Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Granted I do not have a DP. But do the lift jacks and suspension fail that often? I have seen DP's parked w/tires lifted off the ground for a month and longer. I agree it's probably still not safe to crawl under, but hopefully the jack failure risk is a pretty low occurance.
Gary's post from above makes sense to me!
They only need to fail once to ruin your day.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
They only need to fail once to ruin your day.

Based on that thought, I'd better stay in bed for the rest of my life.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
No, I do not trust the jacks as reliable as they are. All it takes is the one in a million failure and you are done. If you are going to work on the coach, build a set of these ramps. They raise the coach six inches and gives plenty of room to work underneath whether the air suspension is up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WorkRamps.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	233651  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #18

Hydraulic jack failure is rare but can happen, at any moment.

If your working under the lifted MH and knock a fitting off or cut a hose, down it comes.

I worked in two heavy equipment shops for 35 years and never saw a sudden jack failure but we all still used stands or blocks to hold the load. We all did take some oil baths and had some crushed fingers from hydraulic failures of some kind or another.

Even with my floor jack, while doing car brakes, I always push the removed tire under the car body, in case the jack comes down.

If I had MH jacks, I would scrounge up 4 peices of 1/4 thick aluminum angle. They can be cut to length and easily tied against the jack piston when fully extended. That's what we used on pay loader bucket, lift cylinders, if the arms needed to be raised and supported for access.
You don't need to let them support the load, just know that they can, if things go south.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If I don't need the wheels to be off the ground, I drive the coach on to two 2X10s stacked on top of each other. Then I place a jack stand made of laminated layers of 3/8 plywood under each jack pad and lower the suspension until the motor home is sitting on the plywood jack stands.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I would second Gary's comment If I can get under it with air down then it is safe in my mind and the added work space is nice. Second, Failure of the jacks would be just about as likely as getting zapped by lightning. I do however understand those who have a fear of a lot of things.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #21

On most of the larger DP's there is a valve underneath that if you push it lets the air down very fast so you have to be aware of that if leaving the air bags inflated

Hydraulic failures should be slower but they are faster than you might think

If you were employed by someone with insurance you would be required to block up whatever you had raised that had wheels off the ground

Simply common sense
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #22

My MH blew a jack hose a couple of years ago. That corner came down RIGHT THAT INSTANT and bounced. I think it would be unsurvivable.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No I don't trust my levelers. I use two jackstands that I know will support my RV.

How do I know you may ask...I forgot to remove the stands one day and dropped the front end on them. They held fine.

Over the years I've read several newspaper articles where guys have been killed or trapped underneath their cars. I don't want to be a news article.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Never,

Wood cribbing or metal jacks
I'd never bet my life on a hydraulic hose never rupturing. Two years ago a mechanic did not use cribbing or jack-stands, he died from suffocation when the MH lost air pressure to the suspension and pinned him underneath.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm a bit more pragmatic. If I can fit under without raising it on the jacks, i.e. it wouldn't crush me when down, then I don't worry about raising it on the jacks for more work room and easier access. That's for working on things that don't involve suspension and such, e.g. changing oil filter or stringing a wire. I have some rules too, e.g. nobody, especially kids & dogs, inside the coach where they might hit the air dump or jacks switch.

My coach generally sits high enough I can slide under the frame rails and body sides, but several inches more makes life a whole lot easier.
Watch for bounce. My not kill but the impact can make it hard to crawl even if the load is not on you.
As a teenager, I had a VW fall and pin me. I could push up enough to breath, but can't move while holding it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Hydraulic jack failure is rare but can happen, at any moment.

If your working under the lifted MH and knock a fitting off or cut a hose, down it comes.

If I had MH jacks, I would scrounge up 4 peices of 1/4 thick aluminum angle. They can be cut to length and easily tied against the jack piston when fully extended. That's what we used on pay loader bucket, lift cylinders, if the arms needed to be raised and supported for access.
You don't need to let them support the load, just know that they can, if things go south.
For a vertical jack, I would want the brace to be 'C' shaped, and have some sort of strap to hold it in place...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #26

Hydraulic systems designed to have people under the working gear (like cranes), or for that matter, on the working gear (like man lifts and elevators) have additional valving that MH stabilizers do not have. Like flow fuses (to guard against hose burst) or load-holding valves (piloted counterbalance or pilot check valves to prevent motion not driven by the engine), usually in cavities machined right into the cylinder. And additional valves downstream of the load-holding valve(s). Truck crane outriggers, and hydraulic boom cylinders on cranes and manlifts (including scissor lifts) use such valving, with cylinders and mounting structures designed for that loading. Motor coaches do not.

Dump trucks and track and wheel loaders use struts to back up the hydraulics when working under the working gear (truck body or bucket in the air). Machines like that are not designed to have someone under the moving bits, supported only by hydraulics.

I've investigated construction accidents caused by hydraulic failures, including fatal accidents, and that's with machinery with far more redundant systems specifically designed for lifting personnel or having personnel underneath.

Please don't get under there with the typically marginal (at best) hydraulics or pneumatics as the only support. That stuff is fine for what it was designed to do, but not for supporting a lifted load with someone underneath. A few seconds to place heavy jack stands or wooden cribbing can save your life in the unlikely, but too often occurring (if reports of hose failures on this board are true), event of hose or structural cylinder/frame/connection failure.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #27

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/sprin...ngfield-police

Found that on page one of google search "man crushed by rv."

Don't ever trust your jacks.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
No, I do not trust the jacks as reliable as they are. All it takes is the one in a million failure and you are done. If you are going to work on the coach, build a set of these ramps. They raise the coach six inches and gives plenty of room to work underneath whether the air suspension is up or down.
I like this idea. If I dump the air on my DP, there are many places I cant get to underneath. If I was in one of these places, and an air line blew or such, I would be in trouble. I would think on these blocks, you would be safe pretty much anywhere.

Tags
jacks