Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
So the TQ values are 'wet' values? Just curious as I know there is a difference in wet v. dry TQ values in the automotive world.
Excellent question.
My understanding is the torque values are a dry thread value. Here is a interesting web site discussing the subject of lubricating studs. Check out the last paragraph on Lubrication.

It's Really All About Lug Nuts - Tire Review Magazine

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
So the TQ values are 'wet' values? Just curious as I know there is a difference in wet v. dry TQ values in the automotive world.
Your question prompted me to look at what others say about this. I just found a recommendation by Alcoa Wheels that seems to indicate the torque values are a wet value. see pages 32 and 34

https://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/ca...al-English.pdf

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #17

BigD 9 Where did you get the tire caddy? I am going to guess HF Any info. thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler62 View Post
BigD 9 Where did you get the tire caddy? I am going to guess HF Any info. thanks in advance.
Well.....it was back in 2003+- and I don't rightly remember. It was either Harbor Freight or a similar place in Fort Myers, Florida. I remember my Dad pointed to it and said "now that is what you need" and he bought it for me for I believe $31

Update: I had to perform a Goggle Earth search for the area where I thought the store was located and I found out it was a Northern Tool. Here is a Web Link
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0582_200500582
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Well.....it was back in 2003+- and I don't rightly remember. It was either Harbor Freight or a similar place in Fort Myers, Florida. I remember my Dad pointed to it and said "now that is what you need" and he bought it for me for I believe $31

Update: I had to perform a Goggle Earth search for the area where I thought the store was located and I found out it was a Northern Tool. Here is a Web Link
Omega Tire Dolly — 300-Lb. Capacity, Model# 93030 | Wheel Dollies| Northern Tool + Equipment
I got lucky on the purchase of ours. We were at the infamous Quartzsite RV swap meet and venders event one year. On the north side of I-10, there's an area called: The Main Event. As you enter it, there's two tool stores (about 99.999999% Chineese etc.) on the left hand side. I picked up two of those tire/wheel dollies for $20.00 each. A friend got the second one while I kept the first one. It's been working flawlessly ever since.

We've been back to Quartzsite a few times since and, each time, I venture into those two tool stores to see if they have any and, nope, it's not happening. I've looked at Harbor Freight extensively and, they don't have one either, kind-a odd since they got a copy of just about everything else.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #20

I think lubing the threads helps to get even torque on all the nuts and prevents any galling of the threads. I use a little oil on the bearing portion of the nut also. I spray it on then wipe the excess off. Second reason I can think of is when you slide that heavy aluminum rim over those threads without alignment sleeves or "pins" as they call them the grease may prevent damaging the threads to some degree. Also the directions that came with the tru balance sleeves says to use grease. That being said I put a lot of tires on many oil field heavy trucks back in the day with no apparent damage, but I was young and they were not my trucks, never occurred to me to use lube back then. Didn't know how dangerous changing tires on split rims was either. I lived to tell, ignorance is bliss. I have gotten wiser with age.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Your question prompted me to look at what others say about this. I just found a recommendation by Alcoa Wheels that seems to indicate the torque values are a wet value. see pages 32 and 34

https://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/ca...al-English.pdf
Thanks I now have a new appreciation of the complexities of truck tire mounting and maintenance; nothing in the automotive world compares except the distinction between wet and dry TQ values. There are certain parts that should be lubed (in addition to the studs) and others that must remain dry. I'll leave all this up to a professional.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
I think lubing the threads helps to get even torque on all the nuts and prevents any galling of the threads. I use a little oil on the bearing portion of the nut also.
Alcoa manual says to put '2 drops' of motor oil on the engagement threads only. Definately don't lube the bearing face of the cap nut! Recommend reading the Alcoa manual posted by Bigd9 (who I assume knows alot about about Cat D9 tractors).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks I now have a new appreciation of the complexities of truck tire mounting and maintenance; nothing in the automotive world compares except the distinction between wet and dry TQ values. There are certain parts that should be lubed (in addition to the studs) and others that must remain dry. I'll leave all this up to a professional.
NOOOOOOO In my past life I saw so many mistakes the "Professionals" made it made me promise myself I would never leave it to them ever again!

Quote:
Alcoa manual says to put '2 drops' of motor oil on the engagement threads only. Definately don't lube the bearing face of the cap nut! Recommend reading the Alcoa manual posted by Bigd9 (who I assume knows alot about about Cat D9 tractors).
Curious why you said that? Do you know me? Very few people know this story.

Yes I worked around very large construction equipment all my life in road construction. A D9 tractor is a huge tractor. In fact, I got up close and personal with one once at a rock quarry when it backed over me and crushing the pickup truck I was driving. These things have very large blind spots especially when backing up, and the operator simply did not see me sitting at a crossroad in the rock quarry. The pickup truck roof ended up about thigh high and squashed me below it for several tense moments until they brought in another tractor and together the two skilled operators using two D9's peeled the roof right off the truck to expose me. Now if you ever want to get your heart started, you should be trapped and looking straight up and watch a tractor blade that is probably 12 feet wide and 9 feet tall drop down right next to your ear and slice the truck your are trapped in like a knife going through butter! Good news is I am still here but with several pounds of screws, pins and metal plates holding my spine and one leg together!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #24

I leave tire changing to those younger, stronger "experts". I worked in mining for years, very large and heavy equipment. Not taking those chances anymore. An aside: a friend and rabid DIY guy saved $150 doing his own tire rotation. The back surgery, and resultant 21 weeks of recovery rehab, was much more expensive. I did the math, no tire work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #25

Well Gang,
All I can say is, I've lubed the threads/lugs of just about every vehicle I've ever owned. That includes 8 jeeps, 4 motorhomes, a dozen pickups, 20-30 cars and, a few dozen motorcycles. As of yet, no wheels/tires have passed me up on the freeway due to them breaking loose on their own, due to lubing the threads. And this is in about a 50 year period.

And, I've done this on all of my boat trailer axles too. Iv'e seen many, many broken wheel studs due to non-lubing and the gorillas with their gorilla air guns just turn up the torque to break them loose only to BREAK them off.

I lube my M/H studs, install the lug nuts, then torque them to value. Done. I have experimented with dry lug studs and lubed ones and, even with that 4' long K/D 3/4" drive torque wrench, it's hard to tell the difference. Works for me.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #26

Bigd9 Thanks for link. I just wish it were still a $30 item but will still buy it unless I find one at a car show.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #27

I agree with Fire up. I would not put lug nuts on without anti seize under any conditions down here on the coast.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Torque Multiplier - Instructions?

I picked up the ebay version of the torque multiplier based on the info in this thread, $39, and it arrived in 3 days!

It's very heavy duty and comes in a nice little case. I noticed that there were no instructions so I contacted the seller. They responded quickly and said that there are no instructions.

I'm sure I can figure it out, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on using it. Reading all of the replies to this thread it looks like it can be used to torque the lugs back on, can anyone confirm this? I have a torque wrench that goes up to 160 lbs, and I'm thinking that I could use it along with a little math to get the right torque output. My wheels require 450 -500 lbs (manual says 475).

Thanks!

kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote