Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I also built wood ramps to drive up on, they are high enough to deflate the bags and have room to change oil, filters, and other work. Trusting air bags or hydraulics to save me isn't in my plans.
X2 - with air deflated, plenty of room to get underneath. Three 2-inch planks screwed together. Feel a lot safer that way.

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Monaco had more room under it and I could just put some wood blocks under the edges in case it dropped. My Newmar with the Freightliner chassis is much closer to the ground and my big butt doesn't fit. I also made wood ramps that I could drive on to. Jack stands are nice, but if you intend to move around and do things like lubing the chassis, they can get in the way.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
There is no way I would be under the MH without Stands. Here are some thoughts on the use of stands.
1. get stand to support the weight.
2. Stands sold in sets of 2 are for the total weight supported. IE 12K lbs = 6 K lbs ea.
3. make sure the stands are on concrete or a 3/4 in plywood square on solid ground.
4. Lower the vehicle frame to the be supported completely by the stands.
(do not allow air space between the load and the stand. If the load drop the impact energy may be more than the stand or supporting surface can handle.)
5. always use both stands on both sides and make sure everything is level.
6. Think ahead.

There are reasonable stands and creeper available at harbor freight
Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

I would trust wooden blocks under the tires FAR more than I would trust Harbor Freight Jack stands. Even if they did hold, there can still be placement issues often not fully understood by users.

I carry 2" by whatever blocks for leveling purposes anyway. Took my time and made a nice set with rope handles that are frequently used under the jacks and/or tires. 2" blocks 3 layers deep under the tires couldn't be any more stable or easy to use and allow plenty of room for this way overweight 6'+ frame to move around on a creeper easily.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that blocking under wheels is safe. Blocks themselves can crack unexpectedly. I find it takes time and rolling up on blocks can be a little tricky if they slip under the torque of the turning wheel.
My preference and all the truck repair locations I go to use jacks. I am satisfied the jack stands from HF are suitable for the work I use them for and not certain that any other stands would be of much better quality. Most any you find will come from China. Thousands of people around the world use them.

I have my own set of reinforced blocks and have plywood screwed and glued on both sides. At our boat club, We used wood blocks to hold up our boats for years until one time the blocks cracked, kill the fellow club member. We now use boat stands and no blocks allowed. see my blocks and the crack in the middle.

Each to their own.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm a risk-taker, cause I don't worry about jack stands when I slip under to drain oil or spin off a filter. Doing mechanical work, where I might dislodge an air line or some such, would be a different story, though. On most terrain, I can fit under the back end anyway, so I probably wouldn't get crushed even if the hydraulic jacks blew out. It's tight, though, so I usually have the jacks down a bit too to get easier access.

Front (generator work) is not so easy. Need to have substantial jacking to get to the oil & fuel filters, and it's not a 2 minute job either. Have to have some safety supports for that.

One piece of "under the coach safety" that rarely gets mentioned is the risk of having people or pets inside when working underneath. Both of those can and do accidentally hit jack or air dump switches. Our cat has activated most every switch that remains alive with the ignition off, at one time or another. I don't do any work requiring even an arm underneath unless people have been warned and pets placed under control.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
What safety precautions do you have to take if you want to work under a DP with an air bag suspension? I slid under the Alpine coach we were considering to look at the steering gear. As I was looking up under the coach it occurred to me that the coach was sitting on air bags and that it could be dangerous to crawl under there. That feeling was driven home a few days later when we were at another RV lot and they had a Dutch Star DP which was sitting very low, almost touching the ground. The salesman said the air suspension had been dumped and that's why it was sitting so low.

Our coach has only air leveling. I bought a pair of the Harbor Freight 12 Ton jack stands. I raise the area I'm working under as high as it will go with the air bags, then put the jacks near where I will be working!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #22

Use stands; do NOT get under there with air bags or hydraulic leveling jacks.

Last year I pulled into a campsite, ran the jacks and two days later WHOMP the rear of the coach dropped. A hydraulic hose sprung a leak where it had been installed running across a frame member 23 years ago.

If I'd been under there I'd have been, as DW says, "flatter than a flitter!"
Old 12-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our coach has only air leveling. I bought a pair of the Harbor Freight 12 Ton jack stands. I raise the area I'm working under as high as it will go with the air bags, then put the jacks near where I will be working!
I hope that when you put them where you are working, the contact point has adequate frame to support the weight of the MH proportionally. Also that the MH has been lowered onto the jack stand and is not be supported at all by the air bags. You also realize that the individual jack stand is rated at 6 TON (12K Lbs.)
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I hope that when you put them where you are working, the contact point has adequate frame to support the weight of the MH proportionally. Also that the MH has been lowered onto the jack stand and is not be supported at all by the air bags.
Quote:
You also realize that the individual jack stand is rated at 6 TON (12K Lbs.
)

Yep, I'm aware of that. Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote