Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Worlds best lug wrench

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but it didn't pop up when searching--

But - if you're the do-it-yourself'er type like I am, who will tackle any project whenever possible rather than paying someone else to do it-- such as changing out your own 22.5 tires on your diesel pusher, then if you don't already have one of these, YOU SHOULD GET ONE!

I paid all of $42 to my door for this:

--and I've never spent better money in my life!

I bent the right rear inside rim about a month ago, bad enough I have to replace it. And I decided that rather than drive the the thing on 5 tires to the tire shop or pay them to come out, I'd try to pull the tires & wheels myself. I bought this on ebay, and it works just plain fantastic. While I could've removed the lugs using only one arm, I'm 62 years old and used both --for a few cranks anyway! But the effort needed is minimal, and the thing works! It cranks at a 59:1 ratio, and just slowly loosens the lug nuts. Takes about 30 cranks to get it loose enough to remove with just the handle. After a couple of handle turns, they came off easy with my fingers.

I don't sell 'em, I just like to spread the word when I find something that works! I just about bought a $300 "earthquake" air impact wrench when I ran across these things. There's several versions of them on ebay, this one had 3 sockets and a socket adapter (some have more or less) for $42 (today it's $39), and yeah it's from China but it's cast iron and seems well enough made. I wish I had one of these years ago, especially for those 19.5" wheel that the lugs nuts seem to weld themselves to! I've bent the crap out of more than one 4-way on those wheels...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

Was this item ,marketed under the name " Worlds Best Lug wrench "?
Amazon ?
3/4" drive or 1" ?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Here's the link to the ebay version:

Torque Multiplier Set Wrench Lug Nut Labor Saving Lugnuts Remover 4pcs Socket | eBay
Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

I have been using a Torque Multiplier for years now to remove the tires and other stubborn nuts/bolts. Mine is made by Proto. I can input 150 foot pounds of pressure, and the multiplier will output around 500 ft-lbs.

I also found this tool very helpful. It is a tire caddy. I can very easily remove the heavy wheel assemblies, and roll them out of the way, or even better, I can roll the tire up to the hub, raise the tire till the holes and the studs are at the same elevation as the studs, rotate the tire until the holes in the wheel align, then slip the tire back onto the hub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poto Torque Mulitplier.png
Views:	139
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	133464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Dolly 2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	133465  

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes there are a couple versions with different reductions...only issue is you can't use them to reliably torque the nuts back on but work great in an emergency situation (Unless you spend the $$$$$ on a big torque wrench). I thought about multiplying the torque by 59 and using the reducer but not sure how much loss there is in all the gears.

Also, depending on if you have axle covers or not it might not fit well (the little bracing arm might not squeeze between the axle cover and the lug).
dmurdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The Chenglish instructions say when tightening, to tighten to the point where the handle will rebound 1/2 turn to where tension starts, which is near 400nm (295 ft pounds). I assume that would be plenty until you can have a tire shop check it.

I believe 22.5 motorhome wheels have a 450lb torque rating- And I also believe that while loosening, the handle rebound was more like 3/4 turn than 1/2 turn, but I really wasn't paying that much attention...

The tightening up part I haven't done yet, so I'll check the rebound of another lug nut, and just do the reverse...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #7

I've had one of those for about 4 years now. I got mine off of ebay. Only mine was a bit more in cost. I think it ran me close to $165.00 or so, including shipping, maybe. Been too long. Mine is a 75:1 version. I can sit on my little stool and, WITH ONE ARM, break all 10, 450 lb. lug nuts on one wheel, in about 8 minutes or so.

I didn't get it to do Indianapolis pit crew tire changes, just break things loose. But, even at the leisure pace, it's about 8 minutes or so. I too have one of those tire dollies. That's a must for handling those 255 x 80R x 22.5" tires that are either Alloy (at 127 lbs) or, Steel (at 148 lbs.).

I also purchased a KD, 100-600 lb. Click type torque wrench off of ebay, for a whopping $75.00 that had recently been calibrated.

With those three tools, I can do my own brake inspections, maintenance, hub seal replacements, Wheel polishing, and more. If you're going to dabble in this kind of stuff, it sure as heck pays to have at least some of the correct tools to make the job easier.
Scott

P.S. Along with the tools listed, I also have a motorcycle jack that I use to remove the 75 lb. drums. It's way better than trying to man-handle them in precarious positions. I like to protect my back.

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

On my lug nuts, it indicates to tighten them to 450 to 500 ft/lbs. I use the torque multiplier and shoot for the 480 mark. That should account for any losses. I had a shop check them once, and their torque wrench showed exactly the same torque I had set the lugs at using the torque multiplier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	133477  
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I've had one of those for about 4 years now. I got mine off of ebay. Only mine was a bit more in cost. I think it ran me close to $165.00 or so, including shipping, maybe. Been too long. Mine is a 75:1 version. I can sit on my little stool and, WITH ONE ARM, break all 10, 450 lb. lug nuts on one wheel, in about 8 minutes or so.

I didn't get it to do Indianapolis pit crew tire changes, just break things loose. But, even at the leisure pace, it's about 8 minutes or so. I too have one of those tire dollies. That's a must for handling those 255 x 80R x 22.5" tires that are either Alloy (at 127 lbs) or, Steel (at 148 lbs.).

I also purchased a KD, 100-600 lb. Click type torque wrench off of ebay, for a whopping $75.00 that had recently been calibrated.

With those three tools, I can do my own brake inspections, maintenance, hub seal replacements, Wheel polishing, and more. If you're going to dabble in this kind of stuff, it sure as heck pays to have at least some of the correct tools to make the job easier.
Scott

P.S. Along with the tools listed, I also have a motorcycle jack that I use to remove the 75 lb. drums. It's way better than trying to man-handle them in precarious positions. I like to protect my back.
I like the motorcycle jack idea. I remember the first time I remove the drum and in spite of my super human strength the weight of that chunk of steel surprised me and suddenly it was heading South right toward my toes!

You know Scott, you need to put on a class on polishing the aluminum wheels at a rally sometime. I'll volunteer my very dirty/tarnished wheels for you to demonstrate on!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I have been using a Torque Multiplier for years now to remove the tires and other stubborn nuts/bolts. Mine is made by Proto. I can input 150 foot pounds of pressure, and the multiplier will output around 500 ft-lbs.

I also found this tool very helpful. It is a tire caddy. I can very easily remove the heavy wheel assemblies, and roll them out of the way, or even better, I can roll the tire up to the hub, raise the tire till the holes and the studs are at the same elevation as the studs, rotate the tire until the holes in the wheel align, then slip the tire back onto the hub.
I have the same Proto multiplier. Traded a personal protective device for it some years ago. With the huge tires the rig has I'm not sure I want to tackle them . Those 365/70 front and tag tires are huge and drive ones aren't any smaller with 315/80's.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

I bought one last fall and used it on about two dozen tires. still works great.

about the same price.

see thread from then "Easy and cheap way to torque lug nuts"
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I like the motorcycle jack idea. I remember the first time I remove the drum and in spite of my super human strength the weight of that chunk of steel surprised me and suddenly it was heading South right toward my toes!

You know Scott, you need to put on a class on polishing the aluminum wheels at a rally sometime. I'll volunteer my very dirty/tarnished wheels for you to demonstrate on!
Hey Pete,
Ya know, not a bad idea on teaching the class. I think I'd use the same teaching technique as Tom Sawyer did.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

Have had the torque multiplier for about 5 years. Great tool but a little on the heavy size. When I bought mine they came in two ratios, I got the lower ratio just in case. Think I paid $130 for it which was a good deal just for the sockets it came with. I have pulled all the tires off both the DP's I have owned. I have a 3/4 impact that works pretty well too but if you get a real tight lug nut it may not get it loose, the torque multiplier will though. Be sure to lube the lug studs. Be careful using the torque multiplier to reinstall lug nuts, you can over torque the nuts easily. You can do it, the directions tell you how but it is good practice to use a torque guage or wrench. To reinstall I use a lug tool that came with the coach. I welded a piece of hardened round steel in a steel reducer in the end of 1 1/2 gas pipe to fit in the lug tool and a 1/2 drive socket on the other end of the pipe. The pipe and my 1/2 drive torque wrench are 5' and I set the torque wrench to 100 ft lbs. if my math is correct it gets the lugs to 500 ft lbs when the wrench clicks. I have since bought a 450 ft lbs torque stick for my 3/4 drive gun but I don't trust it always so I check with the torque wrench. 1" drive torque wrenches are too expensive for the use I would get out of it.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
Be sure to lube the lug studs.
So the TQ values are 'wet' values? Just curious as I know there is a difference in wet v. dry TQ values in the automotive world.

Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote