2000# CCC when on a Ford chassis will have 600# when built on Driver's chassis.

With bias like that, do you suppose that he has any idea of why some people are leaving this forum and going to places like RV.Net?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #52
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk:
for Driver to show such bias and still call himself an "Administrator" is ridiculous! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My information is obtained from the same resources that are available to you or anyone. I don't make this stuff up and for the most part I believe this is why people come here for good concise information about Workhorse chassis. Knowing where to get answers when asked makes you in touch with your audience.

The complete lack of CCC as you were alluding to is not the fault of the chassis builder. Given the same size in floor plan over a half dozen different manufacturers the weight could vary as much as 1000 pounds.

The reason why the Workhorse rail weighs more is because is made from the same stuff as a rear diesel pusher, 50,000 psi steel. If you look in the Bible it'll even tell you that the strongest house is only as strong as its foundation. Workhorse has a great foundation and it needs to make no apology there.

The increasing capabilities of the gas chassis now taken to the next level in the W-24 is still showing at times CCC challenges in some OEM's floorplans. Of note here would be that the competitive chassis isn't even considered as a viable option.

If given the opportunity to provide a W30 as an extreme example, I'm sure that the OEMs would load her right up. Why with ceramic tile floors and perhaps 4 slideouts and many more creature comforts and residential style amenities that we the public are demanding the weight can range increasingly close to the GVW of the vehicle yielding marginal CCCs at best.

The trade magazines have published and continue to publish numerous accolades regarding Workhorse products. The detractors or specifications on some competitive products may show increased weight carrying capacities however this is directly related to the competitors lack of steel in their frame. Where Workhorse provides a continuous rail from front to rear this is clearly not the case with the competitor's tapered rail.

On my 38 foot chassis I have a CCC of close to 1750 pounds. I believe that you were trying to point out that the F53 WFG38G carried more but the chassis weighs less and I do believe that the F53 only came in 19.5 inch rubber that year saving more weight.

Given the choice I chose 22.5 inch rubber, an Allison transmission and a rail with all the characteristics of a rear diesel pusher. I think I made a very good decision.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk:
...the chassis is so heavy that the motorhome built on it have a complete lack of CCC! Read the reviews in Motorhome Magazine and others. The same coach that has a 2000# CCC when on a Ford chassis will have 600# when built on Driver's chassis.

With bias like that, do you suppose that he has any idea of why some people are leaving this forum and going to places like RV.Net? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad information.
As I posted to this same line of misinformation on RV.Net, I checked the CCC of the WH and Ford 22k lb. chassis' on different coaches when shopping for mine and they were all within a few pounds of each other.
Also, RV Consumer's Group lists the CCC of all available rigs with both chassis. Their data is fairly accurate as the CCC they list for my 37DB is within 30 lbs. of my actual CCC.
In reviewing their data, every example I could find (on the 2004 CD) where both chassis' were offered in the same coach, the Ford and WH offered nearly identical CCC- within 20 lbs. of each other. The only disparity was when the same model was available on two different GVWR chassis, then the CCC advantage goes to the higher-capacity chassis regardless of brand.

While there may be minor advantages in one chassis or the other, CCC isn't it.

Also- the difference in CCC between Driver's chassis and the same coach comparably equipped on the Ford chassis is 378 lbs.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #54
Ned

Hey, what happened to the half dozen posts over the weekend....did they get deleted??
Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #55

Ned, that is what happens if you disagree with DriVer.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #56
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ned, that is what happens if you disagree with DriVer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's a good one!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote