Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
What if you have a tag axle....do you put stands under both axles? Also, with my coach, as soon as you hit the leveler's down switch, it automatically dumps the air bags.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
I just lay on my creepy crawler and roll around.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Something like this?

Where do you position them, thanks.
Those are the exact ones I have. I position them along the frame rails as needed depending on where I'm working. This is after pumping up the air bags as high as they'll go.
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DFT-tag
Maxxforce 10 RR10R
Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ

SPLAT - that is the sound of your body under the MH upon failure of air or hydraulic connection. Early on, I was advised to NEVER enter under the MH without JACK stands. I got mine from HF 12 ton. That is the combined weight capacity using TWO stands, NOT JUST ONE.

I have seen Hydralic failure in pressure lines and you don't have time to react let alone get out from under the rig. How valuable is you LIFE ?

In all the times I visit OTR shop, they never work under a rig without the saftey stands. think about it. As for the air bags. NEVER trust them.
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
Freightliner Owners Club
Locate my photos in the Members Gallery to view the 2x12, six inch ramps I use to raise my rig up safely. Using a creeper, I can roll under both axles with plenty of clearance and not worry about anything collapsing to cause injury.

The cribbing under the jacks insures the frame stays where it is supposed to be. As the air bags deflate, the MH settles safely on the cribbing.

The cribbing idea came from discussions at Camp Freightliner several years ago.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
I'm a mechanic and would never get under any vehicle that has been lifted unless there are jack stands in place, why would you risk your life?
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
Thor Owners Club
Mike Cody at Camp Freightliner had a good suggestion (well, more like he insisted on it, and you wouldn't want to argue with him). He said NEVER work under a coach without safety blocks. To build your own, air up your coach, then measure the clearance under the (retracted) jack stands. Then you build blocks out of 4x4s (or were they 6x6s?) to fit under the jacks. He showed us a picture of his -- I seem to recall he would lay two 4x4 pieces side by side, then two more lying perpendicular on top of those, etc. until you get to the height you need. All bolted together, you have solid (and heavy!) stands that guarantee your coach stays at travel height while you work under it. If the suspension loses air, the coach just settles onto the blocks. When you're done, fire up either the air or the levelers to raise it off the blocks, and pull them out. (Helps if you staple a rope handle onto each one for pulling out and carrying the blocks.)

I admit, I haven't done it yet. I thought an easier alternative might be to create same using a chain saw and a good solid tree trunk. I think I'll put that on my list of projects ...
Crabby Mike
2014 Tuscany 40RX
towing 2016 Grand Cherokee
Crabby Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I raise my rig with my front levelers and use two jack stands.

I know the jack stands work because one time I forgot to remove the jackstands and retracted the levelers.

Held up just fine!

So, specifically, I would suggest you doing the same thing I did.

Test to make sure the jack stands work.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Drop the Hydraulic levers and work on the rig. Hyd are very safe. That is why they are used. I
I am aware of two incidents in field repair situations where the hydraulic system failed and the raised frame of a detachable container (roll off) truck collapsed down to the chassis rail and killed the mechanic working over the chassis rail. The result was not pretty.....

I would not trust my remaining life to a hydraulic jack!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought two of the 12-ton jack stands from Harbor Freight to use anytime I'm under there doing anything!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
One must ask oneself; " Do I feel lucky ". and if all goes well and nothing happens while you"re under the rig, go buy a lotto ticket too, because, you"re on a roll...just saying! ... I'm not going under there without stands! My luck sucks!
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #26
Freightliner Owners Club
PICT00691 - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Chek this out for ramps and cribbing. Ramps for all six tires and cribbing under each jack to settle on as the air bleeds out of the air bags. Very stable, it's not going to collapse on anyone.

'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote