Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Working under Diesel Pusher........advice

Never have liked working under things, but have done it many times with cars and previous gasser motor homes. New to us is our 07 Kountry Star. 3912 DP.
I have yet to get under it. It is low when air is dumped and jacks are down. Do I work under it with air bags full and no jacks. The street in front of the house is sloped such that to level the rig the nose is down, the rear is up, and the starboard side, next to the curb is up.
I am not sure if I can even slide under the front.
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Unless you are working on the levelers it doesn't need to be level to work on most other things. Lift all jacks the same amount and slide under. The only thing about level is when draining the engine oil you may leave a 1/2 quart in the pan. That won't hurt a bit.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
To be safe it would be best to place jack stands under frame.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Get a couple of jack stands rated for the maximum load your rig would need, front or back, and crawl under. I use the jacks to raise the RV up, then slide a couple of jack stands under the frame and squirm around underneath with no worries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is pretty level in the yard, just slightly nose down. I have no concerns working underneath to change oil in the engine (rear) or generator (front) and similar stuff with the hydraulic jacks only, but I would never mess with suspension or jacks without a mechanical jack stand under the frame. I think the coach hydraulics are more dependable than my inexpensive floor jack, and mechanical jack stands capable of handling my 20,0000 lb rear axle weight don't come cheap.

I also don't let humans or pets inside the coach while I'm underneath - a slight risk risk that the jack switch might get hit and I get squished.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I can get under mine when the air is out of the suspension to do oil change and lube the zerks. Seems a tad tight at times but I don't worry about it falling on me. When I needed more space when I changed the air dryer filters I ran the rear tires up on stacked 2X10's. BTW I don't think that if it was aired up and something in the system failed that it would drop like a rock but some people are concerned about that potential and being trapped or crushed.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
20,0000 lb rear axle weight don't come cheap.
I bet they don't.

To the OP, seriously, be very careful. You don't get a do over, usually. Get jack stands rated individually for the axle weight, drive up on blocks, build and use cribbing. A pit is the best way, but who can afford those? There are also four post jacks…..

Some things I have done, like my air dryer. It's an easy service but almost inaccessible but for a pit.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

Make your own jack stands. Build yourself some ramps, to raise up your front or the rear. And they won't break either, very safe. Use a 2 hand truck for moveing to avoid a hernia.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Make your own jack stands. Build yourself some ramps, to raise up your front or the rear.
C'mon. You're implying everyone has a metal shop, raw materials, and the equipment it takes to do heavy duty metal fabrication? Seriously?
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Get some 2 x 12's & make your own short ramps. Drive onto them & do what you need to do.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Get some 2 x 12's & make your own short ramps. Drive onto them & do what you need to do.
That is what I did. I found some "pre-owned" 2X8's, cut them to 4', 3', and 2' lengths, stacked them and nailed them together to make step-ramps. That raises the rear of my MH 5", when the air bags are dumped my MH sits about 8" high, the total is about a foot clearance for me to slide under for working. That's enough room for working, but my belly gets in the way sometimes.
I also chock the other end wheels, I don't tempt Mr. Murphy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is what I did. I found some "pre-owned" 2X8's, cut them to 4', 3', and 2' lengths, stacked them and nailed them together to make step-ramps. That raises the rear of my MH 5", when the air bags are dumped my MH sits about 8" high, the total is about a foot clearance for me to slide under for working. That's enough room for working, but my belly gets in the way sometimes.
I also chock the other end wheels, I don't tempt Mr. Murphy.
Same here. Drill two holes completely thru the side and string a short rope to use like a suitcase handle when carrying. Perfect for oil changes.
Always support Both dual tires on each side.

Search the forum for pictures and ideas.

Dan
Old 05-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Mine is pretty level in the yard, just slightly nose down. I have no concerns working underneath to change oil in the engine (rear) or generator (front) and similar stuff with the hydraulic jacks only, but I would never mess with suspension or jacks without a mechanical jack stand under the frame. I think the coach hydraulics are more dependable than my inexpensive floor jack, and mechanical jack stands capable of handling my 20,0000 lb rear axle weight don't come cheap.

I also don't let humans or pets inside the coach while I'm underneath - a slight risk risk that the jack switch might get hit and I get squished.
Not all that bad Amazon.com: Torin T41202 12 Ton Jack Stands (Sold in Pairs): Automotive
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ramps are a good idea, and fairly reasonable as well. If the air started to go while under there I dont know if I could get out before it got too low for me not to get out.
Don't chance it.

Tags
advice, diesel